Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10519 10520 [10521] 10522 10523 ... 10987

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13413162 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #157800 on: July 15, 2021, 02:30:37 am »

I'm posting this here because, despites some of the themes presented, this currently makes the most sense to me.

My grandmother passed during the night. We knew she was on her way out as she'd taken a nasty fall recently, fracturing her femur, and she was in no state to survive an operation or otherwise recover. My parents, having *just* made it back to America in time, managed to quickly turn around and get up there to see her the past couple days.

And... For that, I'm quite happy. I can't imagine what not being there would've done to my mom, to not be able to see her mom out of this life (and to see that she, topped up with morphine, was very much at peace when she did leave).

But for me... I don't know. It feels like it doesn't really mean anything.

My grandmother, some 15 years ago, decided to cut out and effectively excommunicate our side of the family. At the behest of my one aunt (who has ticked every point on the Hare psychopathy checklist), she pushed away her two other daughters and all their associated family members. Refusing to believe anyone except for that one daughter (and her son, who was perfectly willing to toe the line and not fight the outrageous statements coming out of the bitch) and shunning anyone and everyone else.

There was a very brief moment in time where she tried reaching out to contact me specifically (apparently thinking my parents to be the cruel and deceitful individuals my aunt had painted them as and worried that they would interfere with any communications should she not work out how to send an email directly to me), and... I'm not really even sure. Try to stay in touch and keep things pleasant while declaring my parents and anyone associated with them to be morally reprehensible? Myself included?

And that was it. Beyond that, I haven't seen or talked with her in about 15 years. She made her choices and she stuck with them.

...or at least, she intended to. In her later days, her mind deteriorated to the point where she didn't remember any of that ever happening, and went back to singing praises of my father and me. Which must've been quite the interesting experience for my uncle, who had been her primary caregiver for ages at that point. Apparently she didn't have nearly as much positive to say about him.

And I just... I feel like I should probably feel something more. I mean, my grandmother died. And before the great split, I did have some good experiences with her. But I guess I'm not as good at forgiving just because she forgot.

I do feel for my mother though, and I hope that she gets to process this whole thing in a positive way. I'm also worried about her not acknowledging what weight this situation holds for her, which is of course a hilariously ironic statement coming immediately after my whole "I totally don't feel anything, brah", but... yeah.

Weird message to wake up to, in any case.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #157801 on: July 15, 2021, 03:45:34 am »

Well, the best thing to do is latch onto the good memories and let the bad ones disappear into the ether.

Grandma was nice, then she went crazy (no reason to dwell on why), and now she has passed on.

Spoiler: On the essence of Why (click to show/hide)

My Grandma went crazy too, although she had no help in that department (brain problems over time). But I was her favorite, and that is the important thing.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157802 on: July 15, 2021, 08:05:59 pm »

I remember a tv show were a kid systematically broke every teacher assigned to his class by simply asking why repeatedly to every explanation or consecutive answer they gave.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157803 on: July 15, 2021, 08:24:23 pm »

I remember a tv show were a kid systematically broke every teacher assigned to his class by simply asking why repeatedly to every explanation or consecutive answer they gave.

why
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #157804 on: July 15, 2021, 09:58:41 pm »

why
well, son, it all started back in the war of ‘85
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157805 on: July 15, 2021, 10:15:07 pm »

why
well, son, it all started back in the war of ‘85

Joey, have you ever been in a Turkish Prison?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157806 on: July 16, 2021, 01:50:08 am »

why
Because !!SCIENcE!! Also, I wanna watch whatever show that was. Do you remember if it was a live action show or animated? Or what channel it was on?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157807 on: July 16, 2021, 02:22:18 am »

"Classical" warfare was so strange or maybe prescient in how much tactical engineering occurred.  We all know about WW1 and 2, the trench combat, but Historia Civilis is full of amazing examples of troop movements being foiled in real time by legionaires throwing up walls/palisades/ditches.

Like what is this, Populous or Populous the Beginning?
I guess people fortified a lot in the American Civil War too, and I just can't comprehend how quickly they apparently were able to do that.  I've done some bicycle trail maintenance but maybe I could have worked faster with mortal peril and training.

Anyway, I was particularly amazed when Lions Led By Donkeys explained that Spartacus's rebellion The Rebellion Including Spartacus wandered into a peninsula by accident, and the pursuing Romans immediately set to digging a ditch across the peninsula.
"Tens of miles across"

(Warning: NSFW mentions of Jupiter's Cock as a curse)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 02:25:08 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157808 on: July 16, 2021, 02:40:18 am »

Shit, this means fortnite is a realistic depiction of what modern combat would be like if soldiers would stop being cowards and just punch trees

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157809 on: July 16, 2021, 06:26:01 am »

I did not remembered which show was, but a quick google search and presto, it was Pete and Pete, the episode in question is called "X=Why?”, season 2, episode 8; originally aired Oct. 23, 1994.

It seems like it was in another life... life around this place was really different back then.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #157810 on: July 16, 2021, 11:21:55 am »

I guess people fortified a lot in the American Civil War too, and I just can't comprehend how quickly they apparently were able to do that.  I've done some bicycle trail maintenance but maybe I could have worked faster with mortal peril and training.

At least two American Civil War battles were decided largely on the location of a pre-existing wall or fence.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157811 on: July 16, 2021, 02:04:33 pm »

And one not-quite-existing railroad.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #157812 on: July 16, 2021, 03:03:00 pm »

There's reliable accounts of wwi/wwii soldiers hearing incoming artillery and having a shallow-but-adequate foxhole dug before the shell hit. Incoming fire seems to increase productivity immensely.

In semi-realted news, a War Thunder player was unhappy with the Challenger 2 tank in-game. So he went to the forums to complain about it, using classified British Army documents to show where the game got it wrong.

The Ministry Of Defense is not pleased, and neither are the game devs.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #157813 on: July 16, 2021, 03:31:40 pm »

classified British Army documents
Aren't the devs behind War Thunder from Russia?

The best way to fix game balance is to threaten national security, sounds reasonable
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157814 on: July 16, 2021, 03:50:58 pm »

At least two American Civil War battles were decided largely on the location of a pre-existing wall or fence.

Also, the Army Corps of Engineers is literally there to help with this kind of thing.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 10519 10520 [10521] 10522 10523 ... 10987