Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10788 10789 [10790] 10791 10792 ... 10987

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13413899 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #161835 on: February 04, 2023, 06:03:50 am »

That's not true - there's compounds such as asbestos that won't burn no matter how much oxygen you pump in.

Add sufficient quantities of flourine on the other hand, it is a different story.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #161836 on: February 04, 2023, 07:15:55 am »

On the topic of asbestos and boats..
Brasil just sank an old aircraft carrier filled with waste like asbestos, paint, heavy metals and other toxic materials into the ocean, despite not only environmentalis activists, but even the Brasilian Public Prosecution service and the Brasilian Environmental Service Ibama speaking out against it.

The Brasilian navy claims there were no other options viable to get rid of the ship.

Brasil bought the 266m long vessel from France (which had been using it for 37 years) in 2000, for 12 million dollars.
A Turkish company bought the ship in 2021, to scrap it.
However, when it entered the Mediterranean waters, Turkey revoked it's permission.
When it then returned to Brasil, it wasn't allowed into any port, because of the huge environmental risks.
At that point, the Brasilian navy became responsible for the vessel.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 07:24:21 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161837 on: February 04, 2023, 07:23:07 am »

Legos are also surprisingly non-flammable, don't ask.
add enough oxygen to something and the fire will go from "mmm yes this is not fuel" to "mmmmm yummy incendiary concrete my favourite"
I don't think regular concrete would burn much even in pure oxygen atmosphere. Concrete is made by mixing a bunch of oxides, so it has nothing to burn into.
Oxides will not burn in pure oxygen.

Similarly fluorides will not burn in pure fluorine (though oxides will).
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161838 on: February 04, 2023, 06:05:18 pm »

Pretty sure I had my first ever diaphragm spasm. Laying down, breathed in and had a momentary intense pain in my upper stomach area.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161839 on: February 05, 2023, 02:14:44 am »

That's not true - there's compounds such as asbestos that won't burn no matter how much oxygen you pump in.
My god this asbestos stuff sounds like a miracle product, we should make everything out of it!

Also why can't we get it in Dwarf Fortress and make clothing out of it?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #161840 on: February 05, 2023, 06:31:25 am »

My god this asbestos stuff sounds like a miracle product, we should make everything out of it!
One of my friends once managed to find a newspaper cutting advertising asbestos cigarrette filters

Idk, maybe one day we'll be able to make asbestos fibres and turn cinnabar into barrels of mercury

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161841 on: February 05, 2023, 06:51:02 am »

Do you want asbestos underwear? It would protect from any dragon that is no larger than an elephant.

That being said, I think that Cotton Candy is already similar enough to asbestos.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 06:52:55 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #161842 on: February 05, 2023, 07:02:54 am »

Do you want asbestos underwear? It would protect from any dragon that is no larger than an elephant.

That being said, I think that Cotton Candy is already similar enough to asbestos.
Have you been exposed to adamantine fibres at home or in the workplace? Call Uman lawyers today for a free quote, as you might be entitled to compensation

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161843 on: February 05, 2023, 08:40:48 am »

Fun fact: In the classic movie The Wizard of Oz, the scene where the Good Witch saves the group from a poppy field by making it snow, the snow effect was actually powdered asbestos. Also, the actor who played the Scarecrow stuffed his costume with asbestos due to the scene where the Wicked Witch threatens him with fire.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #161844 on: February 05, 2023, 01:41:50 pm »

Gas masks used to have asbestos filters.

Then again... I dont know the particulars, but its worth noting  that if they had nothing better at the time, maybe the risk of future cancer was still lesser than the risk of immediate mustard gas.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #161845 on: February 05, 2023, 01:48:56 pm »

I mean, the Romans knew that lead wasn't 'safe' to make pipes out of, but it was a very economical choice for them.

Asbestos was a miracle compound, it just happened to have a few extra effects.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161846 on: February 05, 2023, 02:36:13 pm »

You know, it sucks that lead had so many useful properties, like being very resistant to rusting and erosion, so much so that people would rather just get fucking lead-poisoned rather than put in the work to replace non-lead pipes every now and again.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161847 on: February 05, 2023, 02:49:52 pm »

Under the right water conditions lead pipes are fine. Once a layer of scale forms (which is pretty fast depending on your water) there's little risk of lead poisoning unless you put something in that dissolves the scale and exposes raw lead/lead oxide.

For a pre-industrial society it's basically perfect. Not suited to the modern day, when pipes aren't just always running fresh water from a mountain spring or whatever, but they worked fine for their time when in the right places.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161848 on: February 05, 2023, 05:24:00 pm »

You know, it sucks that lead had so many useful properties, like being very resistant to rusting and erosion, so much so that people would rather just get fucking lead-poisoned rather than put in the work to replace non-lead pipes every now and again.

Same with mercury. Will dissolve plenty of other metals like zinc, gold, which is useful for extraction or metal catalysis. Mercury (II) oxide is itself a useful catalyst.

I mean, the Romans knew that lead wasn't 'safe' to make pipes out of, but it was a very economical choice for them.

Asbestos was a miracle compound, it just happened to have a few extra effects.

But how do you explain the putting lead in wine to make it sweeter?

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #161849 on: February 05, 2023, 07:22:36 pm »

We put all kinds of fun things into our drinks to make them more appealing.  Like cocaine into coke.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 10788 10789 [10790] 10791 10792 ... 10987