Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Adamantine Pillar?  (Read 13809 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Pillar?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 06:54:17 am »

I would be happy if I ever would find an embark location with at least any adamantine or any clowns. :(
You mean, period...?

It's easy in modern versions.  Here, I'll tell you the secret.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 06:56:01 am »

I have done so. Smallest possible embark (without any modifications) and digged to the bottom and cleared some z-layers above. Only SMR. Nothing more. :(

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 07:03:25 am »

You should still have adamantine on most maps, unless you deleted it from the raws.

Theres like a 70% chance (Rough guess) of having adamantine on a 2x2 embark, so I don't quite know why you can't get any.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 07:14:23 am »

You should still have adamantine on most maps, unless you deleted it from the raws.

Theres like a 70% chance (Rough guess) of having adamantine on a 2x2 embark, so I don't quite know why you can't get any.

This might be another face of the "adamantine spire" bug, where some spires are nonexistent or way too deep to reach, provided that some Z-coordinates were messed up the other way in it's generation.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 03:27:18 pm »

I have done so. Smallest possible embark (without any modifications) and digged to the bottom and cleared some z-layers above. Only SMR. Nothing more. :(
Smallest possible is 2x2.  You need 3x3 to guarantee it.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 04:07:40 pm »

What about 1x4?

And seriously, wtf are clowns? HFS?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 05:02:41 pm »

What about 1x4?

Clowns are what you see when you buy some cotton candy and go to the circus.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 10:40:07 pm »

What about 1x4?

Gotta be 4x4, I think.  You're guaranteed to have at least one opening in every 4x4 area of the map.  Other shapes won't ensure it (though obviously anything that includes a 4x4 area will.)  A 3x3 area gives you, I think, about a 1/3 chance.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 11:57:45 pm »

Has to be more than that. At least 50%, more if it's possible to get more than one spire in a 4x4.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 03:33:30 am »

*sigh* new world it is then. :(

This was my second (small embark) fortress that has no HFS. This is getting annoying. Well, having no cotton candy and having a mayor AND baron who demand cotton candy items is a tantrum spiral guarantee... or a magma bath. Whatever comes fast... Perhaps the next fortress will have more luck.

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 05:00:32 am »

HFS seems to be "Hidden Fun Stuff". Although I'm not sure whether this is just a general term or describing something specific.
I second the question about the "Clowns", and add another term I have not jet groked: "Cotton Candy".
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 05:16:06 am »

Only read the spoiler if you really are read to be spoiled. I recommend NOT to read it. Just ignore those words if you don't know their meaning. Learning them the hard way is way more depressing fun.

*sigh* I warned you...

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 06:18:13 am »

*sigh* I warned you...
I was asking for it. And it about matched what I suspected.
But why Clowns? Just because they lead to "Fun" in the DF sense?
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 08:04:34 am »

Because when there are clowns there is cotton candy. And clowns come from the circus and teach you fun. But to be honest at least since Steven King's "It" no one likes clowns. They are as scary as hell! :D

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2010, 03:24:57 pm »

I'm still wanting to find a volcano in a survivable location. =/

Design a new world using advanced paramaters.  Reduce the number of mountain peaks, and multiply the number of volcanos by at least 10.  I use 30 volcanos for a medium map.  Go through your map, and examine the areas around the volcanos.  Look for ones near streams, preferably with sedimentary layers nearby. 

Here's the starting location I just generated:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3341
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!
Pages: 1 [2] 3