Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10182 10183 [10184] 10185 10186 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12996331 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #152745 on: August 06, 2020, 09:02:03 pm »

-

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #152746 on: August 06, 2020, 09:06:13 pm »

Obviously we just need to genetically engineer rats that are able to eat and digest plastic, and then release them into the great landfills where all the errant plastic is piling up. Then we'll just have a mutant rat problem instead of a plastic garbage problem.

Then we create a cat to eat the mutant rats, how about thast, and then a dog to eat the mutant cats, because of those Democrats, and then a horse to eat the mutant dogs, a problematical slog. For some reason it was a horse I don’t know why, of course.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152747 on: August 06, 2020, 09:12:27 pm »

Oh that's the best part then the horses all die out in the winter.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152748 on: August 06, 2020, 09:42:01 pm »

Refrigerator
You are terrible
A Sundrop in a Bottle

Go away go a
Way go away go away
But in a bottle
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152749 on: August 06, 2020, 09:45:42 pm »

No, we need to get rid of plastic, not get more of it. I remember reading that hydrocarbons get broken down in UV light and turned into non polymer parts of what used to be the polymer (forgot the official name for what this is called) which is still bad for the sea life. I think what we need to do is take plastic and break hydrogen bonds, forcing the carbons to bond with each other instead of the hydrogen. Of course the side effect of this will result in an increase of hydrogen gas in whatever area you’re doing this in, and the potential for making carbon dioxide or carbon monoxide. Hmm...maybe if we bond the hydrogen with oxygen while bonding the carbon, the end result being carbon, water, and hydrogen peroxide. This will likely result in lots of heat energy.

We need responsible use of plastics. Have you check out how much more carbon footprint there is for a cotton bag vs disposable plastic bag?

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/12/17337602/plastic-tote-bags-climate-change-litter-life-cycle-assessments-environment

Quote from: Article
I felt really good about myself, until I saw a report published earlier this year by Denmark’s Ministry of Environment and Food that said that plastic bags are better for the environment than organic cotton tote bags. In fact, of all the shopping bags the study looked at — from paper to recycled plastic — cotton tote bags fared the worst: they need to be reused thousands of times to have the same environmental footprint as a lightweight plastic bag

Cheap plastic bags can be a nuisance and people were not disposing of them properly, however, cheap things are cheap precisely because not a lot of resources are needed to make them. If you get disposable bags once a week and instead buy an equal amount of cotton bags to replace them, you need to go shopping with the same cotton bags weekly for 20+ years to have a net saving for the environment vs just getting low-cost plastic bags each time.

Quote from: Article
I decided to give up plastic bags because I wanted to do something about the scourge of plastic pollution in our oceans.

This bit's also been drawn into question.

https://phys.org/news/2019-09-ocean-plastic-ships.html

Most of the plastic bottles washing up on the rocky shores of Inaccessible Island, aptly named for its sheer cliffs rising from the middle of the South Atlantic, probably come from Chinese merchant ships, a study published Monday said.

The study offers fresh evidence that the vast garbage patches floating in the middle of oceans, which have sparked much consumer hand-wringing in recent years, are less the product of people dumping single-use plastics in waterways or on land, than they are the result of merchant marine vessels tossing their waste overboard by the ton.

The authors of the study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, or PNAS, collected thousands of pieces of waste during visits to the tiny island in 1984, 2009 and again in 2018.

The island is located roughly midway between Argentina and South Africa in the South Atlantic gyre, a vast whirlpool of currents that has created what has come to be known as an oceanic garbage patch.

While initial inspections of the trash washing up on the island showed labels indicating it had come from South America, some 2,000 miles (3,000 kilometers) to the west, by 2018 three-quarters of the garbage appeared to originate from Asia, mostly China.

