Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10009 10010 [10011] 10012 10013 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12999079 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #150150 on: February 18, 2020, 07:31:24 am »

Scandinavia, mate. Being in a public space is seen as a chore, not an invitation, and it's therefore rude and improper to interrupt someone when they're obviously doing something important and time-sensitive. This applies to dog-walking as well.

It's opened up significantly in the past years, but there's still very much a culture where "Do unto others as you would have done to you" gets interpreted as "Don't talk to people".

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150151 on: February 18, 2020, 09:26:54 am »

What is with the escalation of "LED running lights on new cars aren't bright enough, let's put even more high-color-temp solar flares up there"?

I hate those.

I semi-accidentally solved the problem once by adjusting the rearview mirror so it wasn't blinding to me. At first the bright light just started moving back and forth, then turned down, then the vehicle started going straight again. Rearview mirrors aren't (significantly) concave, so it's not focusing the light, it's just that bright.

Ey? People seem to like me talking to/petting their dog. It follows a ritualostic formula. You ask the breed, gender and name while stroking. The owner sometimes provides backstory too, but that's optional.

People like their dog to be made much of by strangers, essentially.

As a dog owner, I can say: don't talk to me. The dog wants your attention, I'm just there for her. Unless you also have a dog, and we're going to be there for a while. I'd suggest starting by saying hello to the dog, to see if they are more interested in attention or walking, then ask the owner for permission after the dog has decided. It lets them know you aren't just creeping on them with the dog as an excuse.

Scandinavia, mate. Being in a public space is seen as a chore, not an invitation, and it's therefore rude and improper to interrupt someone when they're obviously doing something important and time-sensitive. This applies to dog-walking as well.

It's opened up significantly in the past years, but there's still very much a culture where "Do unto others as you would have done to you" gets interpreted as "Don't talk to people".

Right. The only semi-public place people seem to want to interact is sitting at the bar. They aren't there because they have somewhere better to be, or a group to be with, and alcohol makes it easier to be around people.

Edit: Online could count as well.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 09:38:49 am by Iduno »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #150152 on: February 18, 2020, 10:08:19 am »

I can't speak for the other scandicountries, but Norway at least does have the exception where if you're out on a nature hike in the mountains (or, to a lesser extent, when vacationing at the cabin collective) it is both proper and expected to say hello and give a jolly wave to others. Beyond that and drinking, interpersonal acknowledgement is to be kept at an absolute minimum.

Saying hi to a stranger on the street will automatically give people the impression that you are:

A) Drunk
B) A foreigner
C) Escaped from a mental institution
D) Selling something
E) All of the above

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150153 on: February 18, 2020, 10:21:14 am »

Question, how is one to make friends if they aren’t supposed to talk to people?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #150155 on: February 18, 2020, 10:36:35 am »

Either grow up as neighbors going to the same school and know each other their whole lives, or meet them while drunk.

There's a reason depression and alcoholism run rampant in this country.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150156 on: February 18, 2020, 11:31:13 am »

That's basically how I get to meet all my friends, that's also why I have no friend left here. I have a policy of 0 friends at work and most all of the few I had to start with left this wretched hive. None of them had children, and to be honest I was in a really good standing compared to most of them.

It's funny I meet my wife at college by chances. Didn't spoke a word to her 6 months after meeting her. I'm a very awkward human being.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150157 on: February 18, 2020, 12:43:30 pm »

I can't speak for the other scandicountries, but Norway at least does have the exception where if you're out on a nature hike in the mountains (or, to a lesser extent, when vacationing at the cabin collective) it is both proper and expected to say hello and give a jolly wave to others.

The best part about nature is it isn't full of people. Your country/region is backwards and wrong for this policy. Was everyone there left outside in a box as a child or something?

Even I can't tell if I'm serious about this or not.

Question, how is one to make friends if they aren't supposed to talk to people?

We wouldn't be online if we knew the answer to this question.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #150158 on: February 18, 2020, 01:25:13 pm »

I can't speak for the other scandicountries, but Norway at least does have the exception where if you're out on a nature hike in the mountains (or, to a lesser extent, when vacationing at the cabin collective) it is both proper and expected to say hello and give a jolly wave to others.

The best part about nature is it isn't full of people. Your country/region is backwards and wrong for this policy. Was everyone there left outside in a box as a child or something?

Um... Actually...

https://www.fatherly.com/health-science/why-norwegian-babies-sleep-outside/

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150159 on: February 18, 2020, 02:04:42 pm »

Um... Actually...

In Norway and most other Scandinavian countries, children nap in the outdoors starting as young as two weeks old. But they’re not simply basking in a sunbeam on a mild summer afternoon. These kids are parked in prams on busy city sidewalks and terraces in all weather, including days as cold as -4, for up to 3 hours.

Actually, we have a similar tradition in Australia, where mothers in the less classy suburbs leave their kids in the car for 5 hours on a 40-degree summers day while mom plays the poker machines down at the club.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150160 on: February 18, 2020, 02:47:04 pm »

Um... Actually...

Kagus...

Actually, we have a similar tradition in Australia, where mothers in the less classy suburbs leave their kids in the car for 5 hours on a 40-degree summers day while mom plays the poker machines down at the club.

With the windows rolled most of the way up with the kids' fingers sticking out, so they can't get free to start fighting/screwing around?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150161 on: February 18, 2020, 03:05:45 pm »

With the windows rolled most of the way up with the kids' fingers sticking out, so they can't get free to start fighting/screwing around?

I've heard of such things in the U. S. also, except pets are left in the car. 
I think in California, witness bystanders are allowed to break open car windows so the animals will be saved. 

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #150162 on: February 18, 2020, 03:51:53 pm »

Kids being forgotten in hot cars seems to affect people of all walks of life.
I'm always reminded of this longform article whenever I hear about it.
And every year, I hear about it in the news
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #150163 on: February 18, 2020, 05:21:47 pm »

Ey? People seem to like me talking to/petting their dog. It follows a ritualostic formula. You ask the breed, gender and name while stroking. The owner sometimes provides backstory too, but that's optional.

People like their dog to be made much of by strangers, essentially.

I appear to be late to the topic, but here (American South) people are more likely to ask about and pet your dog; not necessarily though.

The other day I got home and my cat walked out of the porch when he noticed my car in the driveway, upon which  a random person driving by stopped and talked about how his cat would also wait for him to get home from work

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #150164 on: February 18, 2020, 05:33:51 pm »

What is with the escalation of "LED running lights on new cars aren't bright enough, let's put even more high-color-temp solar flares up there"?

I hate those.

I semi-accidentally solved the problem once by adjusting the rearview mirror so it wasn't blinding to me. At first the bright light just started moving back and forth, then turned down, then the vehicle started going straight again. Rearview mirrors aren't (significantly) concave, so it's not focusing the light, it's just that bright.

Most cars should have a little tab thing on the rearview mirror that once flipped tilts the mirror in such a way that you only get to see the location of the lights behind you without them blinding you. The side mirrors are still a bit of an issue tho if the guy decides to hug your ass.

In a personal WTF, this review seems to indicate that a forgeworld model that costs 130 pounds comes in a goddamn bag, how bloody cheap do you have to be to not put the damn fragile thing into a goddamn cardboard box
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 10009 10010 [10011] 10012 10013 ... 10974