Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Will we defend the Toady?  (Read 37441 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Will we defend the Toady?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 01:55:27 pm »

Still, I'm pretty sure the best line of defense we have is the game itself. The learning curve cliff overhang covered in ☼Adamantine barbed wire☼ is a perfect way to sort out those who can't endure to wait.

The first lesson taught by DF is patience.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 03:05:48 pm »

the idea of such thuggery tainting these boards feels me with wonder at the greed of the few. >:(
its not odd that the debt to be the other way is it ?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 03:20:05 pm »

his esteemed poet laureate brother.

Just gonna point out that 'poet laureate' actually has a meaning and it's not 'really good poet', if that's what you were going for.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 03:38:34 pm »

Quote from: Wikipedia
A poet laureate (plural: poets laureate) is a poet officially appointed by a government and is often expected to compose poems for State occasions and other government events.
In the United Kingdom the term has for centuries been the title of the official poet of the monarch, since the time of Charles II. Poets laureate are appointed by many countries. In Britain there is also a Children's Laureate.

Yay Wikipedia.

Anyway, yeah, if someone could be so blatantly ignorant as to expect regular Dwarf Fortress releases as a matter of fact, and are childish enough to throw a temper tantrum when they don't get them, then they don't deserve Dwarf Fortress (and as has already been said, would be moderately impressive that they spent the time to learn it and get attached in the first place.)

If someone came around here and did that, I hope the backlash from the community alone would be enough to shut them up and discourage others from taking their behavior as an example.

That having been said, Toady also has my axe, for what it's worth.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 03:42:36 pm by Argembarger »
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 03:58:45 pm »

Quote from: Wikipedia
Anyway, yeah, if someone could be so blatantly ignorant as to expect regular Dwarf Fortress releases as a matter of fact, and are childish enough to throw a temper tantrum when they don't get them, then they don't deserve Dwarf Fortress (and as has already been said, would be moderately impressive that they spent the time to learn it and get attached in the first place.)

If someone came around here and did that, I hope the backlash from the community alone would be enough to shut them up and discourage others from taking their behavior as an example.

It has happened in the past, people were banned, massive threads were created etc.  I won't go into specifics, but it was more of a case of "toady should work on the features I WANT first".  Of course nothing as serious as a ddos or anything, but the df community hasn't been without its unpleasantness.

:edit: quote oddness

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 04:43:46 pm »

I'm pretty sick of gamer entitlement in general, legions of complainers simultaneously proud of their bitterness at the same time lamenting that things they used to enjoy are ruined forever. If people want to be an unpleasable fanbase, I'll be the first to recommend to Toady that he not try to please them.
Sounds like an army of straw men that you're fighting to me, but if Toady wants to get a real job and open source DF, I'll support him. Steady paycheck ought to win over scraping by on random donations. Otherwise, it's back to being a rock star programmer trying to win fame. What DF fans mostly blow steam about is their inability to do much anything besides money sending. The huge amount of outside apps and mods should speak about the huge workforce potential that goes untapped by Toady and DF project itself.

As for the Minecraft idiocy, it looks, based on the twitter messages, that it's some drunk teenage hacker group, (likely russian) that decided to fool with some Minecraft players by DDOSing and making a mockery of them by a ridiculous demand. Minecraft strifers are common. This is just more strife from the "haters who will hate." And likely envy about the $700,000 Minecraft sales motivated them as well.

IMO, Toady should put out 40d as a commercial version.

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 04:46:57 pm »

The huge amount of outside apps and mods should speak about the huge workforce potential that goes untapped by Toady and DF project itself.
Toady has stated far to many time to count that he intends to have DF be his little bayby.(C wat i did thar?) a
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 04:55:12 pm »

Toady has stated far to many time to count that he intends to have DF be his little bayby.(C wat i did thar?)
O I C WAT U DID THAR.

And, to be honest, I'd rather have just one project too. I mean, if you had Dwarf Fortress Commertial and Dwarf Fortress Beta versions, it'd just get so confusing. Especially with release licensing.
Not to mention the huge populatrity this place gets from the fact that there's no charge to play DF.
(Even though, I personally would be prepaired to pay for it - that's only because I've had the chance to play it already, without any 30 day deadlines.)
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Felix the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 05:19:49 pm »

I think DF is relatively immune to the sort of thing that is, on its face, going on at Minecraft.

I call it the "paying customer" effect, after the phrase that inevitably shows up on the forums for any game that charges money. The phrase is always associated with a display of entitlement for whatever change/non-change is being demanded.

It has to do with the psychology of ownership. People paid money for Minecraft (if only a small amount of money). Once they pay money, they feel entitled to the complete use of the product, including any implied guarantees of future updates. They simultaneously feel entitled to updates and feel entitled to the product they paid for, creating weird situations where whatever happens some people will be annoyed and the phrase "paying customers" will likely be bandied about on forums, because group X believes that more updates are required, while group Y is bitching because the last update changed something they like...

Since Toady and ThreeToe are the only people who own DF, there are no "paying customers" to make repeated and contradictory demands, and DDoS attacks are limited to the normal teenage leet hax0rs.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 05:29:44 pm »

I don't think this would work on DF players.

It's the old "Immunity to trolling" thing again. Most of you have built up so much patience that this sort of thing just gets shrugged off with a resounding "meh".

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 05:44:11 pm »

It's the old "Immunity to trolling" thing again. Most of you have built up so much patience that this sort of thing just gets shrugged off with a resounding "meh".
And we'd return to discussing Mermaids. Or Elves.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 05:50:15 pm »

Or perhaps how to kill Mermaids with Elves.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2010, 05:58:02 pm »

Slightly creepy.
Meh, I couldn't care less.
I was drunk when writting that (just quit from my horrible job and celebrated) and am not going to edit my post now.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 05:58:57 pm »

Or perhaps how to kill Mermaids with Elves.
You could theoretically do it by putting a trade depot over the ocean then opening floor hatches to drop them in.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 06:49:06 pm »

Consider the fact that minecraft's fanbase consists mostly of 13 year old script kiddies with autistic tendencies. The other half is old people with way too much time on their hands. DF players overall are mostly reasonable people apart from the obsession with killing people by pinching their exposed guts, colonize hell and dowsing everything else in magma.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16