Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10813 10814 [10815] 10816 10817 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12995857 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162210 on: March 15, 2023, 09:13:54 pm »

PCs are like toilets. Flush them when you're done. Leaving things on for days and weeks and months is how shit gets fucky. I work in Tech Support. If more people shut their PCs down and applied updates and packages and just reset things more often, they'd call me less.
Ngl, after the fourth or fifth time I ended up having to roll back updates after M$ fucked something up (at least once, I got to do it without a functioning monitor or mouse, referring to a second computer to figure out what hotkeys to press to navigate the menus I couldn't see, which was an experience I may never forget), I started waiting for a few updates to build up before doing the reset/etc. dance on my personal comp. Still stay fairly on top of it, but... wait a day or two after one initially drops, y'know? Or a week, whatever.

Other than updates, though, it's either sleep or hibernate most of the time. I honestly just don't like dealing with the startup process, even with it being much faster than it's been most of my life on this new comp. Too many decades of that being when something substantial or irritating breaks, plus years and years of it just being (much) faster to sleep it or whatever. Old habit, shut down as little as possible to avoid all the problems that happens when turning it back on, heh.

... the work computer does get shut down daily, but I'm also not the tech support there, so the days I come in and it doesn't work due to the latest update going sideways I get to make it someone else's problem :D
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #162211 on: March 15, 2023, 10:18:51 pm »

I’ve had a bizarre hankering to watch Mind, Body, and Kick-Ass Moves, a docuseries from 2004 which was shown on BBC and presented by a Brummie martial artist called Chris Crudelli. Just him checking out some martial arts in East Asia and showing off some of the things he’d learned over the years. For some reason the only two things I remember about it where some Japanese sword-fighter who had figured out how to take steps without tensing muscles in his ankles (apparently a particularly knowledgeable opponent can tell when you’re going to make a move by that) and Crudelli himself basically standing up against a bunch of people trying to push him over.

Can’t find it anywhere to buy or stream and when I do find it it’s usually a region 2 DVD, which wouldn’t be the end of the world but is a hassle to get watching.

I would urge anyone with an interest in the area to give it a watch if they can, it was quite enjoyable.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162212 on: March 16, 2023, 03:01:46 am »

Someone dumped more shit at the local lake again, a beat up couch, some bits of wood, and a broken 200 watt solar panel, took the wood and the solar panel and I'm really hoping that salvage it or that I'm lucky and it's one of those double sided ones.

Still not sure why people think that place is a good spot to dump their shit.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #162213 on: March 16, 2023, 03:33:38 am »

I turn off my computer every night, but I'm glad my 4 windows with several hundred tabs come back  :P

This!

Jerma

Jerma sounds like the first part of an ligma or updog joke

Someone dumped more shit at the local lake again, a beat up couch, some bits of wood, and a broken 200 watt solar panel, took the wood and the solar panel and I'm really hoping that salvage it or that I'm lucky and it's one of those double sided ones.

Still not sure why people think that place is a good spot to dump their shit.

Ironically a single person's shit would not be too bad a thing to dump in a lake
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #162214 on: March 16, 2023, 12:43:18 pm »

My mom sends me a text message today:

"I had a home invasion. I'm too tired to talk about it now and need to go to sleep. I'm fine. The cops have finished their investigation outside the house. And the reporters beat them here."

I.......WHAT? There's no record on the police blotter of any calls on her street. Reporters? WTF is going on?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162215 on: March 16, 2023, 12:44:40 pm »

Uh, hopefully nothing major? Reporters generally don't get involved with home invasions unless there's something odd going on, though.
Ask not!
Ask!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162216 on: March 16, 2023, 07:07:19 pm »

Turns out it was a complete delusion brought on by alcohol intoxication, benadryl and sleep deprivation. I won't even go into the full story of what she believed happened during this home invasion. I'll just go with "a group of 10 people", "children", "30 dogs", "horses", and "a car with a deployable battering ram."

The neighbors say they saw or heard nothing happen all night.

