Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10611 10612 [10613] 10614 10615 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13005407 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #159180 on: January 19, 2022, 06:00:30 pm »

Saw a person with a shirt saying something about their voice as a black woman. The person was a white bald guy. ??
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159181 on: January 19, 2022, 06:13:24 pm »

I just want to yell at the people writing Bravely Default 2's story. Specifically, what I want to yell is "YOU KNOW COMIC RELIEF IS A THING RIGHT?! YOU'RE NOT TOO GOOD TO ADD IN SOME JOKES OR SOMETHING! SHEESH!"

Like, in a longform story like you'd see in a JRPG, you'd expect pretty frequent changes in style, tempo, pace, ambiance, theme, whatever just don't keep the same feeling going for too long or everything starts to blend together. This is normally done by adding in comic relief, just some jokes or ribbing, just something to cut the mood, so the Viewer or Player can laugh and smile for a second before we go back into the serious shit. Bravely Default 2's writers decided that they don't need shit like that, they can just have the player progress through a continually escalating series of tragedies one after the other, with all the characters' input being very sober and rational dialogue as it all unfolds in front of them.

And while I appreciate all the voice acting, couldn't they, you know, have done a better job? There's all these big dramatic scenes, and people are supposed to be angry and distraught, but I'm just not being moved by any of it. Legit feels like amateur hour actors half-assedly reading the lines to a 2nd-rate play sometimes.

It's just upsetting because the Bravely Default series' hallmark is taking the cliched RPG-storylines and tropes, and just playing them straight harder than anyone else in the market. I want Bravely Default to succeed as an IP, but it's very hard to see it continuing if the best it can do is this underwhelming. Being good is good, being bad is atleast memorable, but being unremarkable is completely lethal to any game or series.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159182 on: January 20, 2022, 09:23:13 am »

In my attempts to get all my stuff to work on my newest (used, but new to me) laptop, (which runs xubuntu), I found that the blizzard battle.net client does not like any flavor of stock versions of WINE, and thus wont work via play on linux or lutris.

Hilariously, though, it works JUUUUSSST FINE in Steam's Proton, using Glorious Eggroll.

The irony of using the Steam library to launch the Blizzard library, is not lost on me.

WTF. :)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159183 on: January 20, 2022, 11:08:51 am »

Just wait to see what nonsense ensues if Microsoft's purchase of Blizzard Activision is approved.   >:(

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159184 on: January 20, 2022, 12:12:17 pm »

One can only hope for master chief doomslayer crossover game of ass kickery
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #159185 on: January 20, 2022, 12:35:56 pm »

What frightens me are all the accompanying cries of 'Who will Sony acquire in order to compete with Microsoft?' instead of 'Hey let's maybe not aggregate every publisher and producer under a select few supercorporations that are going to implement walled gardens and console exclusivity in order to drive sales against the consumer's best interests and eliminate competition which drives predatory monopolistic practices' but that might just be the anticapitalist in me speaking.

I dunno. The only people this move is good for is Microsoft, and given how Windows 11 is going, they're not building products with the best interests of the end-user in mind.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159186 on: January 20, 2022, 12:38:06 pm »

Yes all it does is leave me with the impression that the computer ecosystems of the coming decade will suck ass. Be ready to see windows as adriddled as android and as restrictive as IOS.
let

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159187 on: January 20, 2022, 12:55:56 pm »

Android is ad-riddled?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159188 on: January 20, 2022, 12:58:58 pm »

non-lineageos / non-AOSP android is, yes.  Advert tech is DEEEEEPLY rooted in.  (those two options though, are very clean.)

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159189 on: January 20, 2022, 01:05:17 pm »

Sure, the tech is in there, but is it ad-riddled?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159190 on: January 20, 2022, 02:17:45 pm »

Just wait to see what nonsense ensues if Microsoft's purchase of Blizzard Activision is approved.   >:(
Probably can't be much worse than what actiblizz was already getting up to, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159191 on: January 20, 2022, 03:15:05 pm »

Probably can't be much worse than what actiblizz was already getting up to, ha.

New boss, same as the old boss.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159192 on: January 21, 2022, 03:28:30 am »

given how Windows 11 is going, they're not building products with the best interests of the end-user in mind.
So I take it that Windows 11 is windows 10 but worse with more ads
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159193 on: January 21, 2022, 04:39:33 am »

given how Windows 11 is going, they're not building products with the best interests of the end-user in mind.
So I take it that Windows 11 is windows 10 but worse with more ads

My hot take on it:

Media Companies:
Hey, Microsoft-- you have this huge install base of mindless morons that dont know how to manage their own computers, and we are very eager to control their entire media consumption experience, can you help us accomplish this goal?

Microsoft:
ABSOLUTELY! We have been wanting to be the prima-fascia gatekeeper for media for DECADES!
We have also been slowly but subtly removing "Features nobody uses!" (like actual administration and system tweaking features), and dumbing down the experience that whole time, and our users ARE LOVING IT!

Media Companies:
AMAZING! We'll have our people get together, and form some consortia to divvy up how we intend to control all aspects of media consumption on your platform-- We'll be sure to give your people strong leeway, and we can discuss the licensing particulars.

Microsoft:
GREAT! LET'S DO THIS!

-----

[4 Years Later]

-----

Media companies:
In order to STOP THE EVIL PIRATES (that really, our own research teams-- DAMN THEM--- tell us are not actually the problem--- But we will listen to MARKETING instead of RESEARCH, because we like their answers better!), we need to take more control away from the end user, so that they cant be involved in OUR SUPER SECRET CRYPTO DRM!  We know that you have been pushing for TPMs for over a decade now, but end users have been resistant to the push-- If we get on board with it, will you continue pushing?

Microsoft:
ABSOLUTELY! Keeping parts of the OS locked up, away from prying eyes, and running in secure enclave/PSP is part of our deal with the NSA (Damn you Snowden for revealing this!), since we can hide nefarious bullshit in the secure enclave and end users would never even know!  We would be happy to set up a partially trusted access to the secure enclave to hide media decryption routines for you, to PROTECT YOUR ASSETS FROM THE EVIL PIRATES (that our own research teams tell us are not actually the problem also, but we will agree with you that Marketing has more desirable answers on that.)   We will make TPM2.0 an ABSOLUTE NECESSITY in our newest OS!

Media companies:
FUCK YEAH!

End users:
Uhm--- NO.  DO NOT WANT.

Microsoft:
Really guys!? REALLY!?  FINE--- You can use software TPM services instead. Jeeze, you guys are such killjoys!

Media companies:
BOOO!  We expect you to try harder, Microsoft!

Microsoft:
Dont worry, We will just do what we always do, and just incrementally take away this "feature", and force compliance more slowly.

Media companies:
YAY!!!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 04:54:47 am by wierd »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #159194 on: January 21, 2022, 04:47:33 am »

What's bad about it? I've been pressing "no update plz" for a while now but mostly just because no reason.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 10611 10612 [10613] 10614 10615 ... 10974