Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: Will we defend the Toady?  (Read 38194 times)

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will we defend the Toady?
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2010, 04:54:31 am »

These are adults (Notch and Toady), with adult dispositions.  They make decent enough money it seems like, and apparently it's something they like doing.

Honestly, I'd rather see Toady hunt down every piece of anything that has even a bit of Dwarf Fortress code on it and throw it all, laughing, into a pit of boiling magma than have him give in to fan pressure or any kind of childish behavior.

The way I understand it, since this is basically Toady's project for Toady, and he wants to do what he wants to do with it, he knows better than to make it a commercial game.  This way, his hands are free, because nobody loses anything if he doesn't make the game the way some individual or group of persons feels it ought to be done.

That also probably explains why the fanbase for DF is a little more.. philosophical in their insanity compared to Minecraft.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

jvempire

• Bay Watcher
  • Row Row, Fight da British
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2010, 10:34:45 pm »

I would risk my life for a videogame developer, cus I'm a hardcore fan. (toady if u readin this i love u!!!!!)

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2010, 07:12:10 am »

Honestly, the DDOS on Minecraft seems a bit too... convenient to me.  I'm going to kick into paranoid conspiracy theory time here.

Notch has, for some time, fairly regularly released at least 1 to 2 updates per week, one which was special (Secret Fridays), and usually one on Monday or Tuesday to fix whatever got broken.  He eventually basically laxed off on that, eventually releasing less, until he basically stopped a couple weeks before announcing the Halloween update.  My personal theory here is he was just feeling like not working, but didn't want to say that, so he just knocked off work and did some of the work getting the company going.

Now, for the Halloween update, he had at least half of it done within like a week, since then it's been polishing, except for a bit (By his own admission, biomes are basically just slight modifications of the code he had when he kept "missing" the Secret Friday deadlines for it, at least last time I checked).  So, what's my conspiracy theory, you might ask?  Why, simple!  Notch disabled his own servers and termed it a DDOS, in order to buy himself time and seem more busy, thereby keeping people from begging him to release early, as well as a possible excuse should he "somehow" miss the current hard deadline of Oct. 31.

Now, for me, I know he's gonna miss release dates, I've sorta lost any real faith in Notch since he released things like milk (Still useless), chicken eggs (Still useless), a compass that only points home, SMP, etc.  So I'm not really bothered by him missing dates.  But for people who think he's some kinda living god, or for people who thought every update he made was completely perfect, those people are going to be get emotional about his remissions.  The people who get used to the updates will get angry, and the people who think he's god will claim that he's perfect and absolutely must be making the best update ever.  This leads to a huge powder keg, liable to explode at any moment.  You can see it every day on their forums, someone makes any kind of suggestion, and all the fans come out the woodwork to eat him alive about how Notch and Minecraft are perfect, or people posting angry threads about upcoming changes.  Frankly, I can't stand the place, especially when compared to a place like the Bay 12 Forums.

Comparing the Minecraft community with the Dwarves found here, is like comparing fans of Halo with appreciators of fine wine.  Sure, Halo might be alright on it's own, but the people who worship it are the problem, while we sit around and laugh, drinking and preparing to take over the world, stepping over the broken skulls of our enemies with our stubby little legs.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2010, 07:33:15 am »

I must say, however, that the DF suggestions forum can get the same types of people talking about Toady and DF. People who think an idea's crap and shouldn't ever be done (nothing's out of the question in DF, though. everything's "not yet"), and people arguing over the use of toady's time.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2010, 12:32:07 pm »

I must say, however, that the DF suggestions forum can get the same types of people talking about Toady and DF. People who think an idea's crap and shouldn't ever be done (nothing's out of the question in DF, though. everything's "not yet"), and people arguing over the use of toady's time.
This. Except poop. Poop is ALWAYS out of the question.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2010, 12:44:01 pm »

I second this. The DF suggestion board is the closest thing we have to the Minecraft forums around here. It's extremely hard to make a suggestion because

1) If anyone's suggested it ever before, even several months ago, and you sound like you didn't know that, you will be told that your topic is unnecessary and a waste of time. Also, you should use the search function, dangit.
2) If it brushes any of the people who seem to hover over those forums the wrong way (there seem to be a couple of them), get ready for an exploding powder keg party!  :D
3) For some reason, a lot of people enjoy almost every part of DF exactly the way it is, even though the creator and main (only) programmer seems to be all about moving forward with new ideas  ???

But this is not the "hate on the suggestion forum forum". This is about the silliness of ironic attacks on very diligent programmers by whiny pricks who found some scripts and call themselves "hackers".
I don't think that's ever going to happen around here.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2010, 01:02:00 pm »

There's a suggestions forum?

EDIT: Oh, there it is.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2010, 03:15:13 pm »

It really is sickening, I quit playing minecraft online due to the greifers... 15 hours on a project for people to just come by and smash it...  Really, PoD attacks to prevent his services from working... makes me wonder what else they do with their 80,000 hijacked computers...
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2010, 03:24:11 pm »

I play in a small community that's an offshoot of a subset of another forum I use. That forum is request-entrance, and apart from US law, it's unmoderated. if people can survive that (and it's not devolved into madness), they won't have trouble with the server. Everybody's an op, even. The TNT flows freely, I just finished blowing up an entire mountain to make room for Isengard.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2010, 03:24:46 pm »

There's a suggestions forum?
It's a trap.

I'll always have sympathy for one man programming situations though.. Sometimes your hand just doesn't have the cards. And, it really doesn't help when people get impatient.

I don't think I've released an update for my MUD since august - not out of lazyness (maybe partially), but mostly out of the fact I'm half way through a massive website side update that I can't release until it's all been coded up at once.
Sometimes these projects drag their heels, but when they do, there's nothing anyone can really do about it.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2010, 04:00:34 pm »

The one thing you have to realize is that Toady is just a talented man err dwarf.  We all get tired and must sleep for months at a time and attend year long parties, despite the legendary status....
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2010, 04:01:26 pm »

We all get tired and must sleep for months at a time and attend year long parties, despite the legendary status....
Finally a signature. Thank you!
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Monsterfurby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2010, 03:48:33 am »

That also probably explains why the fanbase for DF is a little more.. philosophical in their insanity compared to Minecraft.

Indeed. Though the only proper way to test that is to open a thread asking how to remove giant cave spiders from the game and wait for the first troll to post an image of a huge scary spider.

Actually, Minecraft is the only community where I saw this happen and promptly decided that if I wanted that level of maturity, I'd head right over to 4chan.

Erzrzore gur Vapvqrag.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2010, 01:20:06 am »

The Swine Flu doesn't stop Toady.

A DDOS attack wouldn't even register.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2010, 04:01:40 am »

People need to fucking cry less. Games get done when they get done and a developer needs a break. Some people need to realize that, omg, there are other games to play! Other things to do besides playing games! And, omg, maybe the developer is out doing these!
:O
I guess I've never understood people who get so god damned upset about this stuff.
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16