Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10659 10660 [10661] 10662 10663 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12998096 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #159900 on: May 21, 2022, 11:17:07 pm »

Also, someone is grossly misusing the world land line.
A landline is defined, in my book, as a phone that doesn't need internet to work.
Note this fake landline phone DOES need an internet connection, and will thus not work during a power outage because the Internet Router will be unpowered.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159901 on: May 21, 2022, 11:52:45 pm »

Eh... that sounds like the modem might be plugging into a proper phone line, actually? ADSL line or somethin'. The phone might not need internet to work, it's just the house's 'net is using the same line. Certain sorts of internet work like that, they're still faster than dialup, but generally not great otherwise.

It'd probably still work without power, you just might have to run the line directly into the phone instead of through the router.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #159902 on: May 21, 2022, 11:57:25 pm »

Eh... that sounds like the modem might be plugging into a proper phone line, actually? ADSL line or somethin'. The phone might not need internet to work, it's just the house's 'net is using the same line. Certain sorts of internet work like that, they're still faster than dialup, but generally not great otherwise.

It'd probably still work without power, you just might have to run the line directly into the phone instead of through the router.
Eh, you're probably right.  I sorta remember it being like that pre-cable.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159903 on: May 22, 2022, 02:26:50 am »

Who gets a new landline in 2022.
I kind of did when my house got stuck by lightning a few weeks ago it killed the old lines and I had to run new ones.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #159904 on: May 22, 2022, 04:21:33 am »

Whether VOIP or old-school copper, a wired phone tends to be more comfortable to use as a phone (even the boxier corded units) and produce better voice quality than a cell phone. If your modem is hooked into a UPS as it should be (and many now come with an integrated UPS), it is very likely to stay up even in conditions that put one or more cell towers out of service.

This doesn't even factor in the people who live in terrain where providing enough towers for blanket coverage would be impractically expensive.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159905 on: May 23, 2022, 04:17:30 am »

This doesn't even factor in the people who live in terrain where providing enough towers for blanket coverage would be impractically expensive.
I'm pretty sure I live in one of those areas, but I don't think the terrain is the issue it's probably the people in charge of placing those towers not wanting to waste money on a bunch of poor farmers.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #159906 on: May 23, 2022, 11:04:01 am »

[brag]Seeing year goals of "read X books" (and not even that many) on this forum while living in a house with cabinets full of just books is pretty WTF-inducing. [/brag]
For more proper WTF, many of those books were brought from abroad, because apparently it was harder to find books in russian in soviet Ukraine than in neigboring countries. I didn't ask in detail, though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159907 on: May 23, 2022, 01:46:31 pm »

Some folks do indeed just not read all that much, for reasons from disinterest to exhaustion to logistics (I'd read a lot less/reread a lot more if it weren't for the internet, ferex, and it'd probably drive me up the wall). It's definitely a thing.

Not... not my thing, for all I've gone pretty much entirely digital due to it being so much less expensive and easier to use (I'm mildly obsessed with reading, not books -- the dread frumple cares not from whence the words flow mostly), but a thing. Different strokes, and all that. Some people read like they breath, some don't, and mostly that's okay.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #159908 on: May 24, 2022, 05:22:40 am »

I had to send an email to the BBC to let them know a glaring factual error in one of their articles that could have been corrected merely by looking at a couple of different Wikipedia page.

I feel silly for having done so, but holy shit Beeb, it’s not that hard to look up European soccer finals scores.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159909 on: May 24, 2022, 06:27:51 am »

Not that I play their games, but apparently EA is soliciting buyers - one of which is Disney (apparently Apple and Amazon are also in the bidding).

I suspect that for some bizarre reason nobody will consider such a purchase as anticompetitive.

I think Disney should not be allowed to buy any more companies.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159910 on: May 24, 2022, 06:32:27 am »

Why are EA looking for a buyer? I can’t imagine they need one given their penchant for releasing the same sports games every year.

Microsoft also bought ActiBlizz recently, they don’t need more either, and Amazon is Amazon.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #159911 on: May 24, 2022, 06:49:48 am »

Didn't EA just lose the FIFA  license?
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159912 on: May 24, 2022, 06:59:22 am »

They refused to renew it, though at a cool $1 billion for four years is probably a wise decision. They’re going to still be making football games, and FIFA will find someone else to do their branded stuff.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #159913 on: May 24, 2022, 07:03:47 am »

I heard that the broader market, and in particular the 'metaverse' and 'gaming' industries are expected to undergo a consolidation as people seek to streamline liquid distraction into your eyeballs and earballs and fingertips.

The recession risk, the risk of these snowballing media companies, etc.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159914 on: May 25, 2022, 01:58:33 am »

I wonder what it'll be like when all the big companies become one company.....
Pages: 1 ... 10659 10660 [10661] 10662 10663 ... 10973