Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10153 10154 [10155] 10156 10157 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13166861 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #152310 on: July 13, 2020, 10:30:10 am »

That's a very inaccurate depiction of the plot, and has the order of events mixed up. You come to an island inhabited by mercs who work for a Dr Evil type. About halfway through the game the evil dudes lose control of their genetic mutants, and those over-run the island. Most of the people you haven't fought were killed off by the mutants already. So you spend a lot of time fighting across the wilderness first against the mercs and later against the mutants, and you need to focus on survival skills here, something the 2nd game doesn't really have. So that's something #1 has going for it: it's survival based, limited ammo, no "free refills" like the 2nd game and later. If you want a wilderness shooter with survival and ammo management that matters, you'd go the first game. It gets pretty difficult and it's slow going, so you need to use a mix of stealth and combat if you want any hope of survival. So think of it as a steal / survival shooter mix. Then right at the end you get tricked into injecting some mutagen. But that's a trick by literally the final boss on the island, and you get the antidote. So no, you don't "turn into a mutant" then murder everyone. That never happens.

Note that in Far Cry #2, while in the opening you see civilians, the civilians have basically ceased to exist by the time you actually have control of the character all the of civilians have mysteriously vanished. The ethics in that game are if anything, much worse, since you work for murderers and murder the people you work for as soon as a higher bidder comes along, along with pretty much everyone you meet when you're out and about, in an entire supposedly populated country rather than an evil scientist's island base.

Where #1 has it over #2 is because they don't try and mesh everything into one GTA-style open world, so the set pieces are architectural far more distinctive. It's a far less forgiving game too, so that could count either way depending on what type of game you want to play. In Far Cry 2, I worked out that if you got the jeep with the explosive cannon you could basically sit back and shell everything to death and if you were careful you could keep that jeep alive pretty much permanently. The game was far easier then. I'd jump in and replay Far Cry 1 on a harder difficulty before bothering with #2 again. #2 is just a sandbox.
one was fun, it was just  . . . crude.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #152311 on: July 13, 2020, 10:48:14 am »

Far Cry 2's anti-imperialism and criticism of American foreign policy is...amazing, frankly. You never, never could have gotten a film or a book distributed with that kind of unblunted description of how countries are kept knocked over and hatred of the Washington consensus. I'm shocked it even got overlooked in a video game, without so much as an expose on Fox News.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152312 on: July 13, 2020, 12:43:56 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:48:47 am by dragdeler »
let

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152313 on: July 13, 2020, 01:24:48 pm »

That's a great description Reelya.

one was fun, it was just  . . . crude.

I enjoyed trolling that AI sooo much :D but they weren't the brightest lot that's true.
How were the AI trolled? What video game has the smartest AI?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152314 on: July 13, 2020, 02:48:19 pm »

What video game has the smartest AI?

That would be the first F.E.A.R game. They managed to achieve that feat by personalizing the AI of each specific encounter to the area it appeared in. To put it a different way, rather than design a general AI which would analyze an area and figure out how to fight in it, they told the AI how to fight for each specific level which gave the designers a lot more control in how the encounter would play out. The AI would immediately know which places were safe to hide in, where the good flanking routes were for reaching a given player position, and they'd even be given a few special environmental tricks sometimes such as kicking over tables or vaulting over railings (though I guess that one is in other games too).

F.E.A.R.'s AI was an incredible breakthrough in gaming and it's a crime that no one's ever bothered to replicate it since. Even the original developers gave up on it as it was nowhere to be found in the sequels.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152315 on: July 13, 2020, 03:06:26 pm »

Also Alma is super spoopy.

Also the original expansions that they retconned were cool as fuck, change my mind.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #152316 on: July 13, 2020, 03:23:00 pm »

Are there any good LPs or that? I could never find any :(
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152317 on: July 13, 2020, 03:24:48 pm »

I saw a video once that mentioned a game where the AI would feign death of some enemy units, unfortunately I can’t remember the video’s name nor what the game was called.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #152318 on: July 13, 2020, 03:27:54 pm »

I saw a video once that mentioned a game where the AI would feign death of some enemy units, unfortunately I can’t remember the video’s name nor what the game was called.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152319 on: July 13, 2020, 03:28:41 pm »

Rise of the Triad?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152320 on: July 13, 2020, 03:30:22 pm »

I mean, here's a straight up FEAR playthrough. Also the game is on steam, but unfortunately is only available as part of a 50$ package of all the games. The later entries were lacking, unfortunately.

The audio in the game is also a m a z i n g. Really sells the horror atmosphere.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 03:32:59 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152321 on: July 13, 2020, 03:35:50 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:48:36 am by dragdeler »
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152322 on: July 13, 2020, 03:51:36 pm »

HL2's combine soldier AI was actually surprisingly capable... It just never got the chance to actually show off during the main game.

There's a map you can download, however, that features a simple urban environment with a couple nodes and two repeatedly spawning teams of combine soldiers that are aggressive towards each other.

With that, you can see them flank, flush out, retreat, bang and clear, and generally be actually pretty tight. But the main campaign is so heavily scripted and railroaded that you never get to see much of this behavior.

...plus you can combine it with SMOD, and get some sick firefights going down!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #152323 on: July 13, 2020, 03:59:26 pm »

What is name of map

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #152324 on: July 13, 2020, 04:00:04 pm »

Always liked the AI in all the Metal Gear Solid games. They feel human in how they react to things. Though you don't tend to get into a lot of protracted firefights and they usually die quick, so you don't get a lot of chance to see tactics.

A good part of making a game where the enemy AI seem smart is in having them say stuff so the player hears. Having a really smart AI doesn't help much if the player never notices.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.
Pages: 1 ... 10153 10154 [10155] 10156 10157 ... 10983