Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10053 10054 [10055] 10056 10057 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13120030 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #150810 on: April 03, 2020, 07:10:12 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:58:01 am by dragdeler »
let

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #150811 on: April 03, 2020, 08:55:38 am »

The Venezuelan ship fired on the (passenger-free) cruise ship, and when the ship refused to follow directions for fear of unlawful seizure the patrol boat tried to physically force it to. The cruise ship had an icebreaker hull, so the warship just bounced off and sank.

Officially, Venezuela is claiming that the cruise ship was carrying a load of troops for a sneak attack. Everyone except Venezuela believes that this was an attempt at piracy, which many governments in Venezuela's current position resort to.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150812 on: April 03, 2020, 10:36:04 am »

Officially, Venezuela is claiming that the cruise ship was carrying a load of troops for a sneak attack. Everyone except Venezuela believes that this was an attempt at piracy, which many governments in Venezuela's current position resort to.
Y not both? Pirating a ninja troop ship icebreaker is much more metal.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150813 on: April 03, 2020, 09:15:04 pm »

I was on a download site trying to get a file, and there was a huge green button with a border that said "download now". Spent a while trying to work out where the "real" download button was, but that turned out to be the real one. I'm so used to the giant green "download" button being bait/adware that I immediately mentally blocked that one out, and had to come back to the page a second time to even register that it was there. So kind of a double WTF there, that the prominent download button actually downloaded what I want, and about how we've be trained to ignore them.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 09:16:58 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #150814 on: April 03, 2020, 09:24:06 pm »

Yeah, I've ran into that occasionally. It's always kinda' offputting, your eyes just sorta' slide off stuff that looks like that if you've spent much time in the seedier bits of the internet, or ever tried to clean up a grandparent's computer or somethin'. After a bit of looking around the page and maybe checking other parts of the site, it occurs to you to actually check the link address and then it's like finding a perfect trilobite or summat, some wonder of nature you never see, giant green download button that isn't going to try to turbo ream your computer.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150815 on: April 03, 2020, 10:07:00 pm »

I think they are just messing with you, or are the ones running the big green download button scams, and want you to think it's safe again.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #150816 on: April 03, 2020, 11:37:14 pm »

I remembered that meme where the guy slaps the roof of a car.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150817 on: April 04, 2020, 06:43:51 am »

what? Why would anyone slam their hand on metal?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150818 on: April 04, 2020, 06:55:58 am »

To show that metal who's boss!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150819 on: April 04, 2020, 08:15:54 am »

Been playing Mount&Blade: Warband because I'm too cheap to buy Bannerlord these past few days. Decided I would start a fight with the Vaegirs, so I attacked a peasant group consisting of two Farmers and a Peasant Woman. The Farmers were killed, and the Peasant Woman was knocked out and captured. The loot? Just a Woolen Dress and a Headcloth. The same gear the Peasant Woman was equipped with. Oookay.
(She appears to be wearing an entirely new dress after capture)

Probably doesn't help that I'm planning to sell her off if she refuses to join my army as a potential future Sword Sister.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150820 on: April 04, 2020, 09:37:52 am »

Metal is fairly flexible, especially when it's as thin as what is used in a car (if the car still contains metal). Instead of feeling the full force like slapping a rock, most of the force would be transferred to flexing the metal (or fiberglass, or what have you). And it makes a noise, to show emphasis, which I guess is the point.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150821 on: April 04, 2020, 09:45:52 am »

Metal is fairly flexible, especially when it's as thin as what is used in a car (if the car still contains metal). Instead of feeling the full force like slapping a rock, most of the force would be transferred to flexing the metal (or fiberglass, or what have you). And it makes a noise, to show emphasis, which I guess is the point.
interesting. What human behavior confuses any of you? Whose idea was it thst slamming your hands together means you like something? Ever clapped really hard and had your hands hurt and get a tingly feeling for like 30 seconds? Who thought thst was a good idea?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #150822 on: April 04, 2020, 10:15:44 am »

Given that activities involving smacking hands together or on other parts of the body to make noise are common in most species of ape, it is very unlikely that this was ever a conscious decision, and we inherited from our less intelligent forebears. This is reinforced by the human child's instinctive love of making noises. If, however, it was an invented behavior, it would have been devised from a way to signal louder or more distinctly than vocalization could do - clapping is on a lower frequency than most primate voices, and thus carries further in a lot of environments.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150823 on: April 04, 2020, 10:36:41 am »

Given that activities involving smacking hands together or on other parts of the body to make noise are common in most species of ape, it is very unlikely that this was ever a conscious decision, and we inherited from our less intelligent forebears. This is reinforced by the human child's instinctive love of making noises. If, however, it was an invented behavior, it would have been devised from a way to signal louder or more distinctly than vocalization could do - clapping is on a lower frequency than most primate voices, and thus carries further in a lot of environments.
thanks

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #150824 on: April 04, 2020, 12:40:12 pm »

It's satisfying to slap the metal.
Pages: 1 ... 10053 10054 [10055] 10056 10057 ... 10979