Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10180 10181 [10182] 10183 10184 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12996664 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #152715 on: August 04, 2020, 08:12:53 pm »

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=549#gifts-whatare

However, it looks like "One you have purchased and played" you cannot gift.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152716 on: August 04, 2020, 08:33:01 pm »

Well, no mysterious gifts, but it looks like a lot of people are having the same problem today.

It looks like some games that were put on sale accidentally'd themselves from people's libraries.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152717 on: August 04, 2020, 08:35:06 pm »

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=549#gifts-whatare

However, it looks like "One you have purchased and played" you cannot gift.

Note however they omit the case of one you have purchased yet never played. They don't want a secondary economy of people re-gifting unwanted games they bought to people who want them because that very market inefficiency is a source of profit for them. Digital licenses are a different type of ownership to owning a book or CD. I think they're valid in what they are, but they need to be priced fairly for what you actually get. (this is why virtually all of the 500 games I have in Steam came from the $1 tier in Humble Bundle).

There's no actual real reason to expect them to be exact analogues of owning a physical copy of something. They're more akin to buying a lifetime gym membership rather than buying a piece of gym equipment you use in your own home. A license means that you can download that thing whenever you want, and like a lifetime gym membership there's no real argument that the license must absolutely be transferable. Don't like it, don't get it. It'll get priced according to what people think that license is worth, warts and all. If digital licenses were mandated that they must be transferrable, then they'd jack up the price since each sale would mean negative delta-x amount of sales in the future (on average), so that would be factored into the market price.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 08:46:51 pm by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152718 on: August 05, 2020, 03:11:47 am »

Double post, but i just do not understand people sometimes

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/08/metoostem-founder-admits-to-creating-twitter-persona-who-died-of-covid-19/

Here you have a middle class white person who's supposed to be pro social justice, who's quite deep into the whole activism in academia thing, but they also, on the side, made a fake LGBT woman-of-color sock puppet, got them popular, then decided to kill them off dramatically. However, since the person they were masquerading as was also a completely fictional person supposedly working as a professor as a well know university, people obviously looked into it then and realized something was up.

What's the fucking decision making process behind this whole thing, I have no idea, but making a fake LGBT person of color to push your views does add credence to the idea that some white people co-opt minority causes for their own person aggrandizement.

Here's an older article outlining her style of activism:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/11/30/metoo-activist-bethann-mclaughlin-focused-scientists/UAvSIL2uGskEf5YUkcQhoO/story.html

She's pretty obsessed with rooting people out and destroying careers over personal failures or accusations. The person she reminds me of the most, actually, is Senator Joseph McCarthy, but just picking a different hill to fight on.

EDIT: actually reading the full ArsTechnica article now, after having skimmed her bio for an overview. This shit defies belief. She's constantly attacking other female and minority science activists, more so than she even does for the men she's supposed to be fighting. This is some Machiavellian evil shit.

Quote from: The ArsTechnica article
But allegations soon emerged that McLaughlin bullied and harassed others, especially people of color. She also faced accusations of a lack of transparency. The entire #MeTooSTEM board would eventually resign, leaving just McLaughlin herself and a single volunteer listed on the site.

Man the ArsTechnica article is a great read, especially the tweets and detective work people did to put everything together. Going from what other people are saying, the sheer number of actual people of color, other female scientists, etc that she used her account and the sock puppet account to harass and bully is quite surprising.

EDIT: having read the whole thing, i now rescind what I said at the start. I do understand this person, but they're just an evil hypocritical p.o.s.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 04:15:16 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #152719 on: August 05, 2020, 04:11:27 am »

Is this a laptop? Get the model number, find the actual driver pack. Another possibility is that you have overheating problems in the GPU. Pull back off, remove any dust, check that fans actually spin. The next level above that is to apply thermal compound to where the GPU chip is probably against a metal heatsink. In laptops they often use cheap thermal pads, but these can wear out, so you put a grain-of-rice sized dollop of thermal compound in there instead, and press closed.

If it's not a laptop, then you can try older drivers and see how you go. But if it's failing with the generic Windows driver, the card might just be fried. Same deal, check that things like fans actually spin on your card, and I've never done it but they do put new thermal paste on those too as well CPUs. Was this card new or second hand?

