Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10245 10246 [10247] 10248 10249 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13167649 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153690 on: September 24, 2020, 08:19:57 am »

uBlock Origin + Ghostery = I don't see ads. I don't even get ads on Spotify unless it's on my phone or my Playstation. I don't watch tv at all, don't even have service. (Sometimes I watch bootleg sports streams, but those are 99% ad-free anyway.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #153691 on: September 24, 2020, 08:35:17 am »

I've said this before, but uBlock Origin can get even more powerful if you look at its dashboard (uBlock Origin button > the button with 3 sliders) and go to "Filter Lists". There you can enable even more filter lists to filter out stuff like social media buttons, malware domains (quite useful if you go on "certain" websites) and annoyances (the ones that annoy you for having adblock on). You do this at the cost of increased CPU and RAM usage, but it's a reasonable sacrifice to make if your PC is at least vaguely competent.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153692 on: September 24, 2020, 08:55:33 am »

I also strongly recommend clicking the "I am an advanced user" checkbox, which enables a sort of stripped-down version of the interface of the developer's other addon, uMatrix. This lets you select individual components to block on specific domains.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #153693 on: September 24, 2020, 09:14:29 am »

I've said this before, but uBlock Origin can get even more powerful if you look at its dashboard (uBlock Origin button > the button with 3 sliders) and go to "Filter Lists". There you can enable even more filter lists to filter out stuff like social media buttons, malware domains (quite useful if you go on "certain" websites) and annoyances (the ones that annoy you for having adblock on). You do this at the cost of increased CPU and RAM usage, but it's a reasonable sacrifice to make if your PC is at least vaguely competent.

Does this increased usage multiply with amount of tabs because I really need to be able to have hundreds of tabs open for some reason
Love, scriver~

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153694 on: September 24, 2020, 09:17:51 am »

Does this increased usage multiply with amount of tabs because I really need to be able to have hundreds of tabs open for some reason
It's multiplied by the number of connections that need to be referenced against the list, so, if those tabs are all actively running JS downloads, it might, but tabs that aren't doing anything shouldn't be a problem.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #153695 on: September 24, 2020, 09:19:02 am »

have you heard of this cool new invention called bookmarks
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153696 on: September 24, 2020, 09:20:00 am »

have you heard of this cool new invention called bookmarks
Bookmarks are for things you want to go back to later. Open tabs are for things you only care about reading once, but not now.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153697 on: September 24, 2020, 09:22:06 am »

It's a legitimate use case!  I'm still just using Adblock Plus which seems to work fine with my, let's see... 70+62+38+337 tabs.  Leaving tabs "open" and periodically restarting Firefox so they're suspended is just easier than messing around with hundreds of bookmarks.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #153698 on: September 24, 2020, 09:25:25 am »

I have one or two of those at a time, but if you've somehow accumulated hundreds of them you should either get to organizing them or forgetting them because you're clearly gaining things to read faster than you can read them and thus will never get to them all. At least if you bookmark them all in a "read this once" folder they won't eat up memory.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #153699 on: September 24, 2020, 09:28:47 am »

Bookmarks are for things you want to remember but are going to forget about
Love, scriver~

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153700 on: September 24, 2020, 11:48:04 am »

I just installed AdBlock. Let's see, if it works.
Also, I have 23 tabs running right now.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153701 on: September 24, 2020, 12:47:12 pm »

noscript is honestly my primary adblock tool.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #153702 on: September 24, 2020, 01:14:24 pm »

I have over a hundred (opera's counter runs out at 99 so it just reads [...] now) just on my tablet. There's more on the laptop proper. Think another few dozen between the two browsers I use at work. If you count the hibernating laptop I use as a mousepad, its old opera session still has two or three hundred open, iirc. Keep going, you'll get there eventually :V

Rol's got the right idea, really.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153703 on: September 24, 2020, 01:18:58 pm »

For some reason I keep seeing adds for purchasing knighthoods from Sealand on Facebook.  ???

It's weird to be scrolling through miniature hobby and exotic pet related stuff and suddenly have a tacky add for titles from a non-country pop up.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153704 on: September 24, 2020, 02:38:21 pm »

I have over a hundred (opera's counter runs out at 99 so it just reads [...] now) just on my tablet. There's more on the laptop proper. Think another few dozen between the two browsers I use at work. If you count the hibernating laptop I use as a mousepad, its old opera session still has two or three hundred open, iirc. Keep going, you'll get there eventually :V

Rol's got the right idea, really.
I don't think I will get to hundreds. I clear or reuse non-relevant tabs from time to time.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.
Pages: 1 ... 10245 10246 [10247] 10248 10249 ... 10983