Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10184 10185 [10186] 10187 10188 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13000988 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #152775 on: August 07, 2020, 06:54:52 pm »

On the plus side you could go a few dozen miles inland and experience apocalyptic mad max wasteland without having to go to a movie theatre.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152776 on: August 07, 2020, 06:55:09 pm »

So if you write into a business specifically to call an employee there a racial slur, would you then expect service from that business?

I feel like no is the logical answer.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152777 on: August 07, 2020, 07:41:33 pm »

Only if you ignore all the wildlife that can kill you.

And the sun.

Go to Melbourne. No sun and no wildlife. We are having  Covid problem here though.

The most deadly animal in Australia is by far the horse (cause about 10 times as many deaths as anything else). Just avoid going near horses and that's 90% of your risk avoided.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 07:50:27 pm by Reelya »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152778 on: August 07, 2020, 07:49:28 pm »

I'm trying to solve a mystery at work today.

So, I work parking at a big museum.  The only (public) entrance/exit is at the end of basically a 4 lane highway, two parallel two lane roads.  Entering requires passing through an automated ticket dispenser, take a ticket and the traffic arm lifts.  Now, this road forks.  Right takes you directly to the front of the building, for pickup and drop off.  It loops back to the main exit road which leads to the exit.  Left takes you to the exit road in the opposite direction (its also a double road, like the highway to get there) so you pass the actual parking lot, the RV area, and eventually a closed security gate to what is actually the employee enter/exit road.  I'm manning a booth at the exit, to collect parking payment among other things.  More importantly to this particular event, the museum itself is visible from the entrance, as its basically a giant aircraft hanger with a tower off to the side.  The tower's visible anywhere a customer could reasonably be on the museum grounds.

Anyways, I get a confused customer at the exit.  She has no idea what the parking ticket even is, and is confusing it with the new ticket you get online to actually enter the building so we have a head count for the bubonic plague outside.  Either way I just process it as a lost ticket and take the cash.  Then she asks me, "What do I do now?"

Since I man the exit, I basically tell her that I don't understand the question ("I dunno, go home?").  She's like "where's the museum?"  So I had to explain how she's at the exit of the museum, the museum is that big building behind her, and thus how to turn around up the road and re-enter.

I'm trying to figure out how this occurred.  She'd have to enter, through a toll gate essentially, take the left on the fork, then immediately make a U-turn and head in the opposite direction to the exit that connects to the other side of the highway you were just on.  While doing this you must ignore the giant white, very uniquely designed building the road seemingly leads to, and the giant parking lot in front of it.  This is actually the second time since we re-opened like two weeks ago.  Did they put something in the water supply or something?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152779 on: August 07, 2020, 07:52:43 pm »

Maybe she tailgated through behind someone else, and for whatever reason she didn't process the big building as a museum. Maybe she expected something more musuem-y and not a big hanger-looking thing. She might be a big vague, since she's obviously gone through behind someone else and not realized you're meant to stop for a ticket.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 07:54:55 pm by Reelya »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152780 on: August 07, 2020, 08:22:50 pm »

I mean suuuure but its a big hanger for a reason.  It has planes in it.

Moreover since you need a ticket, that you get online, surely the webpage has a picture of the building on it.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152781 on: August 07, 2020, 08:27:33 pm »

Maybe she thought the hanger was part of it, but there was a main museum building.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #152782 on: August 08, 2020, 12:00:38 am »

Many people would be nervous if random people could find their address. Amusingly, they probably can regardless in a majority of cases. Why? Property tax information is public information, and often of course will include your residence. For Alabama and Mississippi I know it's searchable, and I assume other states provide similar services.

I found out all this today, and have spent the evening finding out my friends' addresses, a moot pursuit and non-creepy, since I know them already, but still interesting.

WTF as I was surprised at this glut of information, given people are naturally disinclined to give out their addresses, but it turns out their care may be moot.

Also since I don't think we have a "part of me thinks that's cool but also that's mildly creepy" thread.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 12:05:47 am by Eschar »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152783 on: August 08, 2020, 12:25:24 am »

with the way Facebook n co hold info on basically everyone, apparently the path to acquiring people's personal information is just to ask them nicely.  Or sell them a smartphone.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #152784 on: August 08, 2020, 12:40:15 am »

Right, but individuals don't have the resources of a company to acquire personal info. Which is why the property tax route I mentioned goes in this thread.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152785 on: August 08, 2020, 04:31:38 am »

with the way Facebook n co hold info on basically everyone, apparently the path to acquiring people's personal information is just to ask them nicely.  Or sell them a smartphone.

Giving over your information is actually the price people are willing to pay for the service. Willing in the sense that most people are aware that Facebook collects your information yet they still use Facebook. So it's nothing like just asking nicely, it's giving people toys (or a needed communication channel for some), and saying that if you don't abide by the rules (which implicitly include the data collection) then you can't play with their toys anymore.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #152786 on: August 08, 2020, 06:44:41 am »

It’s that kind of thing that makes me wonder why people still think conspiracies that the government want to implant chips in people to track them hold any water. Smartphones all have GPS, and private companies have your information and the ability to analyze it to know a great deal of shit about you.

Through myy phone, Apple knows where I work and live, how often I go shopping and any other number of things because I have it with me a lot. Google knows what games I play, what I’m interested in generally and most recently. Facebook knows who my immediate and extended family are, who I went to school with, where I went to school and the area where I grew up.

The government legitimately don’t need to do anything to track me or influence me; pay the companies some fees and they can target ads directly at me. All this conspiracy bullshit is way too much effort when they can pay someone else to do it for them.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #152787 on: August 08, 2020, 07:39:40 am »

And if they implanted their super chips into you they'd know all of that, but more securely, because you can put away your phone but you can put away your shoulder blade
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152788 on: August 08, 2020, 07:52:39 am »

Being able to put your phone away is literally a privilege now.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #152789 on: August 08, 2020, 08:03:15 am »

That's irrelevant. Whether a simple choice or a privilege the super chip removes the option for everyone.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 10184 10185 [10186] 10187 10188 ... 10974