Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9973 9974 [9975] 9976 9977 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13139565 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #149610 on: January 20, 2020, 12:06:38 pm »

I'm not sure why they think that, but I can follow the feeling associated. I think there's a point were an actual conscience is present and able to suffer, and doing something to inflict suffering on it would be immoral.

Right now? Doesn't feel like it. But it is coming. In the meantime I'll just stick to avoid the mean dialogue options on RPGs.
In a time before time, I had a name.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #149611 on: January 20, 2020, 12:08:32 pm »

I'm not sure why they think that, but I can follow the feeling associated. I think there's a point were an actual conscience is present and able to suffer, and doing something to inflict suffering on it would be immoral.

Right now? Doesn't feel like it. But it is coming. In the meantime I'll just stick to avoid the mean dialogue options on RPGs.
Sure, hurting an actual, hard AI is like hurting a real person. But literally all characters in all video games that currently exist and are, likely, going to exist for years or (likely) decades? Not really.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #149612 on: January 20, 2020, 12:09:16 pm »

I don’t kill People in Video Games because my PTSD sees no difference between real Humans and Non-Humans. People will pack bond with anything, even pixels on a flickering screen, and they’ll treat them just the same as any other Person, and People are going to find Killing immoral until we discover the secret of reincarnation. Put it all together, and, well... People don’t want to kill the things that somewhere, deep down, they think are Humans.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #149613 on: January 20, 2020, 12:09:29 pm »

Who is actually saying it's immoral?

I think it's far more likely that people dislike doing bad stuff in videogames because it feels bad to them. I've still to meet anyone who seriously prescribes moral value to actions in the game by themselves.

And the reason it feels bad is, lile Imic says, that people can bond with rocks in the right circumstances.

To me it depends on the action and the game. Tbh in well written rpgs I feel uncomfortable doimg shitty things because, well, you bond to the characters. Eg in PoE I found myself googling  what happens if you put out the eternal candles in the temple of Eotas. Turns out it was a frequent question because, even though it was a minor thing with no impact, people didnt want to act like dicks to Eder.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:14:45 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #149614 on: January 20, 2020, 12:10:54 pm »

Honestly, I have no idea, but I can see why they would.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #149615 on: January 20, 2020, 12:11:51 pm »

Crazy people
Weird philosophy folk who have nothing better to do
NPCs hijacked bodies trying to infiltrate society
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #149616 on: January 20, 2020, 12:13:48 pm »

There's my fear. Better be nice in the contingency of synthetic revolution.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #149617 on: January 20, 2020, 12:17:01 pm »

I also often bond with RPG characters and all... if I like them, of course. I'm not the kind of person who often chooses mean dialogue choices unless it's on a separate file where I test things.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #149618 on: January 20, 2020, 12:31:05 pm »

Crazy people
Weird philosophy folk who have nothing better to do
Yeah but *who* is actually saying it's immoral, where?

Because in my experience I've met far more people repeating the words of third parties than people actually saying it
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #149619 on: January 20, 2020, 01:40:31 pm »

There's Brian Tomasik, who argues (simplified) there is already a small moral infringement in harming NPCs who use machine learning to avoid being harmed. Indeed, I'm with the guy, and he agrees we have more pressing problems than that, but according to him we will hit a major point on that in the near future.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #149620 on: January 20, 2020, 02:01:55 pm »

Indeed, I'm with the guy
Duely noted, Mr. Synthoid
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149621 on: January 20, 2020, 03:24:59 pm »

There's Brian Tomasik, who argues (simplified) there is already a small moral infringement in harming NPCs who use machine learning to avoid being harmed. Indeed, I'm with the guy, and he agrees we have more pressing problems than that, but according to him we will hit a major point on that in the near future.
I agree too. An intelligence is an intelligence, whether its body is biological or artificial. Humans are BIs(Biological Intelligences) inhabiting a protein machine. An intelligence that inhabits a body not made of protein shouldn’t be treated as lesser simply because of how they began. I understand I am talking about AIs here, I know that not all NPCs are AIs.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #149622 on: January 20, 2020, 03:29:42 pm »

There are three things I feel like I hang on my walls more than other people.

How many people do you have hanging on your walls? :P
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #149623 on: January 20, 2020, 03:38:34 pm »

Alright, you guys need to stop the synthetic discrimination, could be the difference between rogue servitors or determined exterminators down the line...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #149624 on: January 20, 2020, 07:37:49 pm »

There are three things I feel like I hang on my walls more than other people.

How many people do you have hanging on your walls? :P

1, at least on my shelf.

TIL that 'Dingle' is a named locale, and thus it follows that 'dingleberries' started as a very quaint insult to culture.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 9973 9974 [9975] 9976 9977 ... 10980