So, the problem here is that they analyzed some of the Altantic garbage patch, but almost none of it is labeled according to what actually sells on land nearby. Back in 1984 most of the bottles were from South America, and by 2018 most of them shifted to being labeled in Chinese. What this is mainly about is that in the mid 80s many of the ships in the south Altantic would have been crewed by South Americans (Brazil ship building boom from 1960s - 1980s), but that shifted to Chinese ships in the modern era. They almost certainly dump their waste at sea to avoid paying port costs for garbage removal.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:04:26 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #152750 on: August 06, 2020, 10:31:04 pm »

Eh... talking about the patches when you're talking oceanic plastic pollution isn't even a majority of the problem, though, from what I understand of the current state of things. Someone concerned with oceanic plastic pollution would have worries well beyond the patch accumulations, and bottle compositions would just... not be much of a concern, especially if they're not personally dumping bottles in the drink.

The patches aren't even remotely a good thing, of course, but what seems to be getting folks concerned these days is more microplastic pollution... some of which floats down off the garbage patch stuff, but a lot (maybe most, don't recall right now) seems to be getting sourced from non-oceanic origin -- coming in through runoff or floating in on the wind.

It's apparently pretty damn insidious junk, too. Folks have started looking and they're finding the shit basically goddamn everywhere, from ocean trenches to arctic glaciers, sometimes in concentrations it's killing or sickening stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152751 on: August 06, 2020, 10:39:42 pm »

Obviously we just need to genetically engineer rats that are able to eat and digest plastic, and then release them into the great landfills where all the errant plastic is piling up. Then we'll just have a mutant rat problem instead of a plastic garbage problem.

Then we create a cat to eat the mutant rats, how about thast, and then a dog to eat the mutant cats, because of those Democrats, and then a horse to eat the mutant dogs, a problematical slog. For some reason it was a horse I don’t know why, of course.
There’s a bacteria within the larvae of Greatsr Wax Moths that digests polyetheline

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152752 on: August 06, 2020, 10:47:38 pm »

Eh... talking about the patches when you're talking oceanic plastic pollution isn't even a majority of the problem, though, from what I understand of the current state of things. Someone concerned with oceanic plastic pollution would have worries well beyond the patch accumulations, and bottle compositions would just... not be much of a concern, especially if they're not personally dumping bottles in the drink.

The patches are just a good source of sampling, to get a picture of where rubbish is coming from. This article has a good breakdown. A good point was that if you're actually in a major harbor, most of the refuse is from the shore, but everywhere else, it's predominantly stuff from fishing vessels, but I'd add merchant shipping to that. Even close to shore, it says 52% of all waste in the USA comes from ships.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X02002205?via%3Dihub

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #152753 on: August 06, 2020, 11:33:05 pm »

No, we need to get rid of plastic, not get more of it. I remember reading that hydrocarbons get broken down in UV light and turned into non polymer parts of what used to be the polymer (forgot the official name for what this is called)

The word you are thinking of is "monomer".

Plastic has become a major environmental bogeyman in the last 5-10 years, but this is not wholly justified. In many, many cases plastic requires significantly less energy to produce from fewer resources than alternatives like glass or metal, and disposing of it creates less environmental impact on a per-unit basis. We could stand to reduce a lot of plastic use, but it isn't the devil it is made out to be.

To a large extent, plastic falls into the same category that a ton of other "environmental" initiatives do - the propnents act as if individual consumers are the primary driver, in order to conceal the fact that direct consumer use contributes a small fraction of the problem compared to industrial, commercial, or government use. For plastic specifically, lax regulations of commercial fishing trawlers puts more plastic (in the form of the nets that make up the core of the great garbage patches) into the oceans every year than direct consumer waste does in ten.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152754 on: August 06, 2020, 11:35:14 pm »

Considering that ocean fisheries are in steep decline, we could do with a great deal less fishing in general.

(Japan just wont have it though.)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #152755 on: August 06, 2020, 11:39:20 pm »

China's a bigger contributor - not only do they fish more in general, they've been caught destroying reefs to hurt competing countries' fisheries.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152758 on: August 07, 2020, 08:11:04 am »

This...why? Why did people think a joke about C. elegans is hurting a group of humans? It doesn’t make sense

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152759 on: August 07, 2020, 08:13:42 am »

Some people would be better off wiggling forward, wiggling backward, and occasionally fucking themselves instead of giving voice to their thoughts.

Or maybe at least pausing for a moment to consider whether what they’re about to say is a sensible thing to say.

Pages: 1 ... 10182 10183 [10184] 10185 10186 ... 10973