Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10179 10180 [10181] 10182 10183 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13000956 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #152700 on: August 04, 2020, 06:33:32 am »

If you reverse that and have a young boy marry an older woman, what are the economic advantages of that, exactly? None, basically, which explains why it isn't a thing in any existing culture.
MATRILINEAL CK2 DRIFTING INTENSIFIES

Also I agree with you, but to add more detail to your point, there are also neat exceptions or examples. Ke jia ren for example used to have very large families whilst passing inheritance down the female line, so even in such examples it still makes sense to have a large family because every helping farm hand is helpful

I think that's kind of orthogonal to what I was talking about. Whether or not inheritance is passed down the female or male line isn't necessarily related to whether it makes sense for men or women to marry younger or older. If a woman wants more kids, she needs to start having them younger, whereas if you bring a man into the family, it still makes sense to bring an older man in as you can be selective and select one with good skills, and like dowries for women the man will still bring his own wealth into the family, even if matriarchal. So it still doesn't make much sense to marry the daughter to a younger man. So, the determining factor for whether you marry an older man to a younger woman is down to the having kids thing, not down to whether things are patriarchal or matriarchal.

The exception of course to every rule is political marriages, and those are not exactly norms, so people who think everyone was getting married at age 7 in the middle ages are actually wrong.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 06:36:23 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #152701 on: August 04, 2020, 03:17:21 pm »

Why is the computer always troubles

I updated a driver and now everything is going crazy

Edit: and blue screen whyyyyyyyyy
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 03:23:16 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152702 on: August 04, 2020, 03:31:28 pm »

Because microsoft talks out both sides of its ass, by demanding signed drivers, while doing absolutely no QA unit testing.

They then double-down with a nice dose of "We don't think you are smart enough to handle what drivers you use by yourself, so we update them without asking behind your back."

That's why.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #152703 on: August 04, 2020, 03:47:32 pm »

To be fair, we're totally not smart enough to handle drivers.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152704 on: August 04, 2020, 03:48:21 pm »

I don't know what any of that means and I just want to drink my sloeberry liquor while it works itself out :( :( :(
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152705 on: August 04, 2020, 04:08:43 pm »

Ok.

Once upon a time,  there was a thing called the "Microsoft Hardware Quality Lab".

In this magical place, people who worked for microsoft collaborated with hardware makers (and their driver dev teams), to help assure that their hardware and drivers worked as expected with the operating system.  In addition to this, there was an in-house testing and quality assurance group to assure that the operating system *ITSELF* behaved as expected.

Sometime in 2014, those things got cut back very stringently, and eventually vanished completely.

So, what exactly *IS* a signed driver?

Well, in the days of yore-- it meant that the driver had been tested in the Microsoft Hardware Quality Lab, against test samples of the hardware, and that the driver works as expected. To validate that the driver has not been tampered with, a digital signature is calculated against it, and included in a companion .pnf file.  If anything in the driver changes even in the slightest, this signature does not match, and the OS goes "NAUGHTY!" and wont install it.  Under the new paradigm, since THERE IS NO TESTING BEING DONE IN A CONSISTENT OR STRUCTURED MANNER, all it does is assure that the driver has not been tampered with in some fashion.

Now...  Let's say you have a somewhat old nvidia video card.  It is no longer "Officially" supported by the latest driver package. (the nvidia software goes 'no, go F yourself, and buy a newer card!')  However-- the driver *TOTALLY WILL* work with the card, and this new driver enables some new technology that you really want.  If you were savvy, you could drop in the PCI_ID inside the .inf file, and manually install the driver, tell MS to go F itself when it complains about the non-signed driver, and BOOM-- Fancy features activated yo! 

Nowdays?  NO-- YOU ARENT SMART ENOUGH TO DO THAT! WE WILL MANAGE YOUR DRIVERS! WE WILL REINSTALL THE OLD DRIVER ALL THE DAMN TIME, HOW DARE YOU!

Then there's the whole "Whoops, we screwed up and released a buggy version of our driver (which was not caught BECAUSE NO STRUCTURED TESTING) to the signature program, but we released a working one on our support site-- It has not gone through the red tape to get signed yet--- and probably never will, because that's a costly process for us for a product that is halfway through its product lifecycle, and it is more in our financial interests to focus on the new model hardware and its driver."

So, you install the updated driver, and it works fine.  But then-- MS goes "NOOO!! UNSIGNED DRIVER! WE WILL ***FIX*** IT FOR YOU!!"

And then your computer gets the old buggy driver again, and bluescreens happen.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152706 on: August 04, 2020, 04:10:27 pm »

Don't let the bill gates vaccine inject you with digital certificates.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152708 on: August 04, 2020, 04:13:03 pm »

I rather cookies.

Yeah the explosion is huge and also had this red smoke. Really seems like a pretty small nuke. I know is not but wow.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 06:09:54 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152709 on: August 04, 2020, 04:54:13 pm »

Well I finally managed to start up   safe mode and deimstall the Nvidia driver i installed earlier so I no longer have constsnt bluescreens and crashes.

Problem is now I don't have any driver for my Nvidia graphics card

Oh and it still does weird flashing/blinking and short freezing.

Fuck computers, man. I don't even know where to begin

Edit: nope it's freezing over again, just not going to blue screen. So that's a step back I guess.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 05:01:03 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152710 on: August 04, 2020, 07:45:36 pm »

Is this a laptop? Get the model number, find the actual driver pack. Another possibility is that you have overheating problems in the GPU. Pull back off, remove any dust, check that fans actually spin. The next level above that is to apply thermal compound to where the GPU chip is probably against a metal heatsink. In laptops they often use cheap thermal pads, but these can wear out, so you put a grain-of-rice sized dollop of thermal compound in there instead, and press closed.

If it's not a laptop, then you can try older drivers and see how you go. But if it's failing with the generic Windows driver, the card might just be fried. Same deal, check that things like fans actually spin on your card, and I've never done it but they do put new thermal paste on those too as well CPUs. Was this card new or second hand?

Another last resort is to get some drivers in there, then underclock the GPU to make it more stable:
https://www.thetechlounge.com/blog/how-to-underclock-gpu/
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 07:54:54 pm by Reelya »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152711 on: August 04, 2020, 07:58:58 pm »

Logged into steam to check out a new update for a game I haven't played for months. The game's missing from my library, and steam's asking me to purchase it again.

A few games are giving me this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't have any alternate profiles that I could have signed into, and the games are still in my purchase history. The store pages for the games say they're still in my library, as well.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 08:14:37 pm by BlackFlyme »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #152712 on: August 04, 2020, 08:00:20 pm »

I’d say message steam support.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152713 on: August 04, 2020, 08:04:47 pm »

Yup. And or, see if there have been any "gifts" made.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152714 on: August 04, 2020, 08:09:41 pm »

You can gif out your games now? Like if it were a disk? I mean, you transfer your key to another account?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 10179 10180 [10181] 10182 10183 ... 10974