Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10154 10155 [10156] 10157 10158 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12998222 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #152325 on: July 13, 2020, 04:09:03 pm »

« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 04:14:48 pm by Loud Whispers »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #152326 on: July 13, 2020, 04:21:36 pm »

F
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152327 on: July 13, 2020, 04:22:23 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:48:40 am by dragdeler »
let

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152328 on: July 13, 2020, 04:34:51 pm »

What video game has the smartest AI?

That would be the first F.E.A.R game. They managed to achieve that feat by personalizing the AI of each specific encounter to the area it appeared in. To put it a different way, rather than design a general AI which would analyze an area and figure out how to fight in it, they told the AI how to fight for each specific level which gave the designers a lot more control in how the encounter would play out. The AI would immediately know which places were safe to hide in, where the good flanking routes were for reaching a given player position, and they'd even be given a few special environmental tricks sometimes such as kicking over tables or vaulting over railings (though I guess that one is in other games too).

F.E.A.R.'s AI was an incredible breakthrough in gaming and it's a crime that no one's ever bothered to replicate it since. Even the original developers gave up on it as it was nowhere to be found in the sequels.

They actually revealed afterwards that the AI wasn't any smarter than normal, but they had figured out how the AI and players were pathfinding, so they built levels that made it seem like the AI were doing smart things.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152329 on: July 13, 2020, 05:39:10 pm »

What video game has the smartest AI?

That would be the first F.E.A.R game. They managed to achieve that feat by personalizing the AI of each specific encounter to the area it appeared in. To put it a different way, rather than design a general AI which would analyze an area and figure out how to fight in it, they told the AI how to fight for each specific level which gave the designers a lot more control in how the encounter would play out. The AI would immediately know which places were safe to hide in, where the good flanking routes were for reaching a given player position, and they'd even be given a few special environmental tricks sometimes such as kicking over tables or vaulting over railings (though I guess that one is in other games too).

F.E.A.R.'s AI was an incredible breakthrough in gaming and it's a crime that no one's ever bothered to replicate it since. Even the original developers gave up on it as it was nowhere to be found in the sequels.

They actually revealed afterwards that the AI wasn't any smarter than normal, but they had figured out how the AI and players were pathfinding, so they built levels that made it seem like the AI were doing smart things.

Ya, they custom-built the AI for each fight, to put it simply.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152330 on: July 13, 2020, 06:40:20 pm »

You got that the wrong way around. From what Iduno said, it looks like they used generic AI but did testing and tweaked the *levels* until it appeared that the AI happened to be smarter.

To put it another way, if the AIs are always  getting stuck on corners, you can either try and rewrite the AIs so that they avoid the corners (hard), rewrite the physics/collision system (hard) or just make it so there are no hard corners where the AI goes (easy). "Removing the corners" (or putting invisible cushions on the corners) is the kind of tweak we're talking about here, and while it'll help the AIs seem less dumb, I'd hardly call that "writing custom AI" for the situation of getting stuck on corners.

The reason they couldn't replicate the AI trick for the F.E.A.R sequels by that reasoning is that because custom map-tweaking to make "clever" AI things happen is a trick you can only pull off once. Once you've used up the bag of tricks then you can only pull off the same tricks again.

For example you might have a rating on standing in different locations, so you give an area with good cover value a high rating, so the AIs will tend to want to go there, and they won't tend to wander out into the open fire-area where the player can shoot them because that area has a low rating. It will just appear that they're not wandering out because they don't want to be shot, but it's costly in development time to bother with all this.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 07:12:03 pm by Reelya »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152331 on: July 13, 2020, 07:21:25 pm »

Ah, no. That's not what they did.

It worked in FEAR because of the segmented nature of the story, and the lore basically allows for the enemies to be ambushing you at every turn if necessery.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 07:23:36 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152332 on: July 14, 2020, 02:40:04 pm »

I feel like this discussion isn't going to much further unless someone starts citing sources. Otherwise it's one person's word against the others. All I can say is that when I played F.E.A.R, the AI used some pretty sophisticated tactics that I can't possibly see as the result of some level design tweaks. I've had the AI sneak up on me, fire some rounds and then retreat behind a wall as it tried to reposition for another ambush. Maybe fancy level geometry can create something like that, but all I can tell you is that it definitely beats the chest-high-wall wack-a-mole you see in so many other shooters.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152333 on: July 14, 2020, 02:47:25 pm »

Fair nuff.

Point is it's a fun game, and the enemies act in a way that is additionally conducive to fun.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152334 on: July 14, 2020, 07:09:50 pm »

I feel like this discussion isn't going to much further unless someone starts citing sources. Otherwise it's one person's word against the others. All I can say is that when I played F.E.A.R, the AI used some pretty sophisticated tactics that I can't possibly see as the result of some level design tweaks. I've had the AI sneak up on me, fire some rounds and then retreat behind a wall as it tried to reposition for another ambush. Maybe fancy level geometry can create something like that, but all I can tell you is that it definitely beats the chest-high-wall wack-a-mole you see in so many other shooters.

I tried, but it turns out "fear" is sort of a common term, even in game design (so adding game to the search terms doesn't help so much).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #152335 on: July 14, 2020, 07:14:51 pm »

Friggin' shuffle playing mind games. Went from the tail*end of great big sea's The Mermaid ("here fishy fishy fishy") to a song by this person. *I apologize for nothing
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152336 on: July 14, 2020, 07:29:19 pm »

Yo I don't have time to read it right now but here's an article from M.I. freakin T about the AI in F.E.A.R.

Let it be the meter by which our truths are measured.

http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~jorkin/gdc2006_orkin_jeff_fear.pdf

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152337 on: July 14, 2020, 07:33:27 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:48:32 am by dragdeler »
let

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152338 on: July 14, 2020, 07:45:40 pm »

Let it be the meter by which our truths are measured.

Spoiler: fair enough (click to show/hide)

The pizza ordering metric alone puts this AI at the level of your average college student, at least.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152339 on: July 15, 2020, 03:59:02 am »

"Orkin, Jeff"

If you swap the beginnings of his names around, it becomes "Jerkin, Off"
Pages: 1 ... 10154 10155 [10156] 10157 10158 ... 10973