Another last resort is to get some drivers in there, then underclock the GPU to make it more stable:
https://www.thetechlounge.com/blog/how-to-underclock-gpu/

Thanks, I went to sleep so I couldn't respond, but I appreciate it
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #152720 on: August 05, 2020, 04:42:38 am »

Double post, but i just do not understand people sometimes

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/08/metoostem-founder-admits-to-creating-twitter-persona-who-died-of-covid-19/

Here you have a middle class white person who's supposed to be pro social justice, who's quite deep into the whole activism in academia thing, but they also, on the side, made a fake LGBT woman-of-color sock puppet, got them popular, then decided to kill them off dramatically. However, since the person they were masquerading as was also a completely fictional person supposedly working as a professor as a well know university, people obviously looked into it then and realized something was up.

What's the fucking decision making process behind this whole thing, I have no idea, but making a fake LGBT person of color to push your views does add credence to the idea that some white people co-opt minority causes for their own person aggrandizement.

Here's an older article outlining her style of activism:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/11/30/metoo-activist-bethann-mclaughlin-focused-scientists/UAvSIL2uGskEf5YUkcQhoO/story.html

She's pretty obsessed with rooting people out and destroying careers over personal failures or accusations. The person she reminds me of the most, actually, is Senator Joseph McCarthy, but just picking a different hill to fight on.

EDIT: actually reading the full ArsTechnica article now, after having skimmed her bio for an overview. This shit defies belief. She's constantly attacking other female and minority science activists, more so than she even does for the men she's supposed to be fighting. This is some Machiavellian evil shit.

Quote from: The ArsTechnica article
But allegations soon emerged that McLaughlin bullied and harassed others, especially people of color. She also faced accusations of a lack of transparency. The entire #MeTooSTEM board would eventually resign, leaving just McLaughlin herself and a single volunteer listed on the site.

Man the ArsTechnica article is a great read, especially the tweets and detective work people did to put everything together. Going from what other people are saying, the sheer number of actual people of color, other female scientists, etc that she used her account and the sock puppet account to harass and bully is quite surprising.

EDIT: having read the whole thing, i now rescind what I said at the start. I do understand this person, but they're just an evil hypocritical p.o.s.

Attention is a devious mistress, sweeter than the most honeyed nectar. We all want her, no matter what it takes. Heeeey MACARENA!
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152721 on: August 05, 2020, 08:29:50 am »

Logged into steam to check out a new update for a game I haven't played for months. The game's missing from my library, and steam's asking me to purchase it again.

A few games are giving me this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't have any alternate profiles that I could have signed into, and the games are still in my purchase history. The store pages for the games say they're still in my library, as well.

Steam was also incredibly fucked again yesterday. Server outages, etc.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152722 on: August 05, 2020, 05:28:26 pm »

Power went out again. Only for a few minutes but it was those few minutes I happened to be in the bathroom. That's never fun.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152723 on: August 05, 2020, 07:00:23 pm »

Power went out again. Only for a few minutes but it was those few minutes I happened to be in the bathroom. That's never fun.
Yea everyone knows to not be in the bathroom in the dark.  You could be pulled into the toilet by a ghost by your anus You could have a ghost reach into your anus and pull your soul out of your body through it, asked which toilet paper color you prefer and then...pulled into the toilet by a different ghost, or look into a dark mirror and see a bloody woman and....that's it.

There are a lot of perverted ghosts spying on people in bathrooms apperantly.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 07:01:56 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152724 on: August 05, 2020, 07:08:22 pm »

That is a suspiciously specific series of butt-ghost related events.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152725 on: August 05, 2020, 07:32:08 pm »

The butt related ones are Japenese folklore.  Don't blame me, blame Japan.

Bathroom Kappa, "The Toilet Ghost"*, and Bloody Mary respectively.  Bloody Mary never seemed scary to me.  Oh you see a bloody woman in the mirror and nothing happens...woooooo.

(*Oh whaddaya know japan has MANY "Toilet Ghosts" the one I referred to is specifically Aka Manto.)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 07:47:48 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152726 on: August 05, 2020, 07:47:09 pm »

Did you move to Venezuela?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #152727 on: August 05, 2020, 10:30:04 pm »

Hurricane Isaias really really didn't like trees, and all those pesky wires were in the way
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152728 on: August 05, 2020, 11:17:21 pm »

The Onion, News in Brief:
Relieved Trump Administration Thankful To Finally Get Easy, Run-Of-The-Mill Hurricane Response To Fuck Up

While I'm here:
Sports News In Brief
Federal Troops Tear-Gas Yankees Off Field So Trump Can Throw Out First Pitch

Tree Loses Limb In Freak Chainsaw Accident
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 11:20:13 pm by Reelya »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152729 on: August 06, 2020, 02:32:38 am »

What's up with Japan what happened to them that they have all these toilet ghost, hair ghosts, and the squids raping people?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 10180 10181 [10182] 10183 10184 ... 10973