Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10816 10817 [10818] 10819 10820 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12996514 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162255 on: March 20, 2023, 04:31:57 am »

But gee, doesn't the beauty industry benefit from gender inequality?
They benefit to some degree from the beauty culture that was produced by said inequality. Even that, however, overstates the case. While women do have a strong "look good" acculturation, that isn't inherently an obsolete "your only value is getting a man" concept, and the beauty companies make a mint off of "look good and feel good for YOU" campaigns.

Those words are just cover, though. "Looking good for yourself" isn't actually a thing. People want to look good for others. This isn't just women. There's no difference for men in this matter (only a difference in how they act on it). Men aren't spending half an hour every day making their hair look the perfect "just got out of bed no care in the world" ruffle and giving themselves the perfect mm length shadow stubble, clean shave, or beard prune because it makes themselves feel good. They do it because they want others to think they look good.

The whole "look good to feel good yourself" is a "pro-women" "empowering" facade that, behind the mask, just plays on the same old biases and norms that they've always made money off. It's a masquerade that allows companies to claim that they feminist and activist, nothing else.

And sure, it's very effective, both financially and rethorically. By appropriating the language of empowerment, they can also claim that people who see through the ruse want to disempower women and are anti-feminist. Now, isn't of just making people feel guilty for not looking good enough, they can also guilt those doesn't buy into the "good looks for myself" narrative for not feeling empowered by trying to look good for others. Guilt if you do, guilt if you don't.
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162256 on: March 20, 2023, 05:15:23 am »

Men aren't spending half an hour every day making their hair look the perfect "just got out of bed no care in the world" ruffle and giving themselves the perfect mm length shadow stubble, clean shave, or beard prune because it makes themselves feel good. They do it because they want others to think they look good.
Counterargument: you live in metrosexual hedonistic consumerist corporate-ruled dystopia. Real men don't wash or shave and gain status by ritualistically beating each other's faces to a pulp.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162257 on: March 20, 2023, 06:27:33 am »

Men aren't spending half an hour every day making their hair look the perfect "just got out of bed no care in the world" ruffle and giving themselves the perfect mm length shadow stubble, clean shave, or beard prune because it makes themselves feel good. They do it because they want others to think they look good.
Counterargument: you live in metrosexual hedonistic consumerist corporate-ruled dystopia. Real men don't wash or shave and gain status by ritualistically beating each other's faces to a pulp.
Yes, and, where I come from, women also do that.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162258 on: March 20, 2023, 07:04:01 am »

Seriously? How then can you know it's a woman if she doesn't shave?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #162259 on: March 20, 2023, 07:23:04 am »

Seriously? How then can you know it's a woman if she doesn't shave?
You might find this hard to believe but in many countries women do not in fact have bushlike facial hair. Crazy I know.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162260 on: March 20, 2023, 07:33:43 am »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #162262 on: March 20, 2023, 08:55:03 am »

AI voice generation is so amazing.  Now Shadow really is the edge
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #162263 on: March 20, 2023, 10:45:36 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
DON'T LISTEN TO THE HATERS
DON'T LISTEN TO ONDORE'S LIES!

i like to look good to make myself feel good, and i'm a dude idk

sometimes i put my earrings in for me when i'm not going out and i take care of my hair daily, typically after i'm required to be visible for work, or i'll put on real pants and not pajama pants

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162264 on: March 20, 2023, 11:47:55 am »

Hey, I wash!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #162265 on: March 20, 2023, 11:56:44 am »

..... in the blood of your enemies doesn't count, MZ.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #162266 on: March 20, 2023, 01:25:19 pm »

I mean…I’m sitting here getting color put in my hair for the first time in my life because I’ve always wanted green hair since I was a kid. I’m doing it for myself, fo reals. Does that make me less manly?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #162267 on: March 20, 2023, 01:29:20 pm »

I mean…I’m sitting here getting color put in my hair for the first time in my life because I’ve always wanted green hair since I was a kid. I’m doing it for myself, fo reals. Does that make me less manly?
Yes, because it makes you more orky

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162268 on: March 20, 2023, 01:36:46 pm »

This is great, I bet it's gonna grow old real quick to you, bald nenjin in less than a year :D. But you got to do what you got to do, I can respect that.

I'd say that for most people unconcerned with their looks, there is at least a level of "this is comfortable to me", few people truely don't mind poor mouth hygiene, or having their hair fall constantly into their eyes, or to have a greasy beard after eating or whatever, hairs that grow in the nose and tickle you... Annoying shit like that... They're mostly good once that's settled, confidence is at it's default level.

The thing with going beyond that... I also don't truely believe one does that for oneself, I will allways see it through the lens of: you might even have convinced yourself that you like to look good to please yourself, but practically in daily life, you're not constantly in front of mirror (oh well maybe smartphones changed that a bit) so the primary source of validation for your looks remains the people around you.
let

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #162269 on: March 20, 2023, 02:17:29 pm »

No wai, imma be anime af and love it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 10816 10817 [10818] 10819 10820 ... 10973