Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10359 10360 [10361] 10362 10363 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13144324 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155400 on: January 26, 2021, 08:52:15 am »

I... wait.. what?? Do not put alcohol directly on your colon, its dangerous.
Yeah, people get hospitalized or killed by it occasionally.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #155401 on: January 26, 2021, 09:02:14 am »

And then they earn Darwin Awards! Just like that one fellow who got found by his wife out in the garage, with his pants around his ankles and a bottle of Stoli up his butt.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155402 on: January 26, 2021, 10:47:34 am »

I was editing a presentation that I was a part of, and...

That is my part. Yes, that ungodly amount of cuts is needed to have my part remain at least vaguely tolerable. This was basically the first try, and boy, it shows. Jesus. Also, I speak... it's not quite doctor's handwriting, but it's definitely a dialect. I spoke like my handwriting when I'm trying to copy notes off a whiteboard. I feel sorry for my lecturer, who has to sit through this.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 11:01:01 am by methylatedspirit »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #155403 on: January 26, 2021, 11:41:15 am »

I've heard you could pour booze into your butt and somehow get drunk.

The thing is, the colon is amazing at absorbing anything you put into it. It's a legit method of drug administration. Some drugs just get broken down to useless garbage during digestion if you swallow them, so the colon is often a viable backup route for those drugs. At least, that's what Wikipedia tells me.

But no, I'm not gonna give myself an Everclear Enema to get drunk. Not that I'd touch the stuff in the first place, either.

Which raises an interesting question: why? What evolutionary advantage does a super absorbent colon give us? Water retention?
This is a blank sig.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155404 on: January 26, 2021, 11:57:01 am »

A backup way to get drunk/high as you see.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #155405 on: January 26, 2021, 12:03:05 pm »

I've heard you could pour booze into your butt and somehow get drunk.

The thing is, the colon is amazing at absorbing anything you put into it. It's a legit method of drug administration. Some drugs just get broken down to useless garbage during digestion if you swallow them, so the colon is often a viable backup route for those drugs. At least, that's what Wikipedia tells me.

But no, I'm not gonna give myself an Everclear Enema to get drunk. Not that I'd touch the stuff in the first place, either.

Which raises an interesting question: why? What evolutionary advantage does a super absorbent colon give us? Water retention?

Well, technically yes... But also everything else as well. It's part of your digestive tract. The stomach doesn't absorb anything, it just melts everything coming in until it becomes a nice mushy slurp, which then gets passed on into the intestines where it's further processed by bacteria (gut flora) and all the necessary nutrients and moisture get absorbed from it.

As the mush passes through the various stages of intestine, its makeup gets changed by the bacterial presence breaking it down into different things, so we need to be able to absorb different things at different times as it gets worked on.

Getting the final drops out of the nutrient mush as it's on its way through is useful both in terms of water/nutrition intake, and also for making sure that the final waste has an appropriate amount of moisture in it and isn't just runny diarrhea, which would be much more of a health risk due to it getting stuck on everything and spreading around.

There's probably also some sort of interaction between plant vs. animal matter getting processed and how quickly it's supposed to get passed out of the system, as humans have generally much longer intestinal tracts than obligate carnivores, but I really do not know enough about any of this to be able to provide more than pure speculation.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #155406 on: January 26, 2021, 12:03:36 pm »

Digestion doesn't stop in the stomach. In fact, most nutrients from our food are absorbed into the body in the colon, not in the stomach. So it makes sense it's super absorbent.

EDIT: ninja'd

EDIT2: All carnivores have 2 meters of colon, all plant eters / omnivores have 7 meters. Carnivores need to be able to digest meat fast and excrete the rest. Meat doesn't stop rotting and spoiling after eating it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 12:07:04 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #155407 on: January 26, 2021, 12:47:31 pm »

This is a combination WTF/"things that made you laugh", but Steam's released the results for December 2020's best-selling games.

And...

...uh...

...those poor bastards.

Just look at the list. Second title from the bottom (before the free titles). This is peak Steam content.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155408 on: January 26, 2021, 01:00:41 pm »

where are you looking? I can only find weekly sales.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #155410 on: January 26, 2021, 01:14:35 pm »

Futa Fix Dick Dine and Dash. Ouch.  :o

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #155411 on: January 26, 2021, 01:16:05 pm »

It is terrifying
Love, scriver~

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #155412 on: January 26, 2021, 01:17:00 pm »

Spoiler: long old quotewall (click to show/hide)

Science fair idea: which animal has the most absorbent colon.
This is a blank sig.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155413 on: January 26, 2021, 01:43:28 pm »

My hypothesis would be some sort of desert animal.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #155414 on: January 26, 2021, 02:08:04 pm »

Futa Fix Dick Dine and Dash. Ouch.  :o
I mean... congrats to whoever the dev/publishers are for that, I guess? It's pretty impressive to have a noteable best seller when you're peddling somethin' like that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 10359 10360 [10361] 10362 10363 ... 10980