Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Will we defend the Toady?  (Read 37682 times)

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Will we defend the Toady?
« Reply #180 on: November 11, 2010, 09:45:15 pm »

TOADS FOR THE TOAD GOD
CODE FOR THE CODE THRONE

Sigg'd. (Also dunno why, but in this case I hear Indrik Boreale's voice saying it)

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 11, 2010, 11:32:53 pm »

TOADS FOR THE TOAD GOD
CODE FOR THE CODE THRONE

Sigg'd. (Also dunno why, but in this case I hear Indrik Boreale's voice saying it)
SIGS FOR THE SIG GOD
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2010, 11:47:08 pm »

TOADS FOR THE TOAD GOD
CODE FOR THE CODE THRONE

SIGS FOR THE SIG GOD
PYRAMIDS FOR THE PYRAMID GOD
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 12, 2010, 11:48:42 am »

TOADS FOR THE TOAD GOD
CODE FOR THE CODE THRONE

SIGS FOR THE SIG GOD
PYRAMIDS FOR THE PYRAMID GOD
QUOTES FOR THE QUOTE THRONE.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 12, 2010, 11:56:07 am »

Well, I don't read pop culture books. The more esoteric the better. Ever heard of Ayn Rand? No. Broaden your horizons people!
I have never heard of Ayn Rand mentioned in a situation where a broader horizon that contains that particular author would be positive. Actually, it's generally the opposite.

Thanks for answering your own question though.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 12, 2010, 03:11:05 pm »

Ayn Rand..
Seriously?

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 12, 2010, 03:28:59 pm »

I have never heard of Ayn Rand mentioned in a situation where a broader horizon that contains that particular author would be positive. Actually, it's generally the opposite.

Thanks for answering your own question though.

To be fair, Rapture was pretty amazing before it went to hell.  Of course, an understanding of Objectivism is always helpful when arguing with its legitimate supporters for or against it (against Randroids, it's a moot point).
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 12, 2010, 07:11:01 pm »

Obviusly there are those who refuse to discuss it in a reasonable manner, but there are those who believe in every philosophy. Whenever I try to have a reasonable debate over philosophy at school it ends with me being called fascist or just screamed at, like this:

http://www.thenoseonyourface.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/islamic-rage-boy-head-only.jpg
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 13, 2010, 09:32:45 am »

To be fair, Rapture was pretty amazing before it went to hell.  Of course, an understanding of Objectivism is always helpful when arguing with its legitimate supporters for or against it (against Randroids, it's a moot point).
And so you'd say that people referencing that book with Ayn Rand's name being a way to broadening horizons wouldn't be an attempt at a deliberate "I'm better than you!" kind of statement, and might actually broaden a horizon rather than find a convenient scapegoat for their own problems?

Maybe I've just been getting the wrong kind of views of this here, but people like Zrk2 don't help the case at all.
"Ever hear of hearing? No, clearly not, as your ears are sitting 1/3rd too low for my sense of aesthetics. Grow a digital head so you can scream at people then people!"
It just makes no sense. Maybe I do need my horizons broadened to better understand this point of view. Got any good suggestions? Already read Rand's books, they didn't do it.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 13, 2010, 12:26:29 pm »

Ok, my bad, I forgot what the DF community was like, I was thinking of what most other people I know are like. My apologies.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 13, 2010, 01:46:07 pm »

The thing is, Ayn Rand is pretty much required reading nowadays. Ayn Rand is also the required "Have you read this? No? You suck." subject. So, you want me to lessen my horizons?

If you want a real fringe author, read Piers Anthony. Wonderful books, if slightly creepy.

Same effect.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 13, 2010, 03:33:28 pm »

You win the fringe author debate.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 14, 2010, 09:04:38 am »

Piers is Fringe?
I always thought of him as pretty mainstream and an example of a successful author.

Some of his books are a little creepy though... Maybe even more than a little in some cases.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 14, 2010, 09:17:56 am »

Piers is Fringe?
I always thought of him as pretty mainstream and an example of a successful author.

Some of his books are a little creepy though... Maybe even more than a little in some cases.

My point exactly.

And yes they are rather creeperish. TvTropes agrees with me on that. As does this.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 15, 2010, 04:02:13 pm »

Well, I'm the most elitist any way

*bump*
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16