Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10112 10113 [10114] 10115 10116 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13141865 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #151695 on: June 01, 2020, 05:51:44 pm »

Probably the guy who was killed by a cop on live video after being subdued for having a counterfeit $10 bill, and got off scott free for days before finally being arrested yesterday. That stuff is everywhere protests in almost every major american city.  Cops are supposedly responding to those protests by shooting people on their porches with rubber bullets, covering their badges so people can't see them, and setting fire to buildings and blaming the protesters.  I've heard something about Trump saying that governers need to use more force to stop these protests.

Oh and plenty of incompetence images of police pepperspraying themselves by accident or throwing teargas grenades while downwind.

P.S. I don't actually know much about the story.  I don't watch the news, just what I've seen mentioned elsewhere, don't get all your info from me.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 05:58:54 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151696 on: June 01, 2020, 05:58:03 pm »

Cop kneeled on his neck for 9 minutes while he repeatedly said that he couldn't breathe, eventually suffocating.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #151697 on: June 01, 2020, 06:32:07 pm »

Cop kneeled on his neck for 9 minutes while he repeatedly said that he couldn't breathe, eventually suffocating.

And apparently those last 3 minutes were after it was already determined that he had no pulse.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151698 on: June 02, 2020, 10:53:22 am »

My mom seems to have convinced herself I'm diabetic again, this time due to my right foot appearing swollen. It does appear to be swollen, which I didn't notice until she pointed it out.

This isn't the first time where she's noticed something "different" and immediately assumed it's diabetes. I've been tested before, and the doctors have definitively said it's not.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #151699 on: June 02, 2020, 11:06:49 am »

Maybe it's just your foot swole
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151700 on: June 02, 2020, 11:18:48 am »

I dont understand how my yard can contain so many buried obstacles!

This is the FOURTH time I have snapped off the shovel handle trying to dig all this shit out.

To date, I have unearthed:

A BLOCK OF FUCKING COAL THE SIZE OF A BASKETBALL
A railroad spike
An old (and already crunchy and clearly no longer used for anything as it was full of dirt and completely occluded) bit of lateral line that was burried far too close to the surface to meet city ordinance. (less that 1 ft!!)
A BLOCK OF CONCRETE
A length of steel rebar
Numerous tree roots
several very large rocks

I am getting tired of re-tapering the remaining bit of handle, re-attaching the shovel blade, and then re-riveting the damn thing. Who in their right damn mind buries all this kind of shit?  Really-- you have REBAR, and you decide-- "You know, sending it to the scrap dealer is just too much hassle-- I WILL JUST BURY IT IN THE YARD!"---?? 

WTF people.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #151701 on: June 02, 2020, 12:05:07 pm »

Maybe it was used as a murder weapon
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #151702 on: June 02, 2020, 12:05:49 pm »

Maybe it was used as a murder weapon.. Is the block of concrete big enough to fit a human inside?

EDIT: oops used quote instead of modify
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 12:26:40 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151703 on: June 02, 2020, 12:16:09 pm »

Thankfully no, just some redneck attempt at putting in a post, given the rotten nub of one stuck inside it. (Clearly, the person had no concept that you can more than adequately lodge a wooden post in the ground WITHOUT concrete, using just a post hole digger, some sand, and a water hose. Also, that finished lumber is NOT appropriate for this kind of post-- and that they should have used either heavily creosoted wood, or used an osage orange post. Either would still be a post right now, and not a rotted off nub embedded in a 30lb block of poorly cast concrete.)

The rebar is perplexing though.  It's a perfectly fine length of rebar!  I used it to help drive out the old bits of broken shovel handle a little bit ago, so I guess it wasn't a total flub that it was buried in the yard, but still-- who buries a half-meter section of rebar in the damn yard?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151704 on: June 02, 2020, 12:23:51 pm »

It was too short for the length necessary for the post
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151705 on: June 02, 2020, 12:33:33 pm »

Again, you don't need rebar for that.  You need a post that is at least 3 feet longer than your intended above ground height, a post hole digger, some very fine sand, and a water hose (and of course, the post must be of a suitable material!)

Just dig the hole (at least 3ft deep), then drop the post in. Tamp the post up and down in the hole repeatedly to compact the earth below it and turn it into rammed earth flooring. Pour the dry fine sand around the post after situating it. Use the water hose to water the sand into a slurry then let it sit.  The sand will settle into maximally compacted configuration, and any transverse force applied to the post will be distributed through the sand in a diffuse manner that will strongly resist the post being pushed over.

If in the future, you want to remove the post, just attach it to a ginpole, and yoink it straight up.

I have installed plenty of fenceposts that have endured for over 20 years this way.  Just pick an appropriate material for the post. No need for concrete and rebar.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151706 on: June 02, 2020, 12:46:10 pm »

Cocrete and rebar is actually a much better choice for a post as they expand similarly in heat. The impact of subsurface heating is one of the most important aspects one needs to consider when posting a post.
Love, scriver~

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #151707 on: June 02, 2020, 01:01:59 pm »

who buries a half-meter section of rebar in the damn yard?
Perhaps it's you after a forgotten drunken bender?
Or maybe the rebar gnomes
probably the rebar gnomes
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151708 on: June 02, 2020, 01:02:44 pm »

Apparently my boss called my grandmother to wish her well, but somehow ended up implying I got hurt at work instead. I still don't know exactly what was said, but I got a lot of calls from freaked-out family.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151709 on: June 02, 2020, 01:03:05 pm »

The expansion and contraction of the wood is going to be vastly greater than that of the concrete. This is especially true since the wood wicks moisture, and the concrete does so significantly less.

The increased stability of the post when set in concrete is best observed when setting a metallic post, rather than a wooden one, for this reason. For a wooden post, you are actually better served with the rammed earth and sand, as long as you dont get cheap with the post, and install one of an appropriate length, and dig your hole to an appropriate depth.

There are wooden posts installed with the method I just described that have been in active service holding cattle in, for over 100 years.

(ninja!)

No, I don't drink. And where would I get the rebar? I am NOT going to go driving all the way to the major metro area just for a hunk of rebar, just to bury it in the damn yard.
Pages: 1 ... 10112 10113 [10114] 10115 10116 ... 10980