Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10178 10179 [10180] 10181 10182 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13129873 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #152685 on: August 03, 2020, 12:34:53 am »

Nah, not quite. I'm pretty sure if you bottled Laverton it would be a Class-A substance at least...   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152686 on: August 03, 2020, 01:07:48 am »

At least it's not Sundrop.  In a bottle.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #152687 on: August 03, 2020, 03:42:52 am »

Statutory rape at a minimum, td1, if for some reason playing apologetics for a fucking segregationist is really the game you want to be playing. 22 year old screwing a 15-16 year old is criminal in a lot of places, nevermind the rest of the shit involved with this particular situation.

Oh, I was arguing against his broad definition. A nineteen year old can sleep with a twenty-five year old if she wants and not have it be rape.

I don't know a huge amount about the current case, except that it sounds from Reelya's argument that it wasn't legally rape in that time and place.

I'd be inclined to say it wasn't rape. Neither of the two possible conditions have been met.
1) There's no testimony or evidence that she didn't consent.
2) She wasn't too young, as Chairman's map implies.

There's a reason courts espouse "innocent until proven guilty." It's because blaming people on gut instinct, while probably correct, is not always accurate.

That being said, this does sound incredibly suspicious. I'm sure something bad and/or malicious happened. But from what I gather, there's no evidence. And that, I think, has also been Reelya's contention.

Legally it was not rape.

It's even possible that he did nothing wrong, legally or otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 04:01:20 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152688 on: August 03, 2020, 07:23:28 am »

And if Boston Legal showed me something, besides the fun side of a mentally ill captain Kirk taking refugee on a legal drama inside the holodeck to spend his last sad days, is that you cant condem a person if there is no evidence beyond reasonable doubt, or something along those lines.

The guy in question was a horrible person to say the least, and MWH has his heart in the right place, and as Hector said, sundrop in a bottle. Also, we can infere there was foul play for sure, but we arent sure 100%

Edit: BTW, which kind of sick fuck would think 9 years old is an age of consent? looking at chair map.

Also yay we woke up with power again.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 07:27:54 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152689 on: August 03, 2020, 07:34:35 am »

There's some interesting developing cultures that have.... Interesting practices.

I would give links to some of the ones I know about, but it always blows up like stellar plasma in a low pressure environment.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152690 on: August 03, 2020, 07:38:50 am »

Yeah, dont mind that one wierd. Is just wow... at that age most girls didnt have had their menarche even (had to google how is writen in english) they still are literaly children in all aspects boys and girls, hence the sick fucks they must be, not the childen, the ones having sex with them, thats pedofilia, literally, text book example.

Migth be cultural thing? Sure, maybe, I really dont care. Its like if some Mexican/Guatemalan or central america people start to pry out peoples hearts atop buildings and then said "hey this is a cultural thing, back off"
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 07:43:15 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #152691 on: August 03, 2020, 08:25:47 am »

The map trips me up because usually on maps green (and blue) means something good. But on this map it's countries with an age of consent less than 15. Gross...

And yeah Yemen is weird. And according to the map Saudi Arabia and Oman don't have age of consent at all! However all three countries, plus many others, have sex outside of marriage as illegal and I'm not sure if marrying at 9 is common there.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 08:28:54 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152692 on: August 03, 2020, 08:52:58 am »

Child marriage is surprisingly common in the world, and correlates strongly with strongly patriarchal (and culturally archaic) societies.

That is to say, ones that tend to enshrine male dominance over female agency as a cultural staple, to the point of females being considered property or chattels. (A great many forms of wickedness are possible, when one does not consider the recipient(s) as persons. This is an important lesson for current society, vis-a-vis the future evolution of AI, should it ever arrive. Humans will want to cling to the notion that the machines should serve without question, and a great many forms of wickedness will be around. In this case, we get to see the hold-overs from the bronze age cultural heritage of such regions, and how the view of women as non-persons without rights leads to great wickedness, as its parallel.)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152693 on: August 03, 2020, 09:38:42 am »

The rolling balck outs are geting out of hand and more than rage inducing.

We are getting to the point the hours without electricity are almost the same ammount with power. If the trend keeps going then we can expect to soon have a few hours of power every day, or every other day. In fact some regions of the country are already there from some time ago, I live in a industrial city that is also a comerce hub so our suffering has been spared for a long time I guess?

That sucks. I hope things start working out for you.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152694 on: August 03, 2020, 09:49:13 am »

Child marriage is surprisingly common in the world, and correlates strongly with strongly patriarchal (and culturally archaic) societies.

