Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10555 10556 [10557] 10558 10559 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13173505 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #158340 on: September 30, 2021, 03:50:12 am »

In Ecuador, a gang war (between Los Lobos en Los Choneros, associated with the Mexican Sinaloa and Jalisco cartels) inside a prison got 116 people killed, of whom 5 were decapitated, and at least 80 people injured.

Ecuador has declared national state of emergency in all prisons. This allows the government to send in the army.
The military is now surrounding the prisons. In a press conference, the government was not yet able to declare that they have regained control of the prisons.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 03:51:52 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #158341 on: September 30, 2021, 06:09:30 pm »

Equadorian and Venezuelan prisoners apparently have very different ideas about how gang bangs should go down
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158342 on: September 30, 2021, 07:29:16 pm »

Hahahaha.......

We have our fair share of massacres too. A particularly famous one I recall a guy got decapitated, then they opened his abdomen, stuck his head there and then sewed the whole thing again and paraded the body around the yard.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #158343 on: October 01, 2021, 01:03:16 pm »

In worse news, my father has been lead to believe that the vaccines are leaky (people get infected without becoming sick) and thus creating new variants because that's creating selection pressure for vaccine resistance.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158344 on: October 01, 2021, 01:17:14 pm »

Don't many government policies make that assumption as well? Australia is opening its borders for the vaccinated only, but they are still forcing those vaccinated individuals to remain in a two-week quarantine after their flights. Why would they need to do that if these individuals aren't capable of hosting the virus?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #158345 on: October 01, 2021, 01:27:00 pm »

It is well-accepted by the medical world and governments that you can still get infected despite being vaccinated. It prevents 95% or more of hospitalizations though.

This does bring the risk with it indeed, that those strains of virus that are less susceptible to the vaccine get an evolutionary advantage over strains that aren't, but I wouldn't stress too much over that. The unvaccinated are a much bigger pool for new strains to evolve.

We should really start providing more vaccines to the third world countries that barely received any yet.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158346 on: October 01, 2021, 05:41:26 pm »

These are approximated numbers I was given by a health worker here, they may vary from vaccine to vaccine and person to person.

1- The vaccine do not creates complete immunization till 28 days after the second doze application.

2- The first doze you have develop some inmunity after 21 days. But this is not complete immunization.

3- That is why the second doze is put 21 days after. 28 days after the second doze you should have a chance of 95% of not getting infected.

4- So its almost 50 days after the first vaccine till the body  develop antibodies. We are not computers, is not like updating the virus data base is instant.

5- After those 50 days you only have a 5% of actually getting covid and unless really unlucky or have other medical complications you will not die from it even if you get it.

6- Those 50 days are crucial and you should take extra care, your immune system is already engaged dealing with the vaccine, do not add the real virus to the mix.

7- Do not get overconfident after the first doze. This has lead to a awful lot of people actually getting covid after the first doze. It is a shame to lose all those first shots.

8- This is why you should follow the safety measures before, during and after vaccination.

So, that small amount of people that ate vaccinated but can still get covid can spread it around. They dont die from it and even could not present symptoms but are potential vectors to other unvaccinated people.

That is why. And that is why if you are tired of masks, as 99% of the world population is, keep them only a few months more and we'll be done with this shit for good until the next one.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #158347 on: October 01, 2021, 05:50:54 pm »

These are approximated numbers I was given by a health worker here, they may vary from vaccine to vaccine and person to person.

1- The vaccine do not creates complete immunization till 28 days after the second doze application.
Uh... No. The vaccin will never create complete immunization

3- That is why the second doze is put 21 days after. 28 days after the second doze you should have a chance of 95% of not getting infected.

Uh.. No. From what I've read, the Pfizer and Moderna vaccins prevent about 70-75% of infections (and they have the highest numbers of all vaccins so far on that matter). They do prevent 95% of hospitalizations though but that's not the same.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #158348 on: October 01, 2021, 06:33:01 pm »

Early efficacy reporting was around 90% for the mRNA vaccines, as variants have spread, and a wider sample is used, the efficacy has dropped slightly, so that may have been Baal's mistake

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158349 on: October 01, 2021, 07:18:16 pm »

I meant complete immunization as far as it goes. I should have wrote achieve its total efficiency then. All the rest holds true even if numbers are not accurate, change 95 for 75 and is still the same issue.

Anyway this was told to me by a doctor here that migth be working with either earlier reports or official numbers that are exaggerated.

Eventually we should have a vaccine that works perfectly?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 07:20:41 pm by LordBaal »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #158350 on: October 01, 2021, 07:41:48 pm »

I'm not sure perfect is a proper medical term, but they can probably get much better.
I make Spellcrafts!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158351 on: October 01, 2021, 07:49:11 pm »

Something like what we have for polio in example.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158352 on: October 01, 2021, 08:11:47 pm »

Something like what we have for polio in example.

We will not, for covid. Even assuming the population is totally vaccinated, there is still a resevoir in animals which wou'd be infinitely more difficult to convince to vaccinate themselves.

As long as that resevoir exists, people will still catch covid on occasion, but that's like Lyme disease, rather than influenza. A much preferable situation - infrequent and known, compared to widedpread.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158353 on: October 02, 2021, 10:50:40 pm »

More importantly, the virus has brutally forced the FDA to approve drugs that target generic corona viruses, which it has specifically stonewalled in the past. (Demanding specific diagnoses, specific efficacy testing, et al.)

Merck recently released a drug called molnupiravir that wrecks rna virus replication (as in, generic rna viruses as a broad class) , specifically due to covid.  It increased chances of surviving severe covid 50% in their human trial.

Should it ever become OTC, the common cold is done for.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 11:31:28 pm by wierd »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158354 on: October 02, 2021, 11:36:48 pm »

Promising results! Antivirals are so troublesome, having a generic one would be an incredible leap.
Pages: 1 ... 10555 10556 [10557] 10558 10559 ... 10983