Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10272 10273 [10274] 10275 10276 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12996660 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #154095 on: October 22, 2020, 08:27:37 am »

Curry powder is also great in coffee.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154096 on: October 22, 2020, 08:48:38 am »

Better or less good than cinnamon and a little chili powder?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #154097 on: October 22, 2020, 09:04:48 am »

Powdered egg is indeed a special commodity, but you can sneak around your bank's "Minors cannot shop online" bullshit by getting a walmart money card, which processes like a visa, and which you can buy/reload at the register (for a premium).

I think I forgot to mention that I have no clue on if they'll let me deliver to the uni. I know for official documents, sure, that's allowed, but for a student's personal items..? I don't think they'll approve of it, even if it is food. Then again, I don't know. I've already asked the appropriate WhatsApp group for this, so now I'm just waiting on a response. I expect it sometime tomorrow when everyone's actually awake and not either already asleep or preparing for bedtime. That is, if they answer.

(Talking about tomorrow when you're on the other side of the world from the US (and similar timezones), which is where a decent proportion of y'all are, is probably confusing. It's daytime there, isn't it? It'll be night for you by the time morning comes for me. I'm not quite sure how to notate this in general when the timezones are this far apart. Maybe say "in x hours", but that's dependent on the time of the post, and it's too much precision. Or I could specify the time and timezone, but that's unwieldy. Dammit, timezones.)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154098 on: October 22, 2020, 09:15:02 am »

(Talking about tomorrow when you're on the other side of the world from the US (and similar timezones), which is where a decent proportion of y'all are, is probably confusing. It's daytime there, isn't it? It'll be night for you by the time morning comes for me. I'm not quite sure how to notate this in general when the timezones are this far apart. Maybe say "in x hours", but that's dependent on the time of the post, and it's too much precision. Or I could specify the time and timezone, but that's unwieldy. Dammit, timezones.)
It's not that hard. I'm in the latest US timezone and I should be exactly half a day around from you right now, if your claimed "GMT+8" holds true. It's just barely 10 for me. Anyone else in the continental US is up to four hours earlier (but really, who cares about them). The 12hr shift makes things actually quite simple.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154099 on: October 22, 2020, 03:17:45 pm »

RE: gender identity, this one came up for me as well a few months back when an internal office email popped up suggesting that good practice would be to include pronouns in email signature blocks. I realized that it didn't feel right putting in (he/him) or (they), so ultimately just didn't include anything. Was almost tempted to put in (whatever you want), but that'd probably come off as cheeky / combative.

Curry powder is just good in general. Maybe not in your cereal, but it works with all sorts of foods.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154100 on: October 22, 2020, 03:26:08 pm »

RE: gender identity, this one came up for me as well a few months back when an internal office email popped up suggesting that good practice would be to include pronouns in email signature blocks. I realized that it didn't feel right putting in (he/him) or (they), so ultimately just didn't include anything. Was almost tempted to put in (whatever you want), but that'd probably come off as cheeky / combative.
Yes.  That is absolutely fine.  A lot of NB people don't care about pronouns at all, or want to avoid the whole issue!
I'm fine avoiding the issue in person, but I appreciate all the people who uses they/them for me here online.  Thank you.
Curry powder is just good in general. Maybe not in your cereal, but it works with all sorts of foods.
Spicy breakfast is a power move I might not be ready for.  A flavor sensation hits so much harder when I've just woken up.  Just gib me the bland carbs. 
Maybe some yogurt to aid digestion, and/or some crunchy nuts to form complete proteins - thanks mom.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #154101 on: October 22, 2020, 05:04:56 pm »

Curry powder I got, at least, ain't really spicy in the tongue-burn sense. It has a bit of red and black pepper and some ginger, but that seems the sharpest stuff in it, eyeballing the ingredients. In practice there's basically no burn at all, t'me, and I'm pretty sensitive to hot-spicy food.

... not sure I'd put it on bland-carbs, though.* Like, probably a no on curry oatmeal (though mostly cause I just don't like oatmeal, ha). But eggs or whatever it should be fine with. This very thought has given me a sorta' intense urge to mix curry powder with cane syrup and see what it does to pancakes or waffles, tbh, since it apparently turns out it's not bad with sweet stuff, too.

