Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10048 10049 [10050] 10051 10052 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997886 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #150735 on: March 29, 2020, 07:57:24 pm »

Megaman Battle Network, the slay the spire style roguelite, basically.

I'm sold.

Has a category of sword/dash/etc. cards. Called slashfik. Damnit game >_<

I'm not stopping you. Keep going.

There are already automated systems galore, you would just need a single rather simple script to sort tables and remove entries with identical phone numbers, or move the entries to some separate table for posterity.

And like I said, it's not just wasted time for the ground troopers, it's also inaccurate data if you record the same data point multiple times. I'm certain it's important to politicians and marketers who contract these call centers that something like that doesn't happen.

I think it's equal parts not caring about wasted time on the part of callers relative to database people, and "someone will catch it if there are problems, that's what we pay them for." Management isn't (usually) bright.

I thought of another reason. Many call centers work for a client company, and they have a fee-for-service arrangement. So whatever is in that contract is what they want to maximize for profits. The client gives you a big list of numbers, that they couldn't be arsed to filter, and says "call this list, you're paid per item on the list that you call". The contract specifies that the call center operators are paid per the number of files they call, not the number of different phone numbers they call.

So the client decided it wasn't worth it on their end to filter their damn data, they've decided it's easier and cheaper to dump the whole list on a third-party company. Yes, you could tell the client "we found duplicate numbers so we only called one file for each of the duplicates", but then the client will just say "oh you don't need as much money then since you did less work".

It's like being paid to move piles of sand back and forth. Yes, you could work out that it's easier and cheaper to just leave the sand where it is, but no, if you do that, nobody gets paid.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 08:01:38 pm by Reelya »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150737 on: March 31, 2020, 09:02:07 pm »

Hey, so is anyone using the quarentine/pandemic to learn/do anything cool?

myself, Im using it as an excuse to start running again and I want to get back into reading and even doing some handiwork around the apartment.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150738 on: March 31, 2020, 09:09:18 pm »

I'm using it as an excuse to drink all the alcohol in the house. Previously I had to make do without an excuse.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150739 on: March 31, 2020, 09:10:59 pm »

Im 8 beers deep rn brother
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150740 on: March 31, 2020, 11:15:15 pm »

I ate an interesting wild greens soup a few days ago.

Not much in the yard right now except white clover and hen-bit, but you can make a surprisingly edible creamy soup out of those with milk, a little garlic and some black pepper.

I re-upped my hunt+fish license online (because screw seeing a proctor in person), and am considering doing what we did as kids-- Go and catch all the trash fish with no catch limit, and put away fillets in the deep freeze.

My sister is actively culturing blue oyster mushrooms on cardboard in her closet--

I guess having doomsday prep dad was a good thing afterall?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150741 on: April 01, 2020, 12:23:38 am »

My dad used to keep MREs for an emergency but it was one of the things that we forgot to keep up with after he passed.  Turn out MREs don't last forever, especially when moved from a climate controlled closet into an un air conditioned garage in Florida. Who knew?  We tossed them last year and never bothered to replace them.

So here's a tip for you doomsday preppers out there, make sure your families know how to read date codes and know how to take care of your week's supply of MRE in case yer not around when the apocalypse virus hits.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150742 on: April 01, 2020, 12:29:53 am »

The year's barely started. Covid-19 may well mutate into Zomvid-20.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #150743 on: April 01, 2020, 04:24:19 am »

I was messing around in GIMP, and I think I ended up exporting a .tiff file that can't be opened, moved, deleted or overwritten. I can't even use something like FileASSASSIN to delete it, since it just freezes once it tries to delete it. I'm tempted to boot into Ubuntu to delete it.

Edit: Uh.. it failed so hard to boot into Ubuntu from USB that it not only produced errors, it also spat out a bunch of graphical garbage.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit 2: This clearly isn't working. I need to try something else.

Edit 3: I have run into a wall. Whatever is going on here is beyond my abilities.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 05:37:23 am by methylatedspirit »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150745 on: April 01, 2020, 05:42:38 am »

I was messing around in GIMP, and I think I ended up exporting a .tiff file that can't be opened, moved, deleted or overwritten. I can't even use something like FileASSASSIN to delete it, since it just freezes once it tries to delete it. I'm tempted to boot into Ubuntu to delete it.

Edit: Uh.. it failed so hard to boot into Ubuntu from USB that it not only produced errors, it also spat out a bunch of graphical garbage.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit 2: This clearly isn't working. I need to try something else.

Edit 3: I have run into a wall. Whatever is going on here is beyond my abilities.

Run scandisk. Failing that, move everything else off then format the drive.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150746 on: April 01, 2020, 05:57:06 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150747 on: April 01, 2020, 06:05:53 am »

That was pretty awesome.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #150749 on: April 01, 2020, 07:55:45 am »

My eyes
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 10048 10049 [10050] 10051 10052 ... 10973