Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10047 10048 [10049] 10050 10051 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12999990 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #150720 on: March 28, 2020, 08:06:55 pm »

What, do they want us to fill it out multiple times? Is it from different companies? Do they have any clue what they want? The answer to all of these questions remains unknown.

that's making a huge assumption: that your number only appears once in the list. That's not how databases work. They could have collated 20 lists together, and your number appears more than once in the list and now their are duplicate records. Perhaps they have different names on each record but the same phone number, such as a separate record for every housemate, and for everyone else who had that phone number before you. They may also have alternate ways the names were written (al smith, al, allan smith, allan david smith, could all be in there, but with the same phone number).

If you ask one call-center worker to remove your number, they will only remove the database record that's right in front of them, but that doesn't to jack shit to remove your number from any other records that exist. If you don't respond: that database record just goes back at the end of the queue to receive the next round of calls.

Also remember this whole process is entirely automated. It rings forever because there's a machine dialling the numbers, and it only hooks you to an available human if/once you pick up. If you never pick up, the machine doesn't get tired it just goes "beep beep no answer, back on the queue with you". It's also not smart enough to realize multiple files have the same phone number and it shouldn't be ringing them over and over. It's only smart enough to say for this particular file we called it on day X, so it shouldn't try again for, say 2 days.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 08:20:02 pm by Reelya »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150721 on: March 28, 2020, 08:17:40 pm »

I feel like call centers would have a system for removing or separating out duplicate records, since it's wasted time or possibly inaccurate data to call and record the same person multiple times.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150722 on: March 28, 2020, 08:20:26 pm »

They don't however.

The reason is that the admin labor needed to do proper duplicate removal exceeds the wasted time of the low-paid front end call center workers.

At most, they'll use a key such as your social security number, and they'll ensure there are no duplicates on that. They won't generally weed out by name or phone number.

Next time they call, ask them if they have a name of who they think they're calling. It would be interesting to compare that on multiple calls.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 08:25:09 pm by Reelya »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150723 on: March 28, 2020, 08:25:01 pm »

There are already automated systems galore, you would just need a single rather simple script to sort tables and remove entries with identical phone numbers, or move the entries to some separate table for posterity.

And like I said, it's not just wasted time for the ground troopers, it's also inaccurate data if you record the same data point multiple times. I'm certain it's important to politicians and marketers who contract these call centers that something like that doesn't happen.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150724 on: March 28, 2020, 08:25:53 pm »

There are already automated systems galore, you would just need a single rather simple script to sort tables and remove entries with identical phone numbers, or move the entries to some separate table for posterity.

And like I said, it's not just wasted time, it's also inaccurate data if you record the same data point multiple times. I'm certain it's important to politicians and marketers who contract these call centers that something like that doesn't happen.

yes, you could think that. But management at the call centers beg to differ. They don't see it as a high priority. It's been pretty consistent attitude where I've worked that I think they already know but they've looked at cost/benefit analysis and decided it's not worth it. Other times, they may even have legal or regulatory requirements to try and contact everyone on a certain list, even if they all have the same phone number. I've been on the front end of this sort of bureaucratic stuff, suggested we condense some calls down, but told it was against the regulations, because for legal reasons we had to have tried to contact everyone on the list separately, so that each contact attempt was properly documented. So, in other words Bob and Sally may have the same phone number listed, but we still have to call it twice, since we need a contact report for Bob's file and Sally's file separately. We also need to provide call recordings for all calls to the client such that there are separately searchable call records for each call for each client, so calling the number once then doctoring-up the files manually wouldn't work, plus being time-consuming and fiddly.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 08:33:42 pm by Reelya »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #150725 on: March 29, 2020, 08:38:45 am »

Since we're talking about spam calls again, I recommend the app "Should I Answer?" for anybody that has an Android smartphone. I set it to automatically reject any calls from numbers that aren't in my contacts. A handful of legit calls have been blocked, but it's well worth the small inconvenience.

I understand there are other phones that offer this feature out-of-the-box, but mine didn't.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #150726 on: March 29, 2020, 08:41:18 am »

tbh I can usually tell if its a spam call based on the number.  Especially since I moved so my area code on my phone doesnt match the local one.  but ive missed a few real calls that way. I make sure to check my voicemail every few days regardless of who calls soo . . . enh
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #150727 on: March 29, 2020, 08:45:42 am »

I suppose that works, but I just prefer not being interrupted even for the time it takes to check the number. The fuckers have woken me up at "way too early" o'clock on a few occasions too, especially when I'm waiting on a legit phone call.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150728 on: March 29, 2020, 02:17:23 pm »

I just binged the third season of castlevania. I dont know why I keep watching it since I think its only average.

