Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10273 10274 [10275] 10276 10277 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13004901 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #154110 on: October 23, 2020, 06:53:10 am »

Just remember to not overdose on certain vitamins because that can happen, not like a drug overdose but it can have some ill effects on your health. Some vitamins like C are almost imposible for you to eat too much but others like D or A I think you should not take too much for long periods. Ask a doctor or check on the internet.

It's the vitamins A, D, E, and K that you can overdose on, if I remember my Biology lessons right. Those are fat-soluble, so they're eliminated from the body much more slowly than the water-soluble ones, hence the overdose potential. Water-soluble ones get eliminated through urine.

I can hear my Biology teacher telling me that the concept is there, but my terminology is incorrect, and that I'll lose marks answering like this, but those days have passed. God, she was anal-retentive about that. Not that she had a choice; the exams themselves were strict, she was just playing into the system.

Your parents are both medics, ask them!

I will. They probably know better, considering they themselves take, like, 10 different supplement pills a day. And they actually know their stuff, unlike me.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 07:05:35 am by methylatedspirit »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154111 on: October 23, 2020, 07:58:34 am »

I also remember from chemistry class that some of the vitamins are not in forms usable by the human body. Vitamin C is one of the major ones on this. There are 2 forms, and the non-human one is the more common, requiring an extra step to process to make it usable. An extra step is an extra cost, so most don't do it (but this is why there are sometimes 2 differnet containers, one with double the price for no apparent reason). Vitamin C won't help with a cold etc. unless you're borderline scruvy, so companies just sell you the cheaper useless version. So not only did Airborne kill a few people (in it's original formulation; they reduced the dosage after they got sued) with overdoses, it also does nothing of any value.

It's the vitamins A, D, E, and K that you can overdose on, if I remember my Biology lessons right. Those are fat-soluble, so they're eliminated from the body much more slowly than the water-soluble ones, hence the overdose potential. Water-soluble ones get eliminated through urine.

The ones you can easily overdose on, or can ovedose on over time. Taking too much at once so you see the effects before your body eliminates them can still be bad for you.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 08:02:47 am by Iduno »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154112 on: October 23, 2020, 10:24:20 am »

Dammit Microsoft.  Buying Zenimax.  Forcing people to have a Microsoft account to play Minecraft in 2021.  I really don't want my kids to have to start being profiled by yet another company.

I'm getting tired of all this crap - why can't things be simple any more? Why does everything need an account?  Anyone got a couple mbillion dollars so we can start an alternative?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #154113 on: October 23, 2020, 11:08:11 am »

arr
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #154114 on: October 23, 2020, 11:45:43 am »

Yeah, I guess "The dose makes the poison" holds true for that as well. Overdosing on vitamin C is mighty hard though.

Tbh I'm thinking the reason for vitamin D and A overdoses is not just their slower elimination: there are high strenght formulations for both and are used quite often.  Multivitamins have so small amounts of the stuff that you'd have to try to OD on purpose.

That being said there were some (inconclusive) studies showing a link between multivitamin use and morbidity. So maybe consider a less trashy diet instead
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154115 on: October 23, 2020, 11:47:17 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:34:29 am by dragdeler »
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154116 on: October 23, 2020, 06:07:35 pm »

I have complaining about that for years, why in the name of Sauron does everything have to be online now?????!!!!! Everything is going into accounts, sucriptions and a boatload of shit you cannot believe. And is not even for the top notch stuff, because there is not even topnoch stuff anymore everything has some suker honeypot preorder crap with day one patches sometimes bigger than the original software and that is for the ones that actually care about a day one patch and not like year one or never one.

Now, you have to pay for software that is not finished ON MONTHLY BASIS?!!!! FUCK. THAT.

Being a digital scurvy pegleged individual sure seems luring sometimes.

Thankfully I avoid most of this by:
- Being perpetualy poor like straigth from tv tropes or the sadest cartoon you can watch. So no buying digital ones and zeros for lordbaal.

- The prevuous point in turn prevents me for owning hardware capabe of running anything modern. I think the most recent piece of software (firefox, vcl and other assorted little stuff not withstanding) I have even ran on my old pc was Shogun 2 total war, with extra low setting and still heavy lag.

- I stick to old software like the grumppy old man I have been since my childhood. Office 2007 is my rock. The OS I own are originals from the time I actually could buy two OEM keys on a sale from the company I worked for and they upgraded to windows 10pro almost by themselves. I positively could not afford to buy windows 10 now.

- Lastly the exchange rate control our glorious regimme stablished like 17 years agoo ensures that even if I could, I cannot buy anything overseas unless I have some familiar or something outside with the money to go trough a complicated exchange of money.