*Or, well, it just hasn't been good on instant mashed potatoes, yet. Diced potatoes cooked up in a pressure cooker with curry powder turned out pretty great, and it's damn good on rice, but it's super meh on instant mash. So I'unno, maybe it'd do alright on oatmeal...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154103 on: October 22, 2020, 05:12:56 pm »

I like the occasional spicy breakfast. Hell, I could crack open a new can of refried beans and have some bean+rice burritos for breakfast right now. Or, you know another good one: avocado on toast, but with chili paste underneath the avo!   

For some reason, this actually doesn't sound unreasonable. I might have tried it once by accident?   
Or maybe I spilled tumeric or something in my coffee, only for that to turn out to actually be a thing. A thing people do, like, intentionally. Wild.   
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 05:15:24 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #154104 on: October 22, 2020, 05:18:06 pm »

Food-wise, I think I'm doing fine. I'm not starving, so that's a start. My selection of food is a bit odd for many reasons (including a limited selection of available food at the supermarket I went to), but I'll say it: instant ramen, baked beans, milk powder, crackers, peanut butter and apples. Will I suffer malnutrition due to a lack of vitamins and minerals given this limited set of food?

If available, potatoes and dairy gives all necessary protein and most of the vital vitamins/minerals. It would be a boring diet, but a good base to build your other food on.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154105 on: October 22, 2020, 11:36:41 pm »

Meanwhile today I have so far eaten 2 yogurts and 3 donuts.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154106 on: October 23, 2020, 12:32:15 am »

I take multivitamins and psyllium husk fiber supplement every day to supplement my diet of trash (Ramen, Macaroni, Pizza, Chicken Sandwiches, Fish Planks, and Spaghetti are the most overrepresented items) and whatever sugary things I happen to be craving that day.

I splurged on some baklava sweets recently, and the taste and texture are just sublime. Too bad they're so expensive.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 12:34:01 am by JoshuaFH »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #154107 on: October 23, 2020, 12:35:02 am »

Meanwhile today I have so far eaten 2 yogurts and 3 donuts.

I could eat sweet rolls my whole life. Yeah, that'd be fine by me.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #154108 on: October 23, 2020, 03:53:08 am »

I've already asked the appropriate WhatsApp group for this, so now I'm just waiting on a response. I expect it sometime tomorrow when everyone's actually awake and not either already asleep or preparing for bedtime. That is, if they answer.

No response from them. It's been a large enough portion of the day that I'm confident that they won't answer at this point. Or maybe everyone's just sleeping their asses off as the weekend rolls in.

Seeing as I appear to have no option at this point:

I take multivitamins and psyllium husk fiber supplement every day to supplement my diet of trash

See, now that's more my style. No need to deal with bureaucracy, no need to get a prepaid card to get around bank restrictions, no bullshit. There's a pharmacy within the general area, so I could go there and buy some multivitamins. What should I look for in a multivitamin?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154109 on: October 23, 2020, 06:19:25 am »

Centrum are very good, specially centrum silver 50+ since they have a higher concentration for older people, but perhaps that is too much.

There are pregnancy vitamins that give 100% or even more of the daily requirements of several vitamins, iron, folic acid and calcium. In theory one could take them without being pregnant or even being a woman since they are just vitamins and elements, but dont really know if you could take then for too long (see below).

There are also gummy vitamins wich are... funnier to eat I guess? Mostly for children or people of the third age but good for you nevertheless.

Just remember to not overdose on certain vitamins because that can happen, not like a drug overdose but it can have some ill effects on your health. Some vitamins like C are almost imposible for you to eat too much but others like D or A I think you should not take too much for long periods. Ask a doctor or check on the internet.

Pretty sure centrum and other multivitaminics have low doses of those vitamins that could hurt you if eaten too much so you can take the multivitaminic everyday for extended periods of time.

For starters I would recommend folic acid I think 200mg per day is the normal dosis and vitamin C 500mg per day, there are 1000mg capsules out there but unless you are a scurvy pirate (which would be awsome, the pirate part, not the scurv) you wont be able to metabolize all that.

Folic acid is esential on DNA replication, which is why is so important for pregnant woman since theres a lot of cell replication in their ovens. And for general cell functions on your own regular non pregnant body too!

Vitamin C helps the inmune system and all that crap.

Your parents are both medics, ask them!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 06:25:49 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 10272 10273 [10274] 10275 10276 ... 10973