Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10567 10568 [10569] 10570 10571 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13005202 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #158520 on: October 16, 2021, 08:04:10 pm »

If there's no prize I will not guess then!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158521 on: October 17, 2021, 08:14:25 pm »

As for the Aztecs, I'd generally say that as long as the majority of the people within their empire and immediate neighbours believed in human sacrifice then they were actually acting perfectly fine in doing so, because the victims weren't bothered by the practice, just who was in a position to carry it out. My only issue with human sacrifice is when someone who doesn't believe in it is sacrificed to gods that aren't their own.

The Aztecs sacrificed prisoners of war that were obviously unwilling and from completely different cultures. Like Baal said many of them allied with Cortes out of hatred for their subjugation and imperialization by the Aztecs, who (Cortes) otherwise only had a few hundred men. Let us not pretend that all Native Americans were as pure as the driven snow before the Europeans came.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 08:17:16 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #158522 on: October 17, 2021, 08:25:35 pm »

It could be argued that the europeans in fact did ended a terror regime the aztecs had on a lot of other people on the region (to put down their own fucking regime of course) and introduced advanced technology, while also replacing a religion that outrigth demanded human hearts for another religion that at least not demanded human sacrifices (but was still used to condone the mass killings of A LOT of people, you know, like 99% of religions at some point).
I wish I could remember where I saw it, but some time earlier this year I read something where someone went and, like... checked... to the extent possible with available records, just how murderous the Aztecs/related regions actually were, and then compared them to similar metrics vis a vis europe at the time.

There's no prize for guessing which way the scales tilted :P

The only source I can find that might suggest such a view is Camila Townsend's Fifth Sun, which has serious foundational problems based on the scholarly reviews I can find.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158523 on: October 17, 2021, 11:18:19 pm »

I just had a Reeses Cup after several months of not having any sweets.

It tasted like... death.  And air?
And an aftertaste of exhilaration.  Little of the peanut butter taste I remembered.

Halloween is my favorite holy day, but I might not partake in the customary November candy fest.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #158524 on: October 18, 2021, 02:06:20 pm »

reeses are kind of gross.

I loved them as a kid.  these days I eat some Justin’s white chocolate cups when I get that urge.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158525 on: October 18, 2021, 03:30:53 pm »

Try this:
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Galleta-Cubierta-Chocolate-Rellena-Unidades/dp/B01BAU42X4

You can thank me the life changing experience latter.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158526 on: October 18, 2021, 05:46:27 pm »

Just got the peeps to take my Dad to hospital bc of covid complications, paramedics say he does not look good at all. Dude was turning blue.

yeet my life etc

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #158527 on: October 18, 2021, 05:56:04 pm »

Fuck man, I'm so sorry Caz. I hope he makes it.
Love, scriver~

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158528 on: October 18, 2021, 06:00:46 pm »

yeah same, thanks man. chicken!scriver is becoming very cheeky btw. he started pecking my shoe today. he is growing golden feathers.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #158529 on: October 18, 2021, 06:29:51 pm »

Don't let him get away with it, also send me pictures of his golden feathers.
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158530 on: October 18, 2021, 06:54:56 pm »

Dam Caz, please keep us updated. Hope you dad comes out of this!

I bet poultry Scriver is as magestic as the human one.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #158531 on: October 19, 2021, 06:25:20 pm »

Forget to mention it, but I learned yesterday that the world's longest audio book has a playtime of about 101 days. Over 2 thousand hours. Recording of a book that's like four foot thick, when printed.

Some kind of religious thingamabob made to honor some holy figure, or something like that. Title is Shree Haricharitramrut Sagar, which apparently translates into "a nectareous ocean of God's pastimes".
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #158532 on: October 19, 2021, 07:35:53 pm »

Forget to mention it, but I learned yesterday that the world's longest audio book has a playtime of about 101 days. Over 2 thousand hours. Recording of a book that's like four foot thick, when printed.

Some kind of religious thingamabob made to honor some holy figure, or something like that. Title is Shree Haricharitramrut Sagar, which apparently translates into "a nectareous ocean of God's pastimes".

It took 13 and a half years to write - which is impressively brief, honestly. The amazon page is hilarious because it looks like the image of the book spine is stretched...but that's just what it is.

The book was also etched into titanium sheets - a famously very inexpensive thing that a modest and humble religion could afford.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158533 on: October 19, 2021, 07:40:36 pm »

It menaces with spikes of something? Seems like the work of a mood.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158534 on: October 19, 2021, 11:40:03 pm »

Dam Caz, please keep us updated. Hope you dad comes out of this!

I bet poultry Scriver is as magestic as the human one.

blood clots in da heart that don't respond to extreme anticoags that can cause bleeding in his brain or gut that's already weakened by decades of alcohol abuse, ventilator for breathing and drugs to keep his heart rate up. he's fucked man.

scrive is very majestic though. i need to find how in hell to rehome all these many chickems ducks and quail.
Pages: 1 ... 10567 10568 [10569] 10570 10571 ... 10974