Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10275 10276 [10277] 10278 10279 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13002961 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #154140 on: October 24, 2020, 07:18:57 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:33:59 am by dragdeler »
let

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #154141 on: October 24, 2020, 07:27:35 am »

Gave her the ol' dickboard, ey?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154142 on: October 24, 2020, 09:53:11 am »

Picked up me trusty phone to check some article on the Wiki. Battery is nearly at full charge. Finished reading a couple minutes later - battery at 13%. Turned off data transfer and closed all aps - the phone kept losing charge until it turned off within seconds. What.
Another thing that could have happened is that the voltage was reduced by cold.
It is unlikely, since people's pants are generaly not cold places. But if it was very cold where you were, the battery could cool down and lose voltage that way.
It would not really lose charge, but would be unable to provide sufficient voltage.

That once happened with a tablet I was using. However, I was keeping it in a bag and was hiking across a mountain in the winter, so those were quite extreme circumstances.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154143 on: October 24, 2020, 02:41:46 pm »

If those paranormal shows are correct it could also be a ghost trying to get some energy to communicate.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #154144 on: October 24, 2020, 10:42:09 pm »

I was looking at a checkerboard pattern to test if there's any downscaling method that can reverse the 125% scaling on screenshots due to my settings. There are none that will give back the original. I conclude that non-integer scaling is the devil.

I appear to have stumbled across an optical illusion in the process, at least for me. It's sensitive to viewing distance, and I'm not sure if it works on anything that isn't exactly my laptop's monitor paired with my eyes. It should look like the horizontal borders between "white" and "black" (light grey and dark grey, actually) are curving up and down slightly.  If I turn off the grid, the illusion disappears.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154145 on: October 24, 2020, 10:54:03 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:34:03 am by dragdeler »
let

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #154146 on: October 24, 2020, 11:19:26 pm »

why would you scale them in the first are you using the software as some kind of magnifying glass before saving? it gets never boring with you dooes it  :D

Windows 10 scaling, man. For readability, smaller screens (less than 17" for 1080p?) will automatically scale everything up by some amount. In my case (1080p, 15.6"), it defaults to 125% scaling. I prefer it like this; 100% scaling is barely readable for me with my glasses on.

The odd thing is that if you use Print Screen to screenshot (which I just prefer over Snipping Tool because I can go in and do pixel-perfect cropping), it scales it up from 1536 × 864 (1080p divided by 1.25) to 1920 × 1080, with all the blur that results from such a scaling. Things that look real sharp on my end look a bit blurry once I get the screenshot. This is why I put the width parameter in the [img] tag in screenshots to prevent scaling from screwing things up.

What I was testing is if there's any resampling method that would take this blurred 125% scaled image, then produces a perfect reproduction of the original at 100% scaling. There is none, as I said. I was using a checkerboard (1 pixel tall, 2 pixel wide) because that was an easy thing to work with. Here's the one I was using, for reference.

I copied the original, and I did a screenshot. That optical illusion came to me when I downscaled the screenshot down to its original size using Lanczos resampling, and zoomed in on it with Paint.net. I realized that the grid lines didn't look quite straight despite them being very straight.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154147 on: October 24, 2020, 11:30:52 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:34:07 am by dragdeler »
let

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #154148 on: October 27, 2020, 03:33:21 am »

I saw this motivational thing on a slide for my Calculus class: "Math teaches that there is every reason to believe that every problem has a solution". I call bullshit, and I cite Godel's First Incompleteness Theorem: "No consistent system of axioms whose theorems can be listed by an effective procedure (i.e., an algorithm) is capable of proving all truths about the arithmetic of natural numbers." Even something as simple as the natural numbers with addition and multiplication (the Peano axioms) has statements within it which cannot be proven to be either true or false.

There exist problems that cannot ever have solutions, even within the idealistic confines of math. Get out of here with your motivational bullshit.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154149 on: October 27, 2020, 04:08:32 am »

log (-1)
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #154150 on: October 27, 2020, 10:56:51 am »

log (-1)

Apparently the answer is iπ/ln(10), or ~1.364i.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154151 on: October 27, 2020, 11:01:44 am »

I really did not expect imaginary numbers in the exponent. But yeah, according to google, 10^1.3641i is indeed almost -1.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #154152 on: October 30, 2020, 07:48:58 pm »

My mother just learned she's allergic to onions, garlic, avocados, lemons, and oranges via allergy skin tests. Not allergic to limes, apparently.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154153 on: October 30, 2020, 08:30:04 pm »

My mother just learned she's allergic to onions, garlic, avocados, lemons, and oranges via allergy skin tests. Not allergic to limes, apparently.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Did she neevr eat one of those in her life?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #154154 on: October 30, 2020, 10:19:17 pm »

Maybe just mildly allergic or somethin', it's friggin' hard to avoid onion or garlic in most culinary traditions I'm aware of.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 10275 10276 [10277] 10278 10279 ... 10974