Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10013 10014 [10015] 10016 10017 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12995930 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #150210 on: February 21, 2020, 11:54:51 am »

Gomex: Catalan
Gomekx: Basque
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150211 on: February 21, 2020, 12:18:18 pm »

Humix: Ork
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #150212 on: February 23, 2020, 05:03:55 am »

So that flat earther who wanted funds to build a rocket and check for himself? Well, he did, and ended as well as you might guess https://amp.tmz.com/2020/02/22/daredevil-mad-mike-hughes-dead-dies-rocket-crash-land/
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #150213 on: February 23, 2020, 05:08:42 am »

I thought that was the internet making shit up again. Because it sounded fucking nuts as it was.

Turns out he really was fucking nuts though, eh?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #150214 on: February 23, 2020, 05:38:11 am »

To paraphrase a quote from CK2, "One less threat to the Round Earth establishment".
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150215 on: February 23, 2020, 07:42:18 am »

Was he trying to get to Elisyum?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150216 on: February 23, 2020, 08:23:02 am »

Even if he made it up there he'd still clam the Earth was flat.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150217 on: February 23, 2020, 08:33:21 am »

You're not going to convince them like that. Of course, they already have canned explanations for all such observations:

https://wiki.tfes.org/Viewing_Distance

It has been noted that although the earth is flat, distant continents thousands of miles away remain unseen. This is due to the fact that the atmosphere is not perfectly transparent. There is a limit to human sight before all lands are faded and obscured by the thickness of the atmosphere.

Atoms and molecules are not transparent and so distant objects will be faded with distance. For example, notice how these distant mountains tend to fade out and become discolored with distance. That's because the atmosphere is not perfectly transparent. When you look through the atmosphere you are looking through a fog of atoms and molecules. If the earth had no atmosphere those distant mountains would be as clear and sharp as the foreground.

Viewing distance into the horizon is directly correlated with pressure, gas constant, temperature, humidity, and pollution. At sea level the average air density is 1.2250 kg/m3. This sort of density will allow a viewing distance of around 25 miles across the horizon. In New York pollution and humidity are at such high levels that viewing distance is limited to 15 miles.

At higher altitudes the air density drops sharply, allowing the viewer to see far away lands before they are obscured by a blue-white sky. It is for this reason that an observer standing on Mt. Everest can see other mountains hundreds of miles away. Such pristine conditions are rare on the earth, however, only existing at high altitudes and in frigid environments.

So the argument is that the air is too thick to see through until you get to a high altitude.

This explanation doesn't make any sense however, does it?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 08:39:12 am by Reelya »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #150218 on: February 23, 2020, 08:41:54 am »

thats actually a really good attempt.  The mountain bit is garbo, but its really admirable.  And rabbit holey
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150219 on: February 23, 2020, 08:45:24 am »

First point is that things aren't faded. If they're 100% faded at that distance, where are the half-faded things in between? You can point binoculars at something on the horizon and it isn't faded at all. That's a big problem for the explanation right there.

Second problem is that when you're a sea and approaching a landmass, the highest point is seen first. This explanation would imply that there should be some fuzzy/faded bit between the horizon and the mountain. Which isn't what happens. Stuff instantly comes over the horizon perfectly in focus.

Third problem is that it implies your viewing distance should *drop* as you climb higher, because of the greater distance of air between you and the existing horizon.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 08:50:28 am by Reelya »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #150220 on: February 23, 2020, 08:52:32 am »

So... air density changes the higher up you are so you can see further, but the further away you are from earth, the more air there is between you and the object you are viewing?

I don’t know why I find the lack of logic from flat-earthers to be quite so amazing, but I do.

Hell, they just said there are mountains and shit, so you say you can’t see things because while the theory is flat earth, it’s not a completely flat plane so you just can’t see beyond the undulations!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150221 on: February 23, 2020, 09:17:18 am »

Reading a bit on the topic, I came across this wtf

https://www.boredpanda.com/space-force-uniforms/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Why does the Space Force have woodland camouflage? Are they going to blend in with the Space Trees? If you want space camouflage, given them all black uniforms.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 09:24:33 am by Reelya »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #150222 on: February 23, 2020, 09:25:28 am »

I think its more about them having traditional attire.  To seem as much like military as possible.  Or are we going to issue them all jedi robes and cadet uniforms?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #150223 on: February 23, 2020, 09:44:09 am »

The real question is -- why do sci fi space navies waste so much time on cloaking devices when all they need to have gone was paint the ship in camouflage?

(But on a real note didn't the USA send the army or marines to Afghanistan or Iraq in woodland camo because of... I don't remember why?
Love, scriver~

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #150224 on: February 23, 2020, 09:47:52 am »

We should just go back to WWI style dazzle camouflage
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 10013 10014 [10015] 10016 10017 ... 10973