Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10553 10554 [10555] 10556 10557 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13006866 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #158310 on: September 19, 2021, 02:48:10 am »

It sounds like 90% of shitty black American comedians to me, but I also don't think this TBN would invite a black person, probably
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158311 on: September 19, 2021, 09:03:35 am »

Final space got cancelled. What the hell man?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158312 on: September 19, 2021, 10:18:36 pm »

Okay so:
I send a request for a webpage.  From a site I established a connection with, alright.  Though I'm using a laptop.

My laptop wiggles the air such that my router interprets a signal, which it sends to my modem.  My modem makes sure this is a good signal and sends it off to my ISP.  They analyze it and confirm it's benign, and so it goes across:

The internet hops which used to be so important for hacking, and still are in fiction.  Bouncing between nodes, all that.

I just.. the more interesting thing is the way the signal is bounced between nodes!  But the air jumps are fascinating as well.  I guess I'm old.

It's nice that we all have access to PGP crypto.  It's a matter of normal life, without us realizing it!
I have trouble comprehending how a wiggled signal leads to a response before I can even blink.
These are the times, of miracles and wonders.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #158313 on: September 20, 2021, 04:29:02 am »

These are the times, of miracles and wonders.
And also unyielding conniptions. But I agree, faster information speeds are at least one objective measure of things getting improved these days. They even lay down another google owned fibreoptic transatlantic cable. Pings begone

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158314 on: September 20, 2021, 11:58:14 am »

Had an issue with some code. Got frustrated, moved onto next issue in code.

Fix new issue in code.

Older frustrating issue in code is gone.

Waiting for other shoe to drop and break more code.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158315 on: September 20, 2021, 12:03:52 pm »

Happens. Either it was really one issue with two symptoms, or you introduced a new issue that exactly compensates for the first one.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158316 on: September 20, 2021, 12:07:19 pm »

Happens. Either it was really one issue with two symptoms, or you introduced a new issue that exactly compensates for the first one.

Gotta love compiling compilers. It was some shift/reduce errors I thought were unrelated.

They were fixed waaay up the grammar tree on what( I thought was) a different completely unrelated syntax issue.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158317 on: September 20, 2021, 01:08:06 pm »

Life actually fries me it's hilarious man

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158318 on: September 20, 2021, 03:58:33 pm »

Stuff like this is why people complain about software.  It's almost as if people think they'll get punished if they, oh, I dunno, test their code before releasing or something.

Look at the hoops someone had to go through to find this issue (which I recently started experiencing - basically someone screwed up an update around the end of August. I had to dig to find this blog with the workaround):

https://www.brendangregg.com/blog/2021-08-27/slack-crashes-secret-stderr.html

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158319 on: September 21, 2021, 05:49:32 pm »

Stuff like this is why people complain about software.  It's almost as if people think they'll get punished

Still waiting for the Butlerian Jihad.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #158320 on: September 21, 2021, 10:46:52 pm »

Old man shit gets in highly improbable places on a toilet bowl. We're talkin' goddamn ass tarzan shenanigans. Places it don't make physical sense for shit to be. Non-euclidean toilet stains.

Let me say this now: I ain't waiting for the gods to take me if I'm still alive if that very literal mess starts happening to me. Whatever plans may or may not be in place can get fucked at that point, I'm off this damned mortal coil if they're going to require living through that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158321 on: September 22, 2021, 01:44:40 am »

Earthquakes in Victoria? Well, that's something that doesn't happen every decade.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #158322 on: September 22, 2021, 09:31:14 pm »

So it's the equinox.

One of the teachers in this school gave a little presentation about what that is for the kids (we gotta fill time, okay?) And she mentioned that you can balance an egg on the equinox. I'd heard this a lot growing up, and only now took a moment to think critically on it - what would the equinox have to do with gravity? A quick google revealed: nothing. You can balance an egg any day of the year, it's just a myth.

I was interested that the myth was also here in China - and not just an American thing. When I mentioned it to some pals from Boston they told me they'd never heard of it. I'm not crazy, right? This is like...a thing schools say, right?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158323 on: September 22, 2021, 10:40:30 pm »

So it's the equinox.

One of the teachers in this school gave a little presentation about what that is for the kids (we gotta fill time, okay?) And she mentioned that you can balance an egg on the equinox.
Ooh I never heard that one!  I wonder if that means toilets flush straight down, too?  Maybe you address that in the rest of your post but there's no time to check, I need to do science :D
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #158324 on: September 23, 2021, 05:51:12 am »

Never head of that shit either, tho we never did care much about the various celestial events in these parts, maybe the perseid showers but that's about it.

One similar thing tho is that a surprising amount of folks around here think that mortadella is made with horse meat because mortadella actually means dead horse in italian (pretty sure it doesn't). I remember being told this as a fact many times over the years by my parents, only recently did I actually look the thing up and see how utterly wrong that is. When I told them this they were kinda stumped and didn't really buy it, claiming that it must have some horse in it or something, otherwise why would it be called dead horse :V

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 10553 10554 [10555] 10556 10557 ... 10974