As you can probably gather, my mother is not well mentally or physically.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #162217 on: March 16, 2023, 07:12:32 pm »

You ever have a bad dream that was so vivid you wake up believing it?  And then, in an attempt to remain calm, you convince yourself you'll get to it in the morning, only to realize that it was all a dream when you get to it?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162218 on: March 16, 2023, 07:15:43 pm »

Yeah, does seem so. I guess that's at least somewhat better than it actually having happened, though? Probably doesn't help your stress levels that much, but it's something.
Ask not!
Ask!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162219 on: March 16, 2023, 08:01:30 pm »

You ever have a bad dream that was so vivid you wake up believing it?  And then, in an attempt to remain calm, you convince yourself you'll get to it in the morning, only to realize that it was all a dream when you get to it?

Except that most stable people get to the point of realizing it was a dream. My mom still currently believes this happened, despite about 14 data points of why it cannot have possibly happened. That's the scary part.

Yeah, does seem so. I guess that's at least somewhat better than it actually having happened, though? Probably doesn't help your stress levels that much, but it's something.

No, not really. On top of her other issues, this is another indicator that my life is about to take another hard turn into more misery with her.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162220 on: March 16, 2023, 08:47:38 pm »

Best of luck, whatever comes of it.

That... does sound a lot like they're probably not fit to live unsupervised or rapidly won't be, though, which yeah, can be a huge disruption in the lives of anyone trying to step in, especially if they're in any area that lacks support structures for it (which is... most areas, sadly), and easily miserable for everyone else aware of the situation even if they're not the ones on the hook for care.

... wish I could offer something reassuring, but I'm basically winding down from trying to help with folks not even half that bad and it's basically ruined me as a human being, heh. Stress of it was pretty literally killing me (it's put me on blood pressure meds, which has at least started to stabilize, but...), and trying to make something out of the mess left over hasn't exactly been reassuring.
Ask not!
Ask!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162221 on: March 16, 2023, 10:19:04 pm »

I've been dealing with this for about 7 years now. Bouts of alcoholism of varying intensities, living in squalor and an almost total lack of self-care, injuries, car accidents, rushes to the hospital, fighting with hospital staff to get treatment, fixing her finances after she just completely fell down on managing her life, cleaning her house multiple times, trying to get her into a retirement home......this is just the latest in a string of signs that things are progressing to an even worse place.

I've already been through the ringer and had my life derailed multiple times by her. I'm glad no one actually invaded her home. But I'm just getting re-traumatized all over again, and will probably continue to until she gets into assisted living.....and hopefully can stay there instead of sabotaging that too. I love my mom but she has been a millstone around my neck for years, because she can be a deeply unlikable person at times that is hard to want to be around and who actively pushes people away even as she's making cries for help left and right. But she's also ornery and stubborn on top of it, because no one is going to tell her what to do even as the evidence sits right there in front of her that she's slowly destroying herself and her remaining relationships. As the only person that can provide real support to her, I'm at my wits end. I can't go to her because the state of her home and her appearance is deeply traumatizing to me, and she won't leave her house.

My brother and his wife are coming into town tomorrow, which we suspect is what triggered this. Because it's a commitment she knows she can't really avoid, unlike spending time with me. She always seems to go off the deep end when they come to town, it's happened multiple times in a row. We're all supposed to do something Saturday and my brother and I are both like "We can't make plans until Saturday because she may literally pivot from manic enthusiasm one day to being so drunk and ill she can't bring herself to see anyone the next."
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 10:42:22 pm by nenjin »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #162222 on: March 17, 2023, 03:43:33 pm »

Lance Reddick died :o
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #162223 on: March 17, 2023, 03:49:54 pm »

Lance Reddick died :o

I thought I recognised that name so I googled it and :(
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162224 on: March 17, 2023, 04:16:08 pm »

I didn't recognize it and similarly googled it, and I don't think I've ever seen them before. Only thing they performed in I think I might have seen was the '98 godzilla movie.

Rest in peace, though. 60 ain't young, but it ain't particularly old, either.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 10813 10814 [10815] 10816 10817 ... 10973