Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10704 10705 [10706] 10707 10708 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13003547 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #160575 on: August 18, 2022, 11:12:48 am »

Ah yes because high society buys their drugs in a alleyway, and every dealer has direct ties to don corleone.

Please, advice me on where high society buys their ethical cocaine. Oh they still buy it from people who get it from Colombia? You don't say.

It turns out they just ask Jeeves and cocaine appears sometime later
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #160576 on: August 18, 2022, 11:13:55 am »

(Also, I couldn't care less even if the PM would've taken some drugs, which I don't believe is the case.)

Jokes aside, that is a really awful opinion. I want my politicians as sober and not indebted to organised crime as possible, please.

Thing is, people like being intoxicated/inebriated, no matter whether it's a "good" or "bad" (or illegal) thing. I'm willing to bet that most of the market for drugs is among regular working people (I know only a few people who claim they have never taken any kind of illegal substance in their lives). As long as it doesn't affect their ability to do their job/live their lives "properly", I don't see any problem.

Of course, organized crime is another thing entirely, and I agree with you on that one.

But that could be (somewhat) taken care of with some kind of sensible drug policies - prohibition clearly doesn't work and just causes more problems.

Ah yes because high society buys their drugs in a alleyway, and every dealer has direct ties to don corleone.

Yup. Plenty of dealers are not really tied to traditional organized crime these days. Especially with pot it's often "homegrown", and the chemicals people order from the net are not necessarily made in some mafia (or whatever) labs.

That said, I'm not really pro-drugs, but I'd like to see drug policies shift in a sensible direction and not something based on the hysteria of the 80s & 90s, which causes way more problems than it solves, imho.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #160577 on: August 18, 2022, 11:23:02 am »

Speaking of alcohol, Japan is worried it's youth aren't drinking enough.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/08/18/asia/japan-tax-alcohol-competition-intl-hnk/index.html

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160578 on: August 18, 2022, 11:28:48 am »

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/08/18/asia/japan-tax-alcohol-competition-intl-hnk/index.html
First they mock our avocado toast, then blame us for the avocado surplus, and now this??
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160579 on: August 18, 2022, 11:44:43 am »

you send your personal assistant, and if he gets caught, you know nothing and leave him in the dirt

just how hard you would have to fuck that up to be able to be blackmailed is unclear to me

unless the blackmailing pertains to ruining reputations in which case the snake is really biting it's tail isn't it

just please it's a trope that band tour busses have their supplier and none of the band members dirties their hand so they dont have to cancel concerts... now take the scandal for example where they found coke in the bundestag toilets... honestly more reasonable to assume they order together over lunch, than them sneaking around with little plastic balls

also coke is one of the rares that cannot be synthesized and it's a difficult plant, like any other example the ethically sourced snark doesn't even hold water
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 11:50:47 am by dragdeler »
let

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #160580 on: August 18, 2022, 11:54:14 am »

Perhaps Japan should import some peoples known for alcohol consumption.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160581 on: August 18, 2022, 11:57:56 am »

Just judging from the number of YouTube documentaries I've watched on Japan, it is in seriously dire straits. Getting the young people to drink might be a delusional attempt at fighting its rapid aging problem; like, they're trying to say "Please, young people, please please please stop holing yourselves up in your homes, stop avoiding eachother, go out and start partying, have sex, make babies, I don't care how you do it, Japan needs more kids. But of course, be sure to keep up your toxic social obligations, and stay at your toxic job that overworks you to death, cause we aren't going to change that."

Just from what I know, even though drinking is so baked into Japanese culture, the younger Japanese population has a lot of reason to despise the older generation that created them, and even if they had the money to indulge (which they don't) they'd probably rebel against the rampant alcoholism which is so stereotypical of the older Japanese population anyway.

Perhaps Japan should import some peoples known for alcohol consumption.

Despite it's many problems, the one thing that Japan earnestly wants to avoid at all costs is increasing immigration. It would seriously help their failing economy and declining population, but they just don't want foreigners moving in and being accepted as Japanese.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 11:59:52 am by JoshuaFH »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #160582 on: August 18, 2022, 12:37:02 pm »

you send your personal assistant, and if he gets caught, you know nothing and leave him in the dirt

just how hard you would have to fuck that up to be able to be blackmailed is unclear to me

unless the blackmailing pertains to ruining reputations in which case the snake is really biting it's tail isn't it

just please it's a trope that band tour busses have their supplier and none of the band members dirties their hand so they dont have to cancel concerts... now take the scandal for example where they found coke in the bundestag toilets... honestly more reasonable to assume they order together over lunch, than them sneaking around with little plastic balls

also coke is one of the rares that cannot be synthesized and it's a difficult plant, like any other example the ethically sourced snark doesn't even hold water

Do you not understand that it's the same drugs regardless of how many in-between assistants there is? And that no matter the amount of middlemen, the money still end up in the hands of very bas people?

