Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10173 10174 [10175] 10176 10177 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12999564 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #152610 on: July 31, 2020, 04:09:45 am »

me spell english? thats unpossible.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #152611 on: July 31, 2020, 06:38:44 am »

So... what program is that, anyway? It looks like an expensive skin for notepad++, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152612 on: July 31, 2020, 06:39:55 am »

Learned today that you can launch Half-Life 2 without Steam. Literally the first game ever on the platform doesn't use it as DRM. Where'd the meme of steam being inherently DRM come from?

I'm pretty sure you had to at the time. You needed to run games online once before you could run them offline. Dialup and limited data plans of a few gigabytes made things like patches more painful. I've never considered Steam DRM but it was annoying not being able to run Half-Life 2 out of the box, I feel that's something that's been changed in a patch somewhere along the line.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #152613 on: July 31, 2020, 08:01:55 am »

The reason is that most games do in fact use Steam as DRM, and most of the ones that dont dont advertise it. TBH I only learned about the presence of DRM free games in Steam because Paradox claimed it was DRM-free, to my surprise.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #152614 on: July 31, 2020, 09:30:25 am »

"New programming language and tool ensures code will compute as intended" (https://techxplore.com/news/2020-07-language-tool-code.amp)

If I'm reading that title right, I'm pretty sure that's impossible. Literally impossible. Because the Halting Problem is formally undecidable.
formally undecidable.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #152616 on: July 31, 2020, 10:16:10 am »

Pretty sure that's impossible too. Or at least, extremely inefficient.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152617 on: July 31, 2020, 11:11:49 am »

If you read the article it's specifically for concurrency, so you can put asserts about the multitasking properties of the code and you know it's not going to fuck up. It's limited domain. It doesn't mean that whatever code you put in there will magically do what's in your brain, the logic can still have flaws. But this is to solve common multitasking issues specifically.

In the article they say "provably correct", so what they've actually done is code some sort of logic framework that can take code written in this language and tell you a definitive yes/no as to whether it's broken from a concurrency viewpoint.

The halting problem is kind of irrelevant here. What they're saying is that they have a system in place that's provable for a subdomain which is concurrency. Proving all things is impossible. Proving some things is definitely possible. Bringing up the halting problem here is like saying you can't plot a line because of Cantor's proof of uncountable infinities.

delphonso, the published work contradicts both of the things you just said:

Parno and a team of researchers recently published a new coding language and tool for high-performance concurrent programs that ensures that programs are provably-correct—that is, that the code is mathematically proven to compute correctly. The language and tool, named Armada, was presented at this year's Conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation, and the paper received a Distinguished Paper award.

I'm kind of guessing that something existing is the proof of concept against the idea that it can't exist.

Pretty much sums up the whole thing.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 11:24:19 am by Reelya »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #152618 on: July 31, 2020, 11:26:14 am »

Thanks for the explanation!
Not censoring anything in the screenshot.

I was referring to the string "[CENSOR]" in there.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #152619 on: July 31, 2020, 11:31:39 am »

Oooooh.

That's mosaic censor for boobs.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152620 on: July 31, 2020, 11:41:22 am »

Watcha programming there rose?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #152621 on: July 31, 2020, 12:15:46 pm »

Just a DF mod.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152622 on: July 31, 2020, 12:26:39 pm »

Oh I see.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #152623 on: July 31, 2020, 12:46:11 pm »

"Just a DF mod" says nonchalantly the maker of Armok Vision, Stonesense, and more
Love, scriver~

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #152624 on: July 31, 2020, 05:09:05 pm »

Why does a DF mod need a mosaic censor for boobs, and do I want to know.
Pages: 1 ... 10173 10174 [10175] 10176 10177 ... 10974