What I was saying??? Ah yeah! Keep out of my lawn you online milenials!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154117 on: October 23, 2020, 07:30:47 pm »

My sleep got torpedoed last night.   
Woke up early this morning, at a little before a quarter past four, went and took a leak, drank some cold water, but still I felt uncomfortable. I'm thinking maybe my pyjamas are too hot, I kick off all the blankets, maybe it's a full moon on this weird foggy morning that's making me mildly crazy, I wonder if I've got a very slight, imperceptible headache, all sorts of things, then finally it begins to dawn on me: I gotta take a dump.   
Bit unexpected, since it was rather soon since my last one - I think it may have been the probiotic capsules that were foisted on me yesterday, after me not having taken any in ages (been trying to eat probiotic-rich foods instead). My dookie was pretty weird, too, but that's not the point so I won't go into details.   

Soon enough, I'm back in bed and... well, after some stuffing around on the internet I finally manage to get back to sleep. Cue some very restless sleep, wracked with wacky dreams that I sadly do not remember now, as each dreaming sesh would be rudely interrupted by my alarms going off. Yes, alarms.   
Somehow, I'm pretty sure I snoozed said alarms, then went right back to sleep - dreaming, even! - before being woken again when they finished snoozing. I don't know how that's even possible, pretty sure they snooze for like, five or ten minutes. Then, when I finally woke up once more, the alarm reads '10am' and the time in big letters on my other alarm-phone says 'something past 11'.   
That makes sense, right, since alarms generally show the time they were originally set for, and I'm feeling like I slept in BIG TIME. But then, I look again, and the time on the first phone is actually saying ten. Wait, what? I get up and shuffle over to waken my laptop and check which of them is wrong, and amazingly enough it was in fact just shortly after ten.   

I don't know how tf I managed to wrong-ify the time on one phone to the point that they're an hour apart. It is a pretty derpy friggin' phone, one of those cheap-but-overpriced ones the truly desperate might buy from the checkout at a supermarket. Quite possibly the worst cheap-ass phone I've ever had, with its gigantic icons and ridiculously sensitive buttons. That sensitivity could explain a lot of things, but accidentally changing the time? Whoa.   

So, anyway, looks like the first alarm was actually waking me up an hour earlier than intended. Maybe I didn't actually hit the snooze button after all.   
Though I still thought I woke up more than twice...   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #154118 on: October 23, 2020, 07:45:10 pm »

Do your phones do any weird daylight savings automatic change nonsense?

Assuming Oz does daylight savings...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #154119 on: October 23, 2020, 07:46:55 pm »

This site doesnt, but some sites are weird about it.  But no.  my doesnt.  I R is too not smart to figure it out, so iphone does it for me.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154120 on: October 23, 2020, 07:51:14 pm »

Thanfully we dont have any ligthsaving crap here. While we do have some shifthing on the sunrise and set, being so close to the equador means is not really meaningful.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #154121 on: October 23, 2020, 08:10:24 pm »

- I stick to old software like the grumppy old man I have been since my childhood. Office 2007 is my rock. The OS I own are originals from the time I actually could buy two OEM keys on a sale from the company I worked for and they upgraded to windows 10pro almost by themselves. I positively could not afford to buy windows 10 now.
You can actually get windows pretty cheap from (sketchy) third party resalers who just use keys others got from Microsoft for super cheap to stick on machines they are making then resold to a different vendor anonymously when they didn't need them but aren't supposed to resell them. Technically this is illegal for them to do and makes Microsoft sad, but screw them and their monopoly.

Of course some of those copies come from criminals just buying them with stolen credit card data then reselling them, which is kinda a bad thing to be supporting at all.

Either way you can still get a legit copy of windows legally (for you) for under 30 bucks (35 if you get the "don't rip me off its fake and doesn't work guarantee"), which is actually a pretty good price.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154122 on: October 23, 2020, 08:21:19 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:34:11 am by dragdeler »
let

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154123 on: October 23, 2020, 08:38:13 pm »

Woke up this morning.

Turned to my right.

Stairs are covered in brown piles.

What the hell is this.

Look closer.

My son had gotten up and snuck out early.

He had gone downstairs and pulled every bit of stuffing out of a couch pillow and had some sort of flinging party.

Couch stuffing stretched from the stop of my stairs down through our living room to the kitchen.

Highly amusing. He was made to clean it up, however.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154124 on: October 23, 2020, 08:41:53 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:34:15 am by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 10273 10274 [10275] 10276 10277 ... 10974