Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10557 10558 [10559] 10560 10561 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12995478 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #158370 on: October 07, 2021, 07:23:32 am »

WTF, Ninjas vs US army special forces.
Classic ninja, attacking when his opponents are unarmed and unaware

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158371 on: October 07, 2021, 07:58:10 am »

I'm honestly surprised the military didn't just use military force on the guy. I mean seriously, what restraint to not just open fire.  Probably most interesting is that they waited for the police; doesn't the military have tear gas or stun guns themselves?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #158372 on: October 07, 2021, 08:04:43 am »

US military is not allowed to use lethal force on US soil / against US citizens.

(Well except if it is by presidentially decreed drone strike)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158373 on: October 07, 2021, 08:12:48 am »

I'm honestly surprised the military didn't just use military force on the guy. I mean seriously, what restraint to not just open fire.  Probably most interesting is that they waited for the police; doesn't the military have tear gas or stun guns themselves?
I'm glad they didn't. There is clearly something very, very wrong with his head.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158374 on: October 07, 2021, 08:26:20 am »

US military is not allowed to use lethal force on US soil / against US citizens.
That sounds really stupid.
It means that if someone broke into a military base in US and started killing people, they would not be allowed to defend themselves until the police arrives.

Sure, an army attacking it's own country should be prevented, but a full on ban on fighting on own soil sounds to me like a good way to get the army killed.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #158375 on: October 07, 2021, 08:46:49 am »

I do suppose there's also an exception for units defending locations of national security.

Inyokern airport is a public airport / civilian location though, so that's police jurisdiction.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 08:48:55 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158376 on: October 07, 2021, 09:27:24 am »

I think there are and logically should be exceptions. Also I guess they were not in a spot of do or die were lethal force was needed as a mater of self-defense.

MP probably can shoot your ass off as well as guards in any military installation regardless of your citizenship or the country you are.

Quote from: NPR.org
Projectile rounds were used "but were ineffective,"

« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 09:40:42 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158377 on: October 07, 2021, 11:08:25 am »

It means that if someone broke into a military base in US and started killing people, they would not be allowed to defend themselves until the police arrives.

Sure, an army attacking it's own country should be prevented, but a full on ban on fighting on own soil sounds to me like a good way to get the army killed.

?! Let's abolish the fundamentals of democracy because of a mall ninja? You don't want an army operating on your own soil to prevent military coups. If there is foreign combattants it doesn't apply anyway. And if shit hits the fan you give them a mandate.

You don't give them a mandate preemptively in the hope they will behave.
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158378 on: October 07, 2021, 12:06:55 pm »

In this case most likely they were unarmed or using fake bullets to avoid any casualty. And for as much specops they are a crazy guy with a katana is nothing to laugh at and can kill you. In this case the most sensitive thing to do was to simply get away from the guy.

I bet this could have ended up much more differently if they guy acted on a military base  and/or against armed and on duty personnel and/or if the ninja had cornered them with no escape.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158379 on: October 07, 2021, 12:47:33 pm »

?! Let's abolish the fundamentals of democracy because of a mall ninja? You don't want an army operating on your own soil to prevent military coups. If there is foreign combattants it doesn't apply anyway. And if shit hits the fan you give them a mandate.

You don't give them a mandate preemptively in the hope they will behave.

To add to that, the discouragement of the use of military force against civilians is actually something enshrined in the original constitution. It was seen as very important by the founding fathers.

Because formerly trained federal police forces weren't around back then, some say that the creation of those should have also been banned by that amendment. But that's from the defund the police crowd.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158380 on: October 07, 2021, 01:15:42 pm »

Looking at the condition of his blade, it seems that he was lacking training anyway ...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #158381 on: October 07, 2021, 01:30:23 pm »

I was going to ask you to go into details (iirc you are a walker of the Way of the Sword, right?), but I went back and looked before posting and jeez. That looks like a butcher's knife after 30 years of use. Or like he's been cutting from the blade rather than using the blade to cut
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158382 on: October 07, 2021, 03:19:14 pm »

Im keeping to my headcanon the guy used it to stop the bullets fired at him and hence the state of the sword.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158383 on: October 07, 2021, 03:27:59 pm »

doesn't the military have tear gas or stun guns themselves?

Stun guns... maybe? I don't know. Tear gas? Absolutely not, except for training purposes. It's classified as a chemical weapon. "For training purposes" means that it's actually a requirement to graduate training in most branches of service to take a face full of the stuff. With and without a protective mask.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158384 on: October 07, 2021, 04:49:14 pm »

Yeah, militaries are forbidden from a lot of attacks against any civilians, including their own, which is why there's been such a big push to give military equipment to police forces to use.
Pages: 1 ... 10557 10558 [10559] 10560 10561 ... 10973