Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10815 10816 [10817] 10818 10819 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13138528 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162240 on: March 19, 2023, 02:03:46 am »

They're like sawn-off crickets, they are also bugs there for you should kill them since they're in your house.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162241 on: March 19, 2023, 06:49:59 am »

Nearly as complete an exercise in pointless futility as trying to kill all the bacteria in your house.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162242 on: March 19, 2023, 07:07:50 am »

They look like the sodding crickets from King Kong that attack the party when they're stuck in that chasm.

Fucking scene's horrifying man.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162243 on: March 19, 2023, 08:04:09 am »

Nearly as complete an exercise in pointless futility as trying to kill all the bacteria in your house.

I saw that Invader Zim episode.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #162244 on: March 19, 2023, 08:48:52 am »

They're like sawn-off crickets, they are also bugs there for you should kill them since they're in your house.

i'm wondering if fighting bugs and moving dirt is the best way to make a living

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162245 on: March 19, 2023, 09:10:10 am »

When the bugs start to feel like family, you know it's time to quit.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162246 on: March 19, 2023, 09:43:16 am »

"I'm going to call you Steeve"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #162247 on: March 19, 2023, 09:47:40 am »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162248 on: March 19, 2023, 11:00:16 am »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162249 on: March 19, 2023, 11:04:27 am »

"I'm going to call you Steeve"

You make this team really wholesome!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #162252 on: March 20, 2023, 12:16:20 am »

Cannes, France, 20 June 2022 – UN Women and the Unstereotype Alliance, an industry-led coalition convened by UN Women to eradicate harmful stereotypes in advertising, today launched “The Levers of Change: Gender Equality Attitudes Study 2022, the latest iteration of a bi-annual global study that tracks attitudes towards gender. The 20-country-wide survey shows that some antiquated views of gender have been exacerbated during the COVID-19 pandemic. The study, developed under the leadership of UN Women in partnership with Johnson & Johnson, Kantar, Procter & Gamble and Unilever,

Kantar's a data analysis company, the rest make beauty products. The beauty industry has had an increasingly strong connection to women's activism in the last 20 years or so because it has proved to be an incredibly effective marketing tool.

But gee, doesn't the beauty industry benefit from gender inequality?
And if you read the article, one of 'em stated in glowing terms that "over half of our ad campaigns are considered progressive".
... what does that make their remaining ads?

The fact that the beauty industry that caters, manipulates, and profits off women are the key sponsors, instead of, I dunno, the auto industry, or even the entertainment industry, speaks volumes.

*Deep breath*
But hey, at least someone is funding the research and the PR.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #162253 on: March 20, 2023, 02:03:45 am »

They benefit to some degree from the beauty culture that was produced by said inequality. Even that, however, overstates the case. While women do have a strong "look good" acculturation, that isn't inherently an obsolete "your only value is getting a man" concept, and the beauty companies make a mint off of "look good and feel good for YOU" campaigns. They're also making a ton of money on a rising "men need to look good too" market that is only boosted by eroding the cultural inequalities - erasing the cultural concept that moisturizers and nice soaps and hair dye and... are "silly girl things" is a key part to getting men to buy them.

This is fundamentally a good thing. Cold cash is a much better motivation to push companies in the right direction than feel-good campaigns that vanish in the wind as soon as whatever scandal you're trying to bury goes away.

And if you read the article, one of 'em stated in glowing terms that "over half of our ad campaigns are considered progressive".

This isn't a two-spot axis - "neutral" is a position, "not considered particularly possessive" =/= "regressive".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #162254 on: March 20, 2023, 02:29:13 am »

The fact that the beauty industry that caters, manipulates, and profits off women are the key sponsors, instead of, I dunno, the auto industry, or even the entertainment industry, speaks volumes.
The fact that massive multinational beauty corps are supporting this seems to suggest that no, they don't actually benefit from gender inequality.

Which makes sense. After all, woman buy the vast majority of beauty products, so the more money you give them the more beauty products they will buy.
Not only this, but even if they aren't working more equal gender roles mean they would have more power in their household, and thus be able to take a larger portion of the household money to spend on making themselves look pretty.

What they *do* benefit from is promoting unrealistic standards of beauty which drives young girls to suicide and leaving many others with permanently damaged self esteem.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 10815 10816 [10817] 10818 10819 ... 10980