Yup. Plenty of dealers are not really tied to traditional organized crime these days. Especially with pot it's often "homegrown", and the chemicals people order from the net are not necessarily made in some mafia (or whatever) labs.

You're fooling yourself if you think anyone producing enough anything to sell isn't connected to organised crime.
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160583 on: August 18, 2022, 01:04:23 pm »

That is only a near certitude in the case of cocaine.
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160584 on: August 18, 2022, 01:19:28 pm »

Even then... there is ways that spring to mind... I am absolutely fascinated by drugs and let me tell you, back when I was like 15, just by googling, I stumbled on a site where I could have ordered 1kg of fluorotropanecocaine in china, for about 4k, it was actually way cheaper than the synthetic cannabinoids I was "researching". The stuff is a way more potent local anesthesiant, find something suitable to cut it up so people don't kill themselves and who will know the difference?

There you have it: "cocaine" not sourced from that particular region in southamerica that is under the thumb of organised crime. Granted the factory owner who sold shit like that in the mid naughts is certainly of dubious ethics, and possibly linked to organised crime... All I'm trying to say is don't accuse me of lacking imagination  :P.
let

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #160585 on: August 18, 2022, 01:19:38 pm »

You're fooling yourself if you think anyone producing enough anything to sell isn't connected to organised crime.

No, I'm not. You'd be surprised how many people grow weed at home and sell it to get some extra income. But sure, when it comes to real big quantities and money, then it's bound to have connections to organized crime one way or the other - I'm not denying that (also depends on the drug in question). Much (most?) of drug abuse is also related to prescription drugs, which there's quite an abundance of on the streets.

ps. Also, what counts as organized crime in this context? Is it like something from the movies, biker gangs or what? It's not like organized crime is just one monolithic entity.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160586 on: August 18, 2022, 02:10:25 pm »

I'd say the strict definition is at least two people coordinating themselves to break the law in order to profit. But that also opens the door to considering all sorts of businesses and conglomerates as organised crime, something I'm quite content to leave standing as such in my worldview  ;D... Leads to all sorts of "based" analysis lol.

What I'm trying to take a stand against: since the substances are illegal isn't any plurality handling them "organised crime" by definition, no matter the intent? Sure sure we all know the mafia "when we see it", and nobody likes that stuff, no argument there. But you see where I'm getting at? because I'm having troubles putting it into words like... all the horifying abscesses of drug cartels etc are and extension and manifestation of capitalistic logic, and not of the drug. It's when a real demand, people willing to enrich themselves, and a legal barrier meet, that knees are gonna broken at 2am in the open street, else it's just a product in a shelf. But those "horifying abscesses" I mentionned, they all get projected onto the substances, and by transitive property to anybody handling them, and I think that's sillysauce.

Whatever I.. Those few rambling lines took me too long. I'm sad to notice I jumped at this discussion again, because I was at work. Like I was really mad about it, that's sillysauce too.
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #160587 on: August 19, 2022, 02:53:27 am »

Honestly, I'd much rather have a politician who openly parties and gets drunk than one who lies about partying and getting drunk.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #160588 on: August 19, 2022, 02:58:15 am »

Speaking of politicians lying, Australia had/have an interesting little controversy over the former PM secretly assigning himself not one, not two, but five other ministerial portfolios last year, citing worries over Covid.

Because obviously when you put in safety nets, they need to be secret safety nets oh wait those are spider webs..

Unsurprisingly he’s doubling down on this big time, saying he did nothing wrong and essentially that because nobody else has been PM in a crisis they don’t understand so aren’t allowed an opinion on the matter. I imagine he’s saying that because I don’t think anyone has a positive opinion on him secretly centralizing power.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160589 on: August 19, 2022, 04:06:57 am »

avocado toast
I still don't get why people like that stuff, I mean avocados are nasty.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 10704 10705 [10706] 10707 10708 ... 10974