Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10562 10563 [10564] 10565 10566 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13003178 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #158445 on: October 12, 2021, 08:51:20 pm »

Baby showers are great!

This recent trend of loudly and pubicly publicly celebrating infant "gender" is just a response to the recent visibility of trans people.  That's not the intention of everyone taking part, or even the first person who held such a party back in '08 (this is not an old tradition).  She just wanted to have a party with an innovative theme, and has opinions on what it's become: https://www.npr.org/2019/07/28/745990073/woman-who-popularized-gender-reveal-parties-says-her-views-on-gender-have-change

It's not even just a anti-trans issue though, it's frankly just weird.  There are plenty of things to celebrate about one's baby without making a big deal about their sex (or making a gaudy, exaggerated, explosive point of declaring their gender).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158446 on: October 12, 2021, 11:54:31 pm »

I honestly don't see the issue with people deciding to celebrate major life events with their friends and family in the form of a party.

I'll agree with you when people treat trans kids coming out as a celebration. As-is, that 51% statistic makes me side-eye this really fucking hard.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #158447 on: October 13, 2021, 03:39:41 am »

An unfortnate mix of explosives and stupidity turned the gender reveal party into a baby shower
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #158448 on: October 13, 2021, 09:02:57 am »

Baby showers are great!

This recent trend of loudly and pubicly publicly celebrating infant "gender" is just a response to the recent visibility of trans people.  That's not the intention of everyone taking part, or even the first person who held such a party back in '08 (this is not an old tradition).  She just wanted to have a party with an innovative theme, and has opinions on what it's become: https://www.npr.org/2019/07/28/745990073/woman-who-popularized-gender-reveal-parties-says-her-views-on-gender-have-change

It's not even just a anti-trans issue though, it's frankly just weird.  There are plenty of things to celebrate about one's baby without making a big deal about their sex (or making a gaudy, exaggerated, explosive point of declaring their gender).
That's a bit like how creationism was a modern reaction to the theory of natural selection; a bizzare overreaction which doesn't make sense in context or out of it, endorsed just to prove how unlike new thing you are

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #158449 on: October 13, 2021, 04:13:11 pm »

I'm hearing that there was a mass casualty bow and arrow attack in Norway?
That five people died?
The hell?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158450 on: October 13, 2021, 04:16:18 pm »

Yup, at least 4 people confirmed dead.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58906165.amp
What the fuck is too small for this.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #158451 on: October 13, 2021, 04:40:52 pm »

misheard walk-in tub commercial, thought TV was advertising for elongated tongues
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158452 on: October 13, 2021, 04:52:48 pm »

Is not Scriver from Norway? Oh shit hope he is alright. Also, that he is not the bowman too.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #158453 on: October 13, 2021, 04:55:45 pm »

Is not Scriver from Norway? Oh shit hope he is alright. Also, that he is not the bowman too.

Nah, I'm one of the norskies, Scriver is next door in swedeland.

Also the reports coming out of Kongsberg have been... Odd. Seems there may have been some overeager reporting based on not-entirely-solid sources. Hopefully we'll get a better picture over the course of tomorrow.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158454 on: October 13, 2021, 04:56:50 pm »

Jeez. If there is an error, hope is not 4 dead but injured instead. Sadly those are never the mistakes. It migth turn out the guy was actually using a crossbow or something.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #158455 on: October 13, 2021, 05:51:24 pm »

My Volkskrant reports 5 dead, at least two injured.
The assailant attacked random people shops and in a supermarket. He was taken down and arrested by the police in the supermarket.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158456 on: October 13, 2021, 09:50:32 pm »

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2021/10/house-where-teen-violently-murdered-his-mom-and-sisters-features-chilling-halloween-display.html

I was kind of on the homeowner's side when I saw it had happened 20 years earlier, until I got to the part where it was recent enough that they included details from the murders like the weapon and number of victims. That's...tasteless.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158457 on: October 14, 2021, 12:34:55 am »

-
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 12:46:37 am by JoshuaFH »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #158458 on: October 14, 2021, 12:46:00 am »

I mean... read the article, maybe? The person doing it was involved in cleaning up the literal blood stains from the murder, was close to some of the victims, and appears to be doing it in no small part because people have been driving by their house and hollering at it for years. She seems to just kinda' be like, "I fucking get it, you fuckers can stop using my house as a tourist stop now".

Which is, like. Maybe there's a better way, but I can't really blame 'em if that's how they feel like dealing with it all.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158459 on: October 14, 2021, 12:46:50 am »

Yeah, I'm sorry, I'm tired.
Pages: 1 ... 10562 10563 [10564] 10565 10566 ... 10974