The four plots (Hector/Issac/Belmonte/Alucard) all are a little tired for their own reasons, and in some cases feel forced.  But it wasnt all bad, I found myself smiling in a few places.

The highlights for me were how they handled Issac, it wasnt revolutionary but I liked the internal monologue he had.  Saint Germaine was perhaps my favorite part of it, since he was always an out-of-place character, in every sense of the phrase.  I did like how belittling Linore was while I found the whole plot around her stupid.

Also, Alucard's orgy for the sake of having an orgy actually pissed me off.  It was out of place, and its symbology was not really needed to push home the point.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #150729 on: March 29, 2020, 02:39:04 pm »

Alucard's orgy tied into the greater theme of betrayal across all three (?) plotlines for that episode. It had real character consequences in his dedication to being more like his father, isolated and alone and violent. I don't think it was a forced addition, especially considering Alucard's desperation for physical and emotional company. The pair knew and exploited this.

In other words - it all tied into character and conflict, which is a decent yardstick for whether something was shoved in for the sake of it or not.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150730 on: March 29, 2020, 04:18:01 pm »

Let me be mad that he did human sexytime and further separated himself from dear old daddy only to immediately fold when approached and then ironically blemish his picturesque world with impaled bodies.

I honestly thought and hoped it was a dream sequence, it started so fast and he was in bed - I thought he was dreaming at first because it struck me as out of character in the extreme that they would proposition alucard, he would so quickly accept, and that they were so distrusting of him.  The whole climax of his plot was given, like, 5 minutes tops.  It was in and out, and thats why it felt contrived to me.
PKs DF Mod!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150731 on: March 29, 2020, 04:53:00 pm »

Human sexytime was something his father did as well. Remember, Alucard is the anti-Dracula. Right down to his very name.

His father had a relationship with someone who loved him. This led to him being more open and receptive.

Alucard had a relationship with someones who did not love him. This led to him becoming withdrawn and shuttered.

Also, his picturesque world? He viewed it as a punishment, as established in a previous episode. He was lonely and yearned for physical and emotional connection - as established in previous episodes with them jumping on him, laughing, talking to him, etc. For him to want the sex isn't such a leap.

The whole distrusting/betrayal thing could have done with slightly more foreshadowing  though.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150732 on: March 29, 2020, 05:58:20 pm »

Megaman Battle Network, the slay the spire style roguelite, basically.

I'm sold.

Has a category of sword/dash/etc. cards. Called slashfik. Damnit game >_<

I'm not stopping you. Keep going.

And like I said, it's not just wasted time for the ground troopers, it's also inaccurate data if you record the same data point multiple times. I'm certain it's important to politicians and marketers who contract these call centers that something like that doesn't happen.

I think it's equal parts not caring about wasted time on the part of callers relative to database people, and "someone will catch it if there are problems, that's what we pay them for." Management isn't (usually) bright.

I'm certain it's important to politicians and marketers who contract these call centers that something like that doesn't happen.

If they're asking someone else for the answers, they aren't checking the data. It might be important to them, but they don't know if the data is good or bad.

I suppose that works, but I just prefer not being interrupted even for the time it takes to check the number. The fuckers have woken me up at "way too early" o'clock on a few occasions too, especially when I'm waiting on a legit phone call.

How does your phone wake you up when it's always on silent?

I don't know what my phone ringer is, and I haven't for ~15 years (whenever I last had a landline, which was later than is probably necessary). If I keep it on silent, I can only tell it buzzes when it's in the pockets of the pants I'm currently wearing.

In other words - it all tied into character and conflict, which is a decent yardstick for whether something was shoved in for the sake of it or not.

Are we still doing "phrasing"?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150733 on: March 29, 2020, 06:14:46 pm »

Phrasing?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #150734 on: March 29, 2020, 06:25:20 pm »

Megaman Battle Network, the slay the spire style roguelite, basically.
I'm sold.
Having watched a few more vids, it's more like battle network meets Touhou meets, like, mainlining speed straight into your veins. It's faster than even the hardest parts of MMBN I can remember seeing, basically someone looked at battle network and went, "But what if more bullet hell?" With slay the spire map stuff, plus other things. I'm kinda' tempted, but I'd be hitting it with cheat engine to slow the bloody thing down 'cause goddamn. Some of the boss fights or later hallway fight equivalents are literally more than I can keep track of watching.

There's times where there's like one safe square (or flat bloody none) on the 4x4 player side, and not due to like one aoe attack or anything. Gets pretty crazy.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:29:04 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 10047 10048 [10049] 10050 10051 ... 10974