Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Adamantine Pillar?  (Read 13812 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Pillar?
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 04:34:14 pm »

What about 1x4?

And seriously, wtf are clowns? HFS?
Gotta be 4x4, I think.  You're guaranteed to have at least one opening in every 4x4 area of the map.  Other shapes won't ensure it (though obviously anything that includes a 4x4 area will.)  A 3x3 area gives you, I think, about a 1/3 chance.
Has to be more than that. At least 50%, more if it's possible to get more than one spire in a 4x4.

The areas that adamantine pipes are generated in are 2x2, not 4x4. I average four veins on a 4x4 map.

Also, 1x4 embarks are impossible without nanofort.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 05:43:01 pm »

What about 1x4?

And seriously, wtf are clowns? HFS?
Gotta be 4x4, I think.  You're guaranteed to have at least one opening in every 4x4 area of the map.  Other shapes won't ensure it (though obviously anything that includes a 4x4 area will.)  A 3x3 area gives you, I think, about a 1/3 chance.

No.  Word of Toady, and supported by all the careful research I've seen so far, is that there is one blue spire generated in every 2x2 embark grid, randomly placed amongst the four embark squares.  Every 16x16 region square therefore has exactly 64 blue (and one special HFS).  A 2x2 embark aligned to the grid will have exactly one blue spire.  A 2x2 embark offset may have as few as none or as many as four blue spires.  Over all the possible configurations of 2x2 embarks, your odds are as follows (rounded): zero blue, 20.4%; one blue, 60.6%, two blue, 17.8%, three blue, 1.8%, four blue, 0.1%, with an average (not surprisingly) of one blue; you also have a chance of special HFS of about 1.6%. 

A 3x3 is guaranteed (barring serious program bugs) to have at least one blue, has an average of 2.25 blue, and a max of four blue, with a special HFS chance of about 3.5%.  An unaligned 4x4 still has a minimum of one blue, but an average of four blue, and a max of nine blue; with special HFS chance of about 6.3%; aligning it with the grid gives you exactly four blue.  Moving up to a 5x5 increases the minimum blue to four, with an average of 6.25 and a max still of nine; the special HFS chance is 9.8%.  If you're planning one making the HFS a major part of your fortress and don't cheat with reveal, an aligned 4x4 is the smallest you can generate that is guaranteed to have multiple blue (and therefore a high chance of multiple entrances, reducing the risk that one of the spires will not be traversable). 

Odd sizes are not recommended, they may still have various bugs associated with them.  In any case, your minimum blue is controlled by the *smallest* dimension; a 1xN / Nx1 or unaligned 2xN / Nx2 can have as little as zero blue.  To guarantee at least one blue, you need the smallest dimension to either be 2 and aligned with the grid, or 3. 

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2010, 02:52:10 pm »

*sigh* I warned you...
I was asking for it. And it about matched what I suspected.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But why Clowns? Just because they lead to "Fun" in the DF sense?
No, there's another reason.  Did you play the older versions?  It has to do with that.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2010, 02:56:05 pm »

I'm still wanting to find a volcano in a survivable location. =/
One of my previous games had a brook and a volcano next to each other. When I mean next, I mean next. There was no embark tiles separating the two.
My current one is great, though.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2010, 03:27:24 pm »

1)make the minimium valcanism 25
2)then make the minimum number of volcanoes 25
3)???
4)PROFIT!
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2010, 03:33:44 pm »

1)make the minimium valcanism 25
2)then make the minimum number of volcanoes 25
3)???
4)PROFIT!
5) Infinite number of failed world generations!
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."
Pages: 1 2 [3]