Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10326 10327 [10328] 10329 10330 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13140967 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #154905 on: December 29, 2020, 06:56:48 am »

Is blue an offspring of a crow and another corvid? Is there not another way to get her back than dropping her by cutting things under her, or climbing to her? A net perhaps?

Anyway, I hope you don't have a serious concussion.

she is a chicken raised by ducks and one of the most confused creatures i have met. she sings for raspberries, she has a beard, she thinks that she can fly. her godfather is a moustachio'd cat, whose omen led to her eventual hatching (and a screaming at the window).

Spoiler: she just weird. (click to show/hide)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #154906 on: December 29, 2020, 07:22:21 am »

She also cool tho

Great pic.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154907 on: December 29, 2020, 08:21:42 am »

So I did a little experiment today. Testing whether powdered coal and 3% H2O2 will react explosively. (They will not)

When I was cleaning up, a bit of the liquid got on my fingers. Since it did not immediately burn, I thought the peroxide may have expired.

After a while, I noticed parts of the skin on my fingers have been painted white. So the peroxide had not expired.
A minute later, the affected skin started going stiff, so I became worried. Tried searching the internet, found nothing. So I used the ancient anti-wrinkle cream we use to clean off oil-soluable paints for its intended purpose - treating skin.
It worked. It itched for a while, and the whiting receded.

My guess is, that the peroxide seeped into the skin and was doing damage there, but the cream neutralised it.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #154908 on: December 29, 2020, 08:41:42 am »

What were you going for, anyway? What was the basic idea of the reaction; its reactants and products? I'm guessing something involving CO2 and H2O as the products.

I dunno, amorphous carbon (which I believe is the allotrope that coal is) just doesn't strike me as particularly reactive, so if there is theoretically a reaction between C and H2O2, the activation energy you'd need to trigger that reaction would be... high. The surface area from it being powdered would improve its rate of reaction, but it won't help you if the reaction doesn't happen in the first place. I guess the reaction's exothermic? H2O2 doesn't really like being H2O2, and will react to not be that, given suitable things to react with, if my understanding is right. I suppose the explosion part's feasible.

Then again, my chemistry knowledge is high-school-level, and I'm not taking anything related to Chemistry right now. I'm sure you have a good explanation.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #154909 on: December 29, 2020, 09:13:20 am »

I just realized that tomorrow's my birthday, and I have absolutely nothing planned for the occasion. I don't know what to say. My parents have given me a decent budget, and I think at least one of my friends is willing to help me out here, but it's been stuffed so far back in the back of my mind that I only noticed because I read the current date and time on my laptop. I have so many other things I could and should be doing that I completely forgot about it. Eh, I guess I'll post in the Happy thread with the classic cake GIF, since that takes very little effort on my part.

Good lord, this uncaring and forgetful attitude towards celebrations is probably gonna bite me in the ass some day. My parents are surprised if I remember any of my family member's birthdays, that's how bad it is.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #154910 on: December 29, 2020, 09:43:25 am »

Happy Almost Birthday, Friend!

Would you like a candle I have from christmas?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #154911 on: December 29, 2020, 09:47:53 am »

Would you like a candle I have from christmas?
Sure.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154912 on: December 29, 2020, 10:04:43 am »

What were you going for, anyway? What was the basic idea of the reaction; its reactants and products? I'm guessing something involving CO2 and H2O as the products.

I dunno, amorphous carbon (which I believe is the allotrope that coal is) just doesn't strike me as particularly reactive, so if there is theoretically a reaction between C and H2O2, the activation energy you'd need to trigger that reaction would be... high. The surface area from it being powdered would improve its rate of reaction, but it won't help you if the reaction doesn't happen in the first place. I guess the reaction's exothermic? H2O2 doesn't really like being H2O2, and will react to not be that, given suitable things to react with, if my understanding is right. I suppose the explosion part's feasible.

Then again, my chemistry knowledge is high-school-level, and I'm not taking anything related to Chemistry right now. I'm sure you have a good explanation.

H2O2 easily decays:
H2O2 -> H2O + O*
2 O* -> O2

The idea was, that the radical oxygen would react with the coal rather than itself, in C + O* -> CO (and then hopefuly CO + O*->CO2), producing heat. This heat would trigger more peroxide to decay, releasing more radical oxygen, relasing more heat and gas, etc.. But the bottle did not even heat up.

I know 30% hydrogen peroxide and hypermanganese react explosively, with the gas being steam.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154913 on: December 29, 2020, 10:34:50 am »

...what is hypermanganese?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #154914 on: December 29, 2020, 11:03:32 am »

People from Hypermangan of course
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154915 on: December 29, 2020, 11:05:29 am »

Putting it in Google showed a genetic disorder, and manganese toxicity

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #154916 on: December 29, 2020, 11:31:01 am »

H2O2 easily decays:
H2O2 -> H2O + O*
2 O* -> O2

The idea was, that the radical oxygen would react with the coal rather than itself, in C + O* -> CO (and then hopefuly CO + O*->CO2), producing heat. This heat would trigger more peroxide to decay, releasing more radical oxygen, relasing more heat and gas, etc.. But the bottle did not even heat up.

I know 30% hydrogen peroxide and hypermanganese react explosively, with the gas being steam.

Someone’s trying to recreate the v2 program :P
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154917 on: December 29, 2020, 11:53:57 am »

Um... I don't think (3%) peroxide should sting unless there's an open wound. It's in fact one of the things you can put on a wound and it can spill over to surrounding skin. It shouldn't make skin go white or stiff. Are you sure that was 3% concentration?

Also what you were trying to do there was essentially ignite the carbon with the oxygen from the H2O2. So you probably need more starting energy for that.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 11:56:34 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #154918 on: December 29, 2020, 05:57:28 pm »

Saw something I've never seen before, today.

Was putting a book into the system, and, well. I noticed it was signed by the author!

Sorta'.

See, what they had done was signed one of those stick on plaque things -- basically a fancy oversized mailing label -- and then stuck that to the book. They didn't actually sign the book itself. They signed a peel off label and stuck the label to the title page.

In the couple years I've been working at the library, handling several dozen signed books and probably a few thousand books overall, and decades I've been voraciously reading, I've never seen this before. Not once.

It's a novel experience, and a heck of a wtf because, just. There's so much wrong with it :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #154919 on: December 29, 2020, 06:02:24 pm »

I'd give good odds that that's not a genuine signature. Only reason I can think of to do that would be so you could print off a sheet of the things.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 10326 10327 [10328] 10329 10330 ... 10980