Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Learning to use Flash  (Read 531 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Learning to use Flash
« on: October 19, 2010, 04:23:46 pm »

I want to learn how to use flash to make things.  Has anyone else learned how to use flash, and is it difficult?  Did it cost a lot to buy flash? :O

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: Learning to use Flash
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 04:44:08 pm »

Buying Adobe Flash presumably costs a bucketload, like everything else Adobe; there are, of course alternatives.

I'll be learning Flash next year as part of one of my school subjects.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 04:47:27 pm »

I played around with it... over a week or so, I learned the basics of flash scripting and vector art, how to do simple tweening animations, and how to pair them with sound tracks. I was using a friend's copy, though, and never purchased it, since it does indeed cost a bucketload.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 05:19:51 pm »

Become a student, buy Web CS5 for anywhere from $90 to $300, which will come with the full version of Adobe Flash (and CS5 onwards is licensed so that you can use the Student versions - which are fully featured - for paid work).

Or if you want to just code in Actionscript (for games and the like), download FlashDevelop (which is free) and head over to Flash Game Dojo to pick up a whole stack of useful snippets about flash gamedev, and libraries such as Flixel and Flashpunk.

I can't remember if FlashDevelop has the normal timeline and vector drawing stuff, it might.

e: Nope, it's a pure Actionscript IDE.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 05:23:40 pm by Dasleah »
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 05:33:59 pm »

Flash can be very expensive. As has been said there are student discounts and what not.
First thing you need to figure out is if you are going to be interested mainly in animation type stuff or Action Script type stuff.
If you are going to do AS you probably want the newest version of flash.

I learned AS3 over the course of a couple months basically by scouring the web for tutorials and making heavy use of reference material which is available online for free.

However, if you are someone who needs to be told what to do and kept on task by a teacher, well then take a class because it takes a lot of practice and discipline to do it on your own.

(The animation aspects are much more simple than the programming bits, but obviously you'd need to have the drive to learn animation basics and develop your creative abilities to do anything interesting.)