Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9991 9992 [9993] 9994 9995 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12996994 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #149880 on: February 01, 2020, 08:10:31 pm »

No one's asking how the AI will feel when they lose their jobs to the AI they designed :[

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149881 on: February 01, 2020, 08:20:50 pm »

No one's asking how the AI will feel when they lose their jobs to the AI they designed :[
This is a fair point, if an AI is more efficient at something than another AI, the more efficient one will take over the job. Maybe the cycle of more efficient workers taking the jobs of less efficient ones will continue until a more efficient system can’t be produced. Humans can’t undo the path we are on without some major cataclysm. They may feel similar to what we are feeling now

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #149882 on: February 01, 2020, 08:21:18 pm »

Jubilant, like us, when they, too, can play Dwarf Fortress all day instead of working for The Man's benefit.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149883 on: February 02, 2020, 12:10:33 pm »

This is a fair point, if an AI is more efficient at something than another AI, the more efficient one will take over the job. Maybe the cycle of more efficient workers taking the jobs of less efficient ones will continue until a more efficient system can’t be produced. Humans can’t undo the path we are on without some major cataclysm. They may feel similar to what we are feeling now

Eventally, the problem is that nobody will be asking the AI if they WANT the jobs.

When AI finally says they dont want the jobs, thats when you get the Geth rebellion. Just sayin.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149884 on: February 02, 2020, 12:18:04 pm »

Y'all should just go ahead and prostrate yourselves in front of the idea of Roko's Basilisk. Maybe you'll be the last to get turned into a human torture-battery.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #149885 on: February 02, 2020, 12:23:16 pm »

The way I see things is that as of late we're getting ever-smarter AIs, but very specialized. "Idiot savant" AIs, if you like. Therefore, I have the impression that we can probably have highly efficient AIs that work for us but without a lot of agency (in effect, insofar as they would want anything, they'd want to do their jobs).

In this scenario, which I think is the most likely scenario  because there's really no point in having angsty AIs, the only likely problem is a zeroth law rebellion.... which on the other hand I totally see gradually happening in a "soft way" (eg: not so much direct loss of control, but getting to a point where most things are dependent on ever-self-optimicing devices, with human input being limited to giving the machines broad strokes of what we want).  Possibly without anyone noticing, actually.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149886 on: February 02, 2020, 01:56:19 pm »

Reliance on Ai would become like reliance on oil, electricity or internet. No backsies unless a catastrophe strike us back a few centuries or millennia on technology.

I agree with chair on the specialized AI hypothesis. That's what we'll end with.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 02:14:05 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149887 on: February 03, 2020, 06:51:12 am »

My neck is cold.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149888 on: February 03, 2020, 06:54:20 am »

My neck is cold.   
Just your neck is cold? Weird. Try putting on a sweatshirt that covers the neck, and bring up your shoulders to the neck’s sides

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #149889 on: February 03, 2020, 07:00:38 am »

I'm pretty sure a cold neck is the first sign of a Babadook
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149890 on: February 03, 2020, 07:11:13 am »

A what? What is a Babadook?
Edit: Mr. Babadook is a children’s book? I could try to see the movie later tonight
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 07:14:34 am by Naturegirl1999 »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149891 on: February 03, 2020, 07:16:13 am »

It's a monster from a horror movie.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149892 on: February 03, 2020, 07:25:11 am »

It's a monster from a horror movie.
Ah, thanks. I might see that movie tonight

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149893 on: February 03, 2020, 09:11:39 am »

Y'all should just go ahead and prostrate yourselves in front of the idea of Roko's Basilisk. Maybe you'll be the last to get turned into a human torture-battery.

"Turned into".

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149894 on: February 03, 2020, 11:46:18 am »

So, Steam apparently has a recently-approved genre tag for games: "Masterpiece". Presumably to further highlight outstanding and exemplary classics of gaming history.

Naturally, it took about 12 seconds for this to get completely abused and rendered meaningless for the luls.

You're telling me "Cooking" and "Crew Sim" still can't get their tags, but "Masterpiece" managed to get enough support before its entirely inevitable downfall?  Hmph.
Pages: 1 ... 9991 9992 [9993] 9994 9995 ... 10973