Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Will we defend the Toady?  (Read 37425 times)

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will we defend the Toady?
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2010, 12:19:48 pm »

Yeah the sense of entitlement is ridiculous. DF and Minecraft are both like precious gems hidden in a sea of filthy crap. Why anyone would wish them harm is beyond me.

Leperous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2010, 01:37:06 pm »

I'd say Minecraft & DF face different issues: the former is under attack for lacking new features, which means players get bored, and the latter has long outstanding bugs that don't get any attention, which means that people get really angry when their massive time investments go up in smoke.

Both are lucky to have dedicated programmers committed to their work, but most players quite often disagree with the direction they are taken, perhaps because the developers themselves aren't themselves hardcore players.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 01:38:43 pm by Leperous »

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2010, 03:50:13 pm »

I would station myself in the burrow outside Toady's royal apartment complex wielding my favourite battle axe and wearing my favourite armour/sock combination.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2010, 04:17:34 pm »

Seriously who is really crazy enough to go in full flame blazing against THE ONE AND ONLY ONE TOAD! when there is a HUGE over-protective dwarven army standing between? The guy is sure hell looking forward a long and painfull death crying to be treated like elf....

French here, dont bash my typpos please :)
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2010, 04:24:45 pm »

The Dwarf Fortress community is rather selective. Of the majority of people I've successfully roped into trying Dwarf Fortress, all but one have left. To have a fan base that is mad enough at the developers, large enough to band together, and can actually do something about it wouldn't be plausible, at least for now.

However, we should install magma pumps on Toady's burrow, just in case. We do like building magma pumps.
Meowth! That's right!

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2010, 12:05:06 am »

I'm a fan of minecraft, but DF is my first love.  The community over at minecraft makes me appreciate the DF community all  the more.  As others have said, I think the game itself is simply too complicated to attract the usual compliment of internet morons. 

The most hilarious complaint I read on the minecraft forums was someone complaining about Notch spending time to add a (seemingly) redundant rock type for the upcoming update.  Really, you are complaining about a redundant rock type?  Stay away from DF, we have dozens of rock types with no functional differences, and we LIKE IT!

And Toady has my trained-attack-carp-onna-stick!

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2010, 01:36:38 am »

bay12 already got DDoS'd by fans. On the 1st of April this year. (Yes, I took part in it, so did you most likely!)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2010, 02:21:13 am »

I would station myself in the burrow outside Toady's royal apartment complex wielding my favourite battle axe and wearing my favourite armour/sock combination.
If you do that his neighbors will call the cop on you.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2010, 02:28:33 am »

Well the LARGEST difference between DF and Minecraft is

Minecraft charges you money

When you pay money for a product that says it will deliver you are allowed to be somewhat mad.

By all means your allowed to be mad at Minecraft for not updating in the way that you would like, by all means I think Minecraft is severely over-rated even more so then Dwarf Fortress and I think the creator starting selling him game earlier then he should have, but attacking the servers itself doesn't help.

Actually I am going to go on the line and say that it really is the Creator's fault

He released a barely finished game and said "Hey buy it now and see results" and then notices that people tend to get impatient waiting extremely long periods of time with little actual gameplay improvement. When you don't charge people you at least got a "well at least I didn't pay for it"

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2010, 08:21:21 am »

I'm pretty sure there's something in the terms and conditions of Minecraft or something that says Notch is not obligated to ever update if he doesn't feel like it and is allowed to abandon Minecraft if he gets bored.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2010, 01:26:39 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:40:55 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2010, 01:34:42 pm »

He has my eternal allegiance. As well as that of my... associates. AXE! JAVELIN! MACE! FALL IN!
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2010, 04:25:23 pm »

You forgot Trident...

Also: ball & chain =/= mace.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2010, 04:26:01 pm »

Hey, I'm  just going with their official names.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2010, 05:53:36 pm »

Also: ball & chain =/= mace.
If fact, it is. Ball & Chain = a form of flail which= a form of mace. Get your facts straight.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16