Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10610 10611 [10612] 10613 10614 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12998598 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #159165 on: January 17, 2022, 03:22:20 pm »

Mary Worth is a terrible comic that is still in newspapers. It's about a woman who teaches people that they should stay in abusive or otherwise toxic relationships (or how poor people are always bad), because abusers really just need a second (third, fourth, fifth, etc.) chance. The current story is about a guy who threatened to kill his girlfriend's cat, and then got back with her by making a scene at karaoke and ruining her date with someone else. Previously he's gotten drunk (he's an alcoholic, but goes back to alcohol every time things aren't going his way) and spilled things all over people, and generally makes a nuisance of himself. He's pretty much the hero of the comic for the last few years.

Anyway, he got tired of her leaving every time he's shitty to her, and wants her to marry him so she can't leave. She said no, he got drunk again, and fell off a cruise ship. They turned the cruise ship around, and he's been in the ocean passed out for around an hour. Today, he washed up on a beach, despite the impossibility of him still being alive.

They're really milking this Wilbur thing because nobody's been this invested in the comic since Mary killed Aldo.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #159166 on: January 17, 2022, 06:35:27 pm »

Mary Worth is a terrible comic that is still in newspapers. It's about a woman who teaches people that they should stay in abusive or otherwise toxic relationships (or how poor people are always bad), because abusers really just need a second (third, fourth, fifth, etc.) chance. The current story is about a guy who threatened to kill his girlfriend's cat, and then got back with her by making a scene at karaoke and ruining her date with someone else. Previously he's gotten drunk (he's an alcoholic, but goes back to alcohol every time things aren't going his way) and spilled things all over people, and generally makes a nuisance of himself. He's pretty much the hero of the comic for the last few years.

Anyway, he got tired of her leaving every time he's shitty to her, and wants her to marry him so she can't leave. She said no, he got drunk again, and fell off a cruise ship. They turned the cruise ship around, and he's been in the ocean passed out for around an hour. Today, he washed up on a beach, despite the impossibility of him still being alive.

They're really milking this Wilbur thing because nobody's been this invested in the comic since Mary killed Aldo.
Mary was part of the Red Brigades?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #159167 on: January 17, 2022, 07:13:02 pm »

Mostly an aside here- but I really miss, like, quality spritework. The shift to 3d models between, say, Pokemon and Disgaea has clearly stifled in the variety of characters or creatures either is able to proffer, and I think the loss of variety isn't worth the shift in rendering.
There is a ton of just wildly beautiful sprite work of a wide variety of styles coming out of smaller/indie studios in particular and has been for a while. Rather than miss it, you've just been missing it :P

well, yes, but it's not, y'know, pokemon or disgaea, which did famously with sprites previously and then stepped away

i did play noita yesterday, and mindustry about a week prior- I do know sprites are out there. :U
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 09:24:42 am by None »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159168 on: January 17, 2022, 07:33:38 pm »

Hey, don't forget there's been a surprising amount of 2D pokemon knockoffs recently-ish. If you're looking for a sprited pokemon fix, you got sorta'!options.

Could swear the disgaea folks are still doing 2D/spritework stuff, too, if not necessarily mainline disgaea. There's definitely plenty of srpgs floating around, at least :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159169 on: January 17, 2022, 09:43:01 pm »

Why are the characters in Kingsglaive: FFXV (namely Lunafreya) so different from the actual FFXV game?

Not that FFXV was anywhere near that great a game (well at least so far, I've still not bothered to finish it), but you'd think they'd at least have some consistency?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159170 on: January 17, 2022, 10:34:21 pm »

Hey, don't forget there's been a surprising amount of 2D pokemon knockoffs recently-ish. If you're looking for a sprited pokemon fix, you got sorta'!options.

Could swear the disgaea folks are still doing 2D/spritework stuff, too, if not necessarily mainline disgaea. There's definitely plenty of srpgs floating around, at least :P

I think octopath traveller on switch was mostly spritework.

My personal faves for spritework were street fighter third strike or the metal slug series.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159171 on: January 17, 2022, 11:32:22 pm »

The mana line (prior to the 3D thing I won't even look at) has always had a pretty soft spot in my heart reserved (along with their soundtrack, natch). There's piles of other super pretty ones out there, though.
Ask not!
Ask!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159172 on: January 18, 2022, 03:27:00 am »

Seikendensetsu 3 looked, played, and sounded great.  Very well polished SNES JRPG.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159173 on: January 18, 2022, 01:16:20 pm »

I did a rom hacky thing to FF Tactics WOTL, and now it has the "I crit a spell or ability so I shout something enigmatic in ye olde english" and it's added a lot.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159174 on: January 18, 2022, 01:59:46 pm »

That sounds like a happy thing if you ask me.

WTF- this test automation software is changing the actual reported value out of the web page I'm testing against when I change the expected value. If I tell it to validate that an element is visible, the actual value coming out of the web page is true. When I tell it to validate that an element is not visible, the actual value coming out of the web page is false. All I'm changing out of the software is whether the expected value is True or False.

damn software is breaking causality over one knee and sneering at me, and our resident automation expert couldn't explain why either

so now we're gonna validate the existence of text with screenshots, take that, software

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159175 on: January 18, 2022, 04:32:25 pm »

If I tell it to validate that an element is visible, the actual value coming out of the web page is true. When I tell it to validate that an element is not visible, the actual value coming out of the web page is false. All I'm changing out of the software is whether the expected value is True or False.

Sounds suspiciously like someone confused an assignment operator with compare-for-equality operator.

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159176 on: January 18, 2022, 05:37:10 pm »

Between that and the warnings thrown in the log when the other thing I'm checking NotExists does not, in fact, exist (and it searches the whole sixty seconds on the page by default hoping to find the value that doesn't exist to confirm it doesn't exist (and let's not get started on the fact that instead of being able to set a nice neat number of seconds or miliseconds for this value, I have to go into the settings and change the time search value as a factor of one- want to look for twelve seconds? Gotta set that factor to 0.2!)), I'm quite willing to believe it.

Between the automation software, the software I'm testing against, and the fact that my bloody browser instrumentation add-on that lets one interact with the other vanishes at random throughout the day, it feels like I'm trying to do origami while wearing a spacesuit and everything is coated in lube. Maybe the origami paper is actually made of mineral oil too, I don't frigging now, I've got permission error boxes that travel across web application pages, group persona permissions are different on a per-individual basis, and about nothing I'm doing now is any kind of reusable because elements are rendered with no consistency.

Augh, I've got a headache.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159177 on: January 18, 2022, 06:08:48 pm »

tv loudly announcing in vaguely racist spanish accent, "I am boar ass, senior! Boar ass!"

I think maybe it's actually supposed to be boris, i'unno. Mr. three (plus) digit bodycount corporate mercenary (Jim Hardy, tales of wells fargo), meet boar ass. I'm sure he's a fine fellow, that boar ass.
Ask not!
Ask!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #159178 on: January 19, 2022, 04:48:56 pm »

Playing Oregon Trail online, and I got a Hail Storm in a Very Hot July 24th day.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #159179 on: January 19, 2022, 04:51:12 pm »

That's pretty much when you get hail.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 10610 10611 [10612] 10613 10614 ... 10974