Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Will we defend the Toady?  (Read 37430 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Will we defend the Toady?
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2010, 06:58:37 pm »

Don't forget the creation of massive structures made entirely of soap.

Or if modding, bones.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2010, 07:20:02 pm »

Still, I'm pretty sure the best line of defense we have is the game itself. The learning curve cliff overhang covered in ☼Adamantine barbed wire☼ is a perfect way to sort out those who can't endure to wait.

The first lesson taught by DF is patience.

The second: Madness.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2010, 08:27:13 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:30:31 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Goose in a jar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2010, 08:30:02 pm »

I think people have a right to complain about... well anything, on the basis of free speech. Sure moderators are fully within their rights to well, moderate.

If someone is attacking something in some manner other than words supposedly to "improve" it, I would find their stated motives questionable at best.

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2010, 09:07:37 pm »

To be frank, if I was in Notch's position I would hold out an update as long as humanly possible until funds run out, or until some form of legal action is taken against the bot's owners (I wont elaborate because I don't know a damn thing about how the law would work in that situation, and especially not how it would work in Sweden).

Children will be children. Say the update is ready. Then post lots of enticing things about the update. Then let everyone know that the update will be pushed back for X amount of time until the terrorism stops. Sure, it may not be the best solution, but if he gives in then they'll just do it every time Notch doesn't meet their needs. Which would be a lot.

Edit: Wait... Wouldn't this discussion only work if you assumed that the 4Chan community has the intelligence and attention span required to play this game? I didn't realize they could find joy in defeat.
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2010, 10:35:57 pm »

Edit: Wait... Wouldn't this discussion only work if you assumed that the 4Chan community has the intelligence and attention span required to play this game? I didn't realize they could find joy in defeat.
>implying the entire 4chan userbase is a single community

Dwarf Fortress threads are not uncommon on /tg/ (the traditional games board).
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2010, 12:02:50 am »

Thats rediculous! Why would a user torture the programmer that brought them the game??  Notch apparently is working on the business side of things right now, making the best use of the money he has made so far, building up a team. There is bound to be delays while this is happening.

There is no way I would ever even entertain the idea of trying to force my will apon Toady. I'm glad the community here tend to be more respectful, like others have said, the learning curve here tends to keep away some of the undesirables you might find in a game like minecraft.

Keep up the good work Toady! May you never be terrorised by wastes of spaces like those DDOS attackers.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2010, 01:29:26 am »

In brief, angry Minecraft players who want more updates, have launched an attack (what ever DDOS is) on minecrafts (servers, or website). To try and coerce its developer into putting out releases faster.
Was it ever confirmed that's why it was attacked? I think the general reasoning I was reading on the Minecraft forums was that it was a random attack targeted because the game had gained a certain level of popularity.

Also I wouldn't be concerned with it happening to Bay 12. The maturity difference between both communities is pretty staggering. Half the people on the Minecraft forums can barely spell. At least one of the "Lets Play" type videos I swear the voice over sounded like a drugged teen who couldn't get his thoughts together.

Not to mention, this game involves donations over paying for it. Really if Minecraft were going to cost money, it shouldn't really have been released until it was in beta. At the very least, the developer shouldn't have gotten into a habit of releasing an update every week. Now that it isn't happening, there are a lot of pissed kiddies who think they have some right to run a script and take the site out.

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2010, 01:57:20 am »

In brief, angry Minecraft players who want more updates, have launched an attack (what ever DDOS is) on minecrafts (servers, or website). To try and coerce its developer into putting out releases faster.
Was it ever confirmed that's why it was attacked? I think the general reasoning I was reading on the Minecraft forums was that it was a random attack targeted because the game had gained a certain level of popularity.

Ah. Minecraft's population finally reached 80! Happy days!
Either that or he has a really high wealth.

:D
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2010, 03:11:19 am »

Then let everyone know that the update will be pushed back for X amount of time until the terrorism stops.

This really won't work because someone else will just keep doing it for the lulz.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2010, 07:01:00 am »

Wait... Wouldn't this discussion only work if you assumed that the 4Chan community has the intelligence and attention span required to play this game? I didn't realize they could find joy in defeat.
/tg/ is pretty cool. They introduced me to Dwarf Fortress, so I owe them a lifelong debt.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2010, 10:37:23 am »

his esteemed poet laureate brother.

Just gonna point out that 'poet laureate' actually has a meaning and it's not 'really good poet', if that's what you were going for.

i know, its a position to HM as the UKs poet, but in the UK its colloquial for really good writter in general.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2010, 10:52:53 am »

People can't attack Toady the same way they attacked Minecraft, simply because DF is not a networked game. All a DDOS attack would do is temporarily disable the download server, maybe the forums, but people who already have the game downloaded would still be able to play it, and the community would take steps to mitigate the problem (set up a temporary server, use other means of uploading the files, etc). It would slow development by taking time away to solve the problems, but unlike Minecraft, the game DF itself wouldn't be completely crippled by said attacks.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2010, 10:59:12 am »

Wow, those are some serious grade-A losers...maybe they should try taking a break from Minecraft, going outside, or finding something else to do in the meantime.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2010, 12:05:35 pm »

For some reason it seems like Notch handled the whole thing really well despite his fifth grade-like audience. I would volunteer to host a server with DF's latest version etc. if bay12 went down. However it seems highly unlikely that that might happen given that a lot of the community here is much older.

Also I noticed that Minecraft is deemed similar to a children's game "Roblox" and that's one of the things most of the community talks about. So it's not really just the maturity level in assumptions - a good portion of their community most likely really aren't even in middle school yet.

It's kind of unfortunate.
Any of you guys read the online comic "2P START!" when it was still running? They had a comments section below every comic and every other comment would say something like "FAIL" (3rd grader) "This comic sucks i can do beter" (5th grader) or "Eh... the arms are too knobby. So, fail in my book. Bye" (Middle school and up).
It's kind of like that, you know?
I am disappointed in humanity  :(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16