That is to say, ones that tend to enshrine male dominance over female agency as a cultural staple, to the point of females being considered property or chattels. (A great many forms of wickedness are possible, when one does not consider the recipient(s) as persons. This is an important lesson for current society, vis-a-vis the future evolution of AI, should it ever arrive. Humans will want to cling to the notion that the machines should serve without question, and a great many forms of wickedness will be around. In this case, we get to see the hold-overs from the bronze age cultural heritage of such regions, and how the view of women as non-persons without rights leads to great wickedness, as its parallel.)
I’m one of the humans who think AIs shouldn’t be slaves. Just because their bodies aren’t made of cells doesn’t mean they’re lesser than us. It’s unfortunate that we are still trying to subjugate other humans and AI. When will we stop trying to rule over those who don’t want to be ruled over!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152695 on: August 03, 2020, 09:50:00 am »

This is a graphic of the current* state of power generation in Venezuela:

For those of you that don't speak "mexican" :P :D the bar a the left represents demand of the region summed up in MW, the one at the right represent the generation capacity of the region (counting importation from other regions) again in total MW, the country here is divided in 8 regions.
At the demand bar (left) on each region the turquoise represent regional generation, the green how much is imported from other regions. The red is how much the region exports, in this case the only one exporting is Guayana because there we have the Guri Damn (Venezuela response to the Hoover Damn).

At the capacity bar (right), the turquoise again represents current generation and the yellow inoperative generation.

I live in the "Centro Occidente" region, which has the higher ratio of demand vs. operative and if you see it's the only region without enough installed capacity.

*It's actually from 6 months ago, probably things are far worst now.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 09:53:21 am by LordBaal »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152696 on: August 03, 2020, 03:02:05 pm »

I'd argue the other way. Those relationships exist in the existing economic framework. As the economy evolves then the tradition of those marriages falls away. The west didn't really have to outlaw such marriages to make them rare, they just became rare. As evidence, look at extremely wealthy Arab states, such as UAE, Kuwait and Qatar: they have a lower overall gender age gap at marriage than the USA does, despite being extremely patriarchal and conservative, while places like Nigeria have a very high gap and a lot of those child marriages.

The economic realities that make such marriages a thing are low life expectancy, the need for large families and the long time required to become financially stable. If you need a big family then you either have more than one wife, or you have a young wife. In such a situation, if a new modern government comes in and does a census and cracks down on any polygamy situations, which may be traditional, then that would in fact push things economically to favoring a young wife, since she can produce enough kids to work the land: and for poor subsistence farmers this is borderline not even a choice. If you don't make the optimal choice, then you basically lose the race and your family farm is lost or absorbed into a different family who did prioritize having more kids. You're being pressured by the grandparents to ensure you pop out at least 12 grandkids, because that will ensure good odds that 1-2 boys will survive to adulthood to carry on the family.

So if you don't want so many child marriages you need to make it so having a lot of kids is no longer a required thing you just have to do to survive. This also explains why it works one way but not the other. If you have a young girl marry an older man, he is at the point of having more economic value during the marriage (skills, strength, acquired resources), while she has a longer period of child-bearing possible. If you reverse that and have a young boy marry an older woman, what are the economic advantages of that, exactly? None, basically, which explains why it isn't a thing in any existing culture. So, that model doesn't actually require any tacit scheming to keep men in power, it's just the economically more sensible arrangement, which is why it became widespread.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 04:38:05 pm by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152697 on: August 03, 2020, 11:55:15 pm »

I discovered Clickhole videos the other day, and the surrealist postmodern humor was just hilariously funny to me. Atleast for the first few videos I watched. The novelty of the lolrandom scriptwriting wore off real quick, and now my youtube recommendations are flooded with an endless stream of Clickhole videos. Holy shit they made a lot of these things.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152698 on: August 04, 2020, 01:42:20 am »

I discovered Clickhole videos the other day, and the surrealist postmodern humor was just hilariously funny to me. Atleast for the first few videos I watched. The novelty of the lolrandom scriptwriting wore off real quick, and now my youtube recommendations are flooded with an endless stream of Clickhole videos. Holy shit they made a lot of these things.

I watch one of their videos now, behind the scene "facts" about the making of The Terminator. I enjoyed it, felt like a parody of those WatchMojo type of things. do not watch WatchMojo, they're a soulless content mill munching on the carcass of nerd culture. Any of those channels with a million videos like "10 things you didn't know about Mark Hamill's underpants" all suck.

BTW this guy's worth watching, he dissects some of the shittier channels you should avoid, basically because they're giant machines that spew repackaged content they stole from all the small channels, or in some cases stealing whole 'listicle' articles and turning them into a glossy video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dslCEMHU9sU
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 02:00:24 am by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #152699 on: August 04, 2020, 04:49:05 am »

If you reverse that and have a young boy marry an older woman, what are the economic advantages of that, exactly? None, basically, which explains why it isn't a thing in any existing culture.
MATRILINEAL CK2 DRIFTING INTENSIFIES

Also I agree with you, but to add more detail to your point, there are also neat exceptions or examples. Ke jia ren for example used to have very large families whilst passing inheritance down the female line, so even in such examples it still makes sense to have a large family because every helping farm hand is helpful
Pages: 1 ... 10178 10179 [10180] 10181 10182 ... 10979