Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Adamantine Pillar?  (Read 13807 times)

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adamantine Pillar?
« on: October 23, 2010, 11:56:57 pm »

I just embarked to a new location, and found a hollow pillar of adamantine sticking up out of the ground and into the sky. This scares me, as I can see clear down to Z-level 100 down this shaft. {u} determines that the demons have NOT yet been released, so I assume that I have to dig the pillar low enough to be able to see HFS, but I'm still scared... has anyone ever seen this happen before?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Pillar?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 12:02:57 am »

Yes. It was called the "Adamantine Space Elevator" or something like that. I think you won't be able to dig at all on this embark, either.

ETA: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61507.0
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 12:05:04 am by proxn_punkd »

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 12:10:16 am »

Lucky bastard!

Even if he can't dig it, he can still engrave it. Smooth it all!
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 12:19:55 am »

How many is that now, four or five plus the magma mountains?

And those are just the documented ones. There's probably plenty of DF players who've never touched these forums.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 12:20:54 am »

Dug into it a bit and didn't get a warning about demons yet. I think I'm gonna drop a few dozen Z-levels and seal off the floor so I can't see further down.

Unlike the "space elevator" my spire stops a few Z-levels up at the level of the highest nearby hill, although the pillar itself is freestanding.

Boes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 09:22:21 am »

any chance you would be willing to upload the save to dffd?   either way,  sounds like you have a fun embark location
Life has a 100% mortality rate.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 11:57:10 am »

any chance you would be willing to upload the save to dffd?   either way,  sounds like you have a fun embark location
Ask and ye shall receive!

Boes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 12:23:16 pm »

Thanks alot
Life has a 100% mortality rate.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 12:53:40 pm »

Don't mind the weird dwarf names. This was supposed to be for a LP on a small forum I frequent. What are the chances that I would get this when I finally start the LP? Gonna be a fun story.  :D

Edit: For the record, I test-mined it down to about z-level 50 without releasing HFS, so that's nearly 100 levels of accessible adamantine.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 03:52:38 pm »

Yes. It was called the "Adamantine Space Elevator" or something like that. I think you won't be able to dig at all on this embark, either.

ETA: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61507.0
He should be able to dig after he gets population to 20. It works on the other pillars.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 03:57:41 pm »

I could dig with no problems. Looks like I didn't run into the bug the others had?

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 04:14:27 pm »

How do people keep finding these awesome worldgens! WHAT IS YOUR SECRET. ARE YOU A WIZARD?

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 04:20:58 pm »

I'm still wanting to find a volcano in a survivable location. =/

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 08:21:31 pm »

I'm still wanting to find a volcano in a survivable location. =/

I have a volcano next to a small river in the genesis mod, with only a friendly dwarf civ nearby.  It's kind of boring.  I'm already starting something else.  I'll go back to it eventually and probably make it my first fort to try and breach HFS.  I didn't copy any saves of it before setting to work, though.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 02:02:10 am »

I would be happy if I ever would find an embark location with at least any adamantine or any clowns. :(
Pages: [1] 2 3