Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10824 10825 [10826] 10827 10828 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13146210 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162375 on: March 30, 2023, 01:46:06 am »

I'm still not sure I understand, even conceptually, how discussions about developing for, or playing, a game can result in such heated conversation.  I mean is it like tabs-vs-spaces fistfights?  Or stuff about the game content?
tl;dr there is a split between those who want a more classic roguelike focus and those who want a more simulationist survival game, the former group split off a few years ago to make their own fork with said focus while the bulk of players and contributors stays with the original, there's quite a bit of a back-and-forth going on between the camps. And random other drama like people getting kicked out of the dev team and whether it's justified or not. Honestly I think it's kinda pointless and just exhausting.

Not sure if it's a good idea to discuss here given 3 threads got locked over this yesterday. If you want me to explain more, PM me. I have insider knowledge.
You're forgetting about how much drama there was even before the split, and it's been all kinds of shit over the years, developers bumping heads, Lazy cat/Diverman, developers adding doing things that the community didn't like, and all the half asses bits of the game that never got finished, and various other smaller things. But all in all I don't get how there can be so much drama with one damn game.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162376 on: March 30, 2023, 11:29:16 am »

From what I’ve seen, open-source game development in general seems to be a drama magnet. Though never as heated as Cataclysm, dungeon crawl stone soup had a lot of people complaining due to its tendency to remove features, increase difficulty and shorten game length every few updates.

Eventually the complainers left or stuck to older versions and the game isn’t talked about anymore.

As sad as the drama is, it’s good that Cataclysm is still being talked about in some shape or form. It shows that people are still passionate about the project.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #162377 on: March 30, 2023, 11:44:13 am »

Let's hope the brushfire that is C:DDA discussions doesn't catch in this thread too.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162378 on: March 30, 2023, 12:04:57 pm »

Let's hope the brushfire that is C:DDA discussions doesn't catch in this thread too.

First of all, you all are idiots and this, this, and that is why... Secondly, eat my shorts...
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162379 on: March 30, 2023, 12:37:09 pm »

From what I’ve seen, open-source game development in general seems to be a drama magnet.
Honestly, it seems like game development period is? The difference between open-source and not is that the former is pretty much per-force open to the public, whereas the latter's mess often happens more behind closed (and courtroom >_>) doors.

I'd probably lay good bets it's actually worse in private development where we mostly can't see it, just due to how staggeringly toxic the work environments are in a lot of studios. Between corporate, crunch, and often low pay, you got a sewage pool of neurosis stewing. There is no way in hell that doesn't cause massive amounts of drama.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162380 on: March 30, 2023, 01:06:59 pm »

Plus open-source development has a more level playing field between developers and they, being volunteers, have more room to air their frustrations.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162381 on: March 30, 2023, 02:05:07 pm »

A pleasant WTF: I have only gotten 2 spam emails in the past 24 hours.  Maybe they are using ChatGPT to filter them?  Or some servers have gone offline?

Either way, a nice surprise, while it lasts!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162382 on: March 30, 2023, 03:23:33 pm »

I am logged into my hotmail, apparently there are lots of attempted logins from the US and Russia, luckily since I'm logged in they can't be, I hope, I only use it for Minecraft PE and the Microsoft Learning modules, they have one for C# which was neat, now to figue out how to make my Powershell run a .cs program. Should I sepearate the topics here via line breaks?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162383 on: March 30, 2023, 03:34:03 pm »

I am logged into my hotmail, apparently there are lots of attempted logins from the US and Russia, luckily since I'm logged in they can't be, I hope, I only use it for Minecraft PE and the Microsoft Learning modules, they have one for C# which was neat, now to figue out how to make my Powershell run a .cs program. Should I sepearate the topics here via line breaks?

guess who's back

back again

guess who's back

tell a friend

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162384 on: March 30, 2023, 03:39:12 pm »

Nature, uh, finds a way.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162385 on: March 30, 2023, 03:39:58 pm »

guess who's back

back again

guess who's back

tell a friend
Reading this made me smile, I'll copy/quote this for the Happiness thread

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162386 on: March 30, 2023, 03:40:31 pm »

Nature, uh, finds a way.
+1 Goldblum!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162387 on: March 30, 2023, 05:43:17 pm »

Nature, uh, finds a way.

Sure she did!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #162388 on: March 30, 2023, 07:32:27 pm »

Now let's just hope she doesn't find out about that whole red in tooth and claw thing...
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162389 on: March 31, 2023, 04:30:27 am »

She has returned to us!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 10824 10825 [10826] 10827 10828 ... 10980