Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10172 10173 [10174] 10175 10176 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12995309 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #152595 on: July 30, 2020, 03:50:02 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:45:39 am by dragdeler »
let

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152596 on: July 30, 2020, 06:07:17 pm »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152597 on: July 30, 2020, 06:14:44 pm »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152598 on: July 30, 2020, 06:48:16 pm »

Knowledge is power, as the saying goes. What are we getting to know more about? To where does the rainbow trail gold eagle fly?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152599 on: July 30, 2020, 06:53:28 pm »

You've never seen starship troopers NG?

You are missing out.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152600 on: July 30, 2020, 07:28:33 pm »

"Starship Troopers NG" sounds like Starship Troopers Next Generation, a spin-off weekly TV series.

Let's just say if you did agree to find out more when they said "would you like to know more" it will probably end with you being dead or a cripple.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 07:45:19 pm by Reelya »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #152601 on: July 30, 2020, 07:59:09 pm »

it involves'volunteering' into the army, or 'volunteering' in a blind study.

most of the citizen's rights in the ST lore are tied to you actually being a citizen, which is dependent upon successful completion of a term of service.

the book was cooler though, and a better explanation of itself.
.the movie is known for being top noch b-movie fodder
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #152602 on: July 30, 2020, 09:11:15 pm »

Specifically, in the Starship Troopers book you could get citizenship from any form of service, the sole and entire perk of citizenship was the right to vote, the and they actively tried to prevent people from enlisting in the military just to get it. Also, the government was an ordinary republic of the sort anyone today would recognize. Both wars we see are defensive, with one being negotiated to a peace and the other heading toward an extermination war only because the bugs refuse to coexist. There's also at least one alien race that is on friendly terms with Earth.

In the Starship Troopers film the military was the only path to citizenship, you lost a lot of rights (up to and including easily having children) without it, and the entire system was designed for the purpose of indoctrinating people into cannon fodder for the entirely military government's wars, which are implied to be started by said government for the purpose of keeping the populace in line. The only war we see is a war of extermination, which is implied to be merely the latest, and the bugs are the only aliens.

The book was principally an examination by Heinlein of the all-volunteer military taken to extremes and applied to all society via a "restricted universal suffrage", where only people who were invested in making the system work had the vote.

The film was an unrelated schlocky movie that had elements of the book's plot pasted on after getting the license,led by a director who declared the book fascist at a quick read of the early chapters and never finished the thing.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #152603 on: July 30, 2020, 09:25:20 pm »

Specifically, in the Starship Troopers book you could get citizenship from any form of service, the sole and entire perk of citizenship was the right to vote, the and they actively tried to prevent people from enlisting in the military just to get it. Also, the government was an ordinary republic of the sort anyone today would recognize. Both wars we see are defensive, with one being negotiated to a peace and the other heading toward an extermination war only because the bugs refuse to coexist. There's also at least one alien race that is on friendly terms with Earth.

In the Starship Troopers film the military was the only path to citizenship, you lost a lot of rights (up to and including easily having children) without it, and the entire system was designed for the purpose of indoctrinating people into cannon fodder for the entirely military government's wars, which are implied to be started by said government for the purpose of keeping the populace in line. The only war we see is a war of extermination, which is implied to be merely the latest, and the bugs are the only aliens.

The book was principally an examination by Heinlein of the all-volunteer military taken to extremes and applied to all society via a "restricted universal suffrage", where only people who were invested in making the system work had the vote.

The film was an unrelated schlocky movie that had elements of the book's plot pasted on after getting the license,led by a director who declared the book fascist at a quick read of the early chapters and never finished the thing.

The book was principally anti-Marxist and Heinlein has been accused of being a fascist sympathizer since it was published six decades ago.

The director of the movie grew up during WWII in the Nazi-occupied Netherlands, so it’s unsurprising he’s not particularly interested in glorifying the right wing parts of something that is still debated - to this day - over its political leanings.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #152604 on: July 30, 2020, 09:28:15 pm »

I think Heinlein was too politically exploratory in his work to be accused of being a fascist outright, but Starship Troopers is absolutely a book that glorifies fascism. It's ironically one of the best examinations of fascism's seductive nature for that purpose, and I imagine that's why the director of the film took it the way he did.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #152605 on: July 30, 2020, 10:20:13 pm »

Learned today that you can launch Half-Life 2 without Steam. Literally the first game ever on the platform doesn't use it as DRM. Where'd the meme of steam being inherently DRM come from?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #152606 on: July 31, 2020, 12:28:21 am »

Oh god.

I got myself a cheap 4k TV, and went and hooked it up to my computer to optionally use as a second monitor.

I have... an absolutely silly amount of screen real estate. More than I can reasonably do with.

It's just, programs need to take a journey to distant lands of the left side of the screen.

I can have.... so much code open at once.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #152607 on: July 31, 2020, 12:53:18 am »

That's why "multiple monitors" is in the Programmer Bill of Rights.

Whatcha censoring?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #152608 on: July 31, 2020, 01:05:04 am »

Not censoring anything in the screenshot.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #152609 on: July 31, 2020, 04:01:07 am »

"numerOfItems" :P
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 10172 10173 [10174] 10175 10176 ... 10973