Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10044 10045 [10046] 10047 10048 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12995817 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #150675 on: March 26, 2020, 11:33:31 pm »

TBH name me an original comic character that made it big that wasn't made like 30-40 years ago.  Every character worth note has been derivative of another popular character in direct legacy.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #150676 on: March 26, 2020, 11:46:59 pm »

superman, batman, wonder woman, captain 'murica
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150677 on: March 26, 2020, 11:56:22 pm »

Those are all OLDER than 30 years ago. :P

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #150678 on: March 26, 2020, 11:58:17 pm »

[insert manga character here]
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150679 on: March 27, 2020, 12:46:48 am »

Virginia Applejack, along with Beth, Monster, Spanish Scott and all the other wonderful characters she interacts with - though the beginnings of their story barely scrapes under the 30-year mark, I must admit. Stel and Malik Caine. Drum Hellar. Those kids in Sheltered. Graham Bricke. Marv. The Goon, the Buzzard, and the Zombie Priest - some aspects of their characters and the world they inhabit may be a homage to earlier ages of comics and noir, but they are definitely their own thing.

There are no doubt many others who have slipped my mind, but I don't read many comics these days.   
I don't really have access to them, and I usually don't have the money to spend on such things either. Keeping up with comics is fuckin' expensive, man. There are still a few TPs and at least one gorgeous, hardcover volume I wanna buy, though.   
I have been meaning to gather up, sort and safely store my collection, though. And re-read, obviously.   

Fakeedit: oh, I just saw the "made it big" part. I suppose it depends on just what you mean by made it big - if you mean 'film adaptations' big, I'm pretty sure from this list only Graham Bricke and (obviously) Marv would make the cut. The Goon is s'posed to get his own motion picture one of these days, but I'm pretty sure it's still (blueberry!) pie in the sky at this stage.   
Most of these are/were at least reasonably successful in the comics world, though.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #150680 on: March 27, 2020, 02:06:30 am »

Fakeedit: oh, I just saw the "made it big" part. I suppose it depends on just what you mean by made it big - if you mean 'film adaptations' big, I'm pretty sure from this list only Graham Bricke and (obviously) Marv would make the cut. The Goon is s'posed to get his own motion picture one of these days, but I'm pretty sure it's still (blueberry!) pie in the sky at this stage.   
Most of these are/were at least reasonably successful in the comics world, though.   

I mean almost every single time DC/Marvel try to push a new, unique character, it never sells and ultimately fails.  Half of the time its barely even the fault of the character's design, its just comic nerds want only their justice league/avengers/x-men.

Last time was, what, X-23 or Miles Morales?  Which are just variation on Wolverine and Spiderman?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150681 on: March 27, 2020, 03:35:13 am »

They're mostly stuck in the superhero ghetto. Write some other stuff. It's as if the game companies only made endless amounts of FPS games and nothing else, then wondered why their market base isn't growing, and each new FPS is only gaining a tiny market share, with the big ones like CoD / Battlefield dominating sales year after year. You look at the top sales charts for American comics and it's 95%+ superhero stuff, whereas you get multi-million sellers in Japan which are aimed at women, and actually have stuff in them most women want to read (being written by women is a good start). It's actually pretty common for the top-selling manga in Japan for a particular week to be a female-oriented series. Such a thing would be unheard of in the American comic market. They've basically written themselves into a corner and now don't know how to reach much of anyone outside that market niche. Marvel movie ticket sales just haven't translated into comic book sales.

"Superheroes for girls" and/or cramming SJW themes into existing superhero series is the Marvel/DC approach to reach that audience, but that's only ever going to get you about 10% into the other half of the population market (if they haven't noticed: most series which are popular with actual women aren't actually heavy on the SJW stuff). Try writing some stuff that people who've grown beyond the grade school boy's obsession with superheros want to read.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 03:53:04 am by Reelya »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150682 on: March 27, 2020, 04:01:31 am »

The main thing I've seen now days that hurts mainstream comic sales is the fact that they cost so much and how they constantly bring politics into all of it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #150683 on: March 27, 2020, 06:31:47 am »

My laptop seems to throttle itself periodically for no reason while being stress-tested with Prime95 (small FFTs) and FurMark while on battery.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not concerned about it or anything, given that this is quite literally pushing the laptop to its limit, but it's just odd to see. I highly doubt it's thermal throttling, since the CPU throttles at 95°C, and the GPU just can't reach a temperature where it begins to throttle (just about reaches 70°C).

Only other hypothesis I have is that it's trying to limit the discharge rate of the battery (presumably at ~1C/~52.5 W) by decreasing the clocks of the CPU and GPU. Seems so odd to just slam the CPU and GPU clocks down to nothing, rather than slowly decreasing them until the discharge rate goes below the limit. (I am assuming that power consumption is proportional to clock speed, here.)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150684 on: March 27, 2020, 07:19:48 am »

It is most likely power supply rated - those laptop supplies can be goofy.  Hell, Dell and HP are notorious for throttling CPU if you are connected to wall power but using a third-party adapter.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #150685 on: March 27, 2020, 07:27:16 am »

I specified this happens while the laptop is running off its battery. On wall power, it doesn't do this. Instead, the CPU gets so hot it starts throttling (drawing 30-35W while throttled), but the GPU continues to draw 50W (its TDP). Plus, the power supply I'm using is rated at 170W and is stock; there'd be no reason to throttle for the power supply.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #150686 on: March 27, 2020, 07:47:01 am »

TBH name me an original comic character that made it big that wasn't made like 30-40 years ago.  Every character worth note has been derivative of another popular character in direct legacy.
Khamala Khan made it big, and despite the name she isn't really associated that much with Captain Marvel, so I think she counts.
At least, I think so.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150687 on: March 27, 2020, 08:55:01 am »

Sailor Moon is one of the most famous comic book superheroes in recent history. Change my mind.

(also just squeaks under the arbitrary goalpost of "30 years")

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #150688 on: March 27, 2020, 09:16:39 am »

30 years isn't an arbitrary goalpost, it's because

superman, batman, wonder woman, captain 'murica

and all the other big ones are old and the discussion is relevant to modern comics' culture -- ie how comics used to have a big cultural impact but no longer does

Sailor Moon also isn't American, and while I don't think anybody said "american comics" I feel the context of the discussion pretty much assumed it.

But Sailor moon is totally a super hero, I agree.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #150689 on: March 27, 2020, 09:18:19 am »

Hellboy's only 27 years old!
Pages: 1 ... 10044 10045 [10046] 10047 10048 ... 10973