Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10185 10186 [10187] 10188 10189 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12998250 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #152790 on: August 08, 2020, 08:09:55 am »

Tinfoil clothes will become the new fashion!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #152791 on: August 08, 2020, 08:13:06 am »

But do I put the dull side in our out?!?
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152792 on: August 08, 2020, 08:17:36 am »

I don’t know!

Wait!

Two layers!

One with the shiny side out, the other with the dull side out!

Foolproof!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #152793 on: August 08, 2020, 08:20:10 am »

Yeah, that whole data-mining situation just makes me glad I never bothered with social media and still use a burner flip-phone. Doesn't make a huge difference, but it's something.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152794 on: August 08, 2020, 08:23:20 am »

I don’t know!

Wait!

Two layers!

One with the shiny side out, the other with the dull side out!

Foolproof!

Better idea!

Quantum tinfoil!

It’s shiny and dull at the same time!

Yeah, that whole data-mining situation just makes me glad I never bothered with social media and still use a burner flip-phone. Doesn't make a huge difference, but it's something.

I would probably not have Facebook if I didn’t live on a different continent from the rest of my family.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #152795 on: August 08, 2020, 08:47:29 am »

At least Toady isn't mining our forum posts for nefarious purposes.

Right?

Of course forums are a bit resistant to that because there are less structured ways of indicating locations, relationships etc. For example a Facebook post has fields for location, as do profile pages. You can like posts etc. allowing Facebook to analyze how much you interact (sorta) with people you might know. Same with Facebook friends. The forum has less such fields, many people don't put their location in the location field - or at least not their address like on FB - and so the majority of data would have to be extracted from the text of posts themselves, with some sort of NLP. And that's an entirely different kettle of programming worms, one that Toady and the SMF people simply have no interest in... as far as I know.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 09:00:23 am by Eschar »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #152796 on: August 08, 2020, 08:50:32 am »

-snip-
You can pretty much expect your ISP to be strip mining your activity here, though, given the lack of HTTPS.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #152797 on: August 08, 2020, 08:59:45 am »

-snip-
You can pretty much expect your ISP to be strip mining your activity here, though, given the lack of HTTPS.

Hadn't thought of that.

E.g. looking for keywords (place names, brand names, activities) to sell to advertisers?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #152798 on: August 08, 2020, 09:34:38 am »

A laptop that I thought I killed by a RAM upgrade is now alive? What the hell did I do right this time? I just took out and inspected the motherboard for the nth time, and now it decides to start working again?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152799 on: August 08, 2020, 09:39:13 am »

Welcome to computer maintenance!

My computer that I built about 5 years ago (not that fantastic, I know where to put things when I read where to put them) used to not POST, then it POST’d infrequently, and stalled when Windows booted, then it POST’d all the time, and infrequently stalled when Windows booted, then never POST’d when I turned it on but always when I switched it off and on again while infrequently stalling when Windows booted, and now it starts good all the time.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152800 on: August 08, 2020, 01:11:44 pm »

Many people would be nervous if random people could find their address. Amusingly, they probably can regardless in a majority of cases. Why? Property tax information is public information, and often of course will include your residence. For Alabama and Mississippi I know it's searchable, and I assume other states provide similar services.

I found out all this today, and have spent the evening finding out my friends' addresses, a moot pursuit and non-creepy, since I know them already, but still interesting.

WTF as I was surprised at this glut of information, given people are naturally disinclined to give out their addresses, but it turns out their care may be moot.

Also since I don't think we have a "part of me thinks that's cool but also that's mildly creepy" thread.

Sites like this were a bit scary 2 decades ago, and that's just the information they give away for free.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #152801 on: August 08, 2020, 03:06:48 pm »

Yep, even just information on the public record can be fairly substantial if it's aggregated. One of the databases my work subscribes to essentially collects data on every U.S. citizen and business from legal public sources, compiles it, and layers on a few analytic tools like business heatmap distributions (i.e. see where the gas stations are clustered in City X and thus where might be a good location for a new one). It has a record for every U.S. citizen with name, gender, DOB, relationship status, address, duration of residence at that address, lat/long coordinates of that address, estimated personal and household income, census information for that address, lifestyle interest listings (purchasing behavior, technology/entertainment use habits, travel interests, recreational activities, &c.), and an embedded google map of the address.

3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #152802 on: August 08, 2020, 03:13:34 pm »

It wasn't very long ago that you got a thick book delivered free that had addresses abf phone numbers for everyone in your city.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152803 on: August 08, 2020, 03:17:55 pm »

IIRC you could sometimes buy reverse phonebooks which let you look up the name associated with a number.  Sure that information was already in the free phonebook... technically...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #152804 on: August 08, 2020, 07:53:04 pm »

It wasn't very long ago that you got a thick book delivered free that had addresses abf phone numbers for everyone in your city.
"Sarah Connor?"

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 10185 10186 [10187] 10188 10189 ... 10973