Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9993 9994 [9995] 9996 9997 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13135790 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #149910 on: February 03, 2020, 07:11:33 pm »

I started a 47.01 fort when it released. 
Then I got Phoebus working partially, until the next day where the 47.01 update was made available. 
Still, I tried to be content with my starting 7. 
Then Dwarf Therapist experimental is available. 
I noticed that I messed up the "roles" I would have like compared to what I assigned from reading the damn z status screen of each dwarf. 
I just realized, it's WTF that I am willing to restart the embark, since I save the world gen before any embark. 
No wonder my forts don't last more than 5 years. 

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149911 on: February 03, 2020, 08:52:55 pm »

It seems that the only offers my portfolio is attracting are unpaid positions.

Even if I was interested in some of these offers, I don't have the free time to take on a project between work and family obligations.

I just never know what to respond with. I usually just end up ghosting them, which feels incredibly rude.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #149912 on: February 03, 2020, 09:03:59 pm »

It seems that the only offers my portfolio is attracting are unpaid positions.

Even if I was interested in some of these offers, I don't have the free time to take on a project between work and family obligations.

I just never know what to respond with. I usually just end up ghosting them, which feels incredibly rude.
Why isn't "I don't have the free time to take on a project between work and family obligation" good enough?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149913 on: February 03, 2020, 09:11:49 pm »

Why isn't "I don't have the free time to take on a project between work and family obligation" good enough?

I don't know. It just feels like it looks like I'm making excuses. I think it's also anxiety from the thought of responding as well.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149914 on: February 03, 2020, 09:30:23 pm »

I don't know. It just feels like it looks like I'm making excuses. I think it's also anxiety from the thought of responding as well.

As someone in a supervisory position, that is a perfectly good reason to turn down a position. It's not an excuse. We would much rather be turned down than hire someone and find out oh by the way I'm going to show up an hour late all the time because daycare or something. It's not that daycare isn't important, it obviously is, but you're being responsible by not shoehorning yourself into a position where the rest of our team needs to fill in for you because of your personal needs.

Anxiety is normal too, just make sure when a position comes up that you really want, you respond. Remember, the person on the other end is probably just a bored dude at work, too.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149915 on: February 03, 2020, 10:45:10 pm »

I'm glad to have some reassurance. Though if these were serious, paying job offers, then that wouldn't be a problem, since it would mean I would just trade time by leaving my current job. But most of the offers seem to be small studios that always preface the email by saying that they couldn't even afford to pay anyone if they wanted to. And an offer to join a team making an overhaul mod for Fallout 4, which I'd actually be a little interested in.

But as is, my time isn't going to get freed up any time soon. Overall the job search is not really helping my confidence, but I'd rather not linger on that. I think I'm just too stressed out.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #149917 on: February 04, 2020, 04:04:23 am »

Wow

That's a lot in there
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #149918 on: February 04, 2020, 05:48:30 am »

I didn't even know this show was still going, good to know the fanbase is as much of a stain as I left it.
Lol I love how quickly they start compiling reasons to savage RT

Self righteousness at its most addicting self-evident. Let the mandems make weaboo cartoons in peace

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149919 on: February 04, 2020, 07:22:59 am »

That show was friggin' garbage, even by animu standards. Eye-bleedingly awful just to look at, and that's before you even get to all the irritating anime tropes it hit.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #149920 on: February 04, 2020, 07:32:03 am »

Or that it plagiarised assets

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149921 on: February 04, 2020, 08:16:52 am »

What is wrong with UI developers these days? Every single time the weather application I use on iOS is updated, it puts less information on screen, forcing me to have to scroll about four screens' worth to get the same information that used to be on the landing screen.

The screen used to have the current conditions, a minimap, and about 5 days of forecast viewable.  Now it's just current conditions.  You have to scroll one full screen (past a half-screen-height ad! I understand ads for free apps - but half my screen? really?) to get the long-term forecast, which now only shows 3 days.

THIS IS NOT AN UPGRADE FOLKS!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #149922 on: February 04, 2020, 08:20:46 am »

I mean. At least they're staying in the same place moment to moment? Same page, even if you have to scroll. Just think, someone could get it into their galaxy brain that people want the UI elements to be inconsistent, and wander around the app from hour to hour. Then you not just have to scroll, but you're never sure how far you need to :P

But yeah, for whatever reason UI development has always been something of a mess. You'd think some parts would be simple and folks wouldn't fuck it up, but then you find out asking even that much is apparently too much of an ask.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149923 on: February 04, 2020, 08:54:32 am »

I am reminded of the volume slider competition.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149924 on: February 04, 2020, 09:20:04 am »

What is wrong with UI developers these days? Every single time the weather application I use on iOS is updated, it puts less information on screen, forcing me to have to scroll about four screens' worth to get the same information that used to be on the landing screen.

The screen used to have the current conditions, a minimap, and about 5 days of forecast viewable.  Now it's just current conditions.  You have to scroll one full screen (past a half-screen-height ad! I understand ads for free apps - but half my screen? really?) to get the long-term forecast, which now only shows 3 days.

THIS IS NOT AN UPGRADE FOLKS!

See also: anything Google/Alphabet have "upgraded" in the past 5 years.
Pages: 1 ... 9993 9994 [9995] 9996 9